No announcement yet.

Virtual Texturing Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noticed a UX bug where if you 'open source location' a UDIM virtual texture it opens the source folder a few times
    I've had it open 2 and 3 at different times

Comment

so I've attached a simple virtual texture shader (character udim 4x4- some 4k some 128px textures from substance painter to unreal) to 2 skeletal meshes same one to both
      one shows dark green while the other shows red

are there any gotchas for keeping things relatively lower on that shader scale?
      is it polycount? or something else?

Comment

Trying to use it with any type of particle system crashes the engine

Comment

Ignore my msg above
          it was 2 stacked meshes i didn't notice

Comment

Can anyone explain what the two first digits in the UDIM-code represents (the 10 in name.10xx.png) ?
            I tried messing around changing the two numbers but the results are strange. I can't figure it out!
            (Google didn't help me)

Comment

The starting UDIM number of 1001 is basically arbitrary. The last digit is the U (x) coordinate, which ranges from 1-9. So 1001, 1002, ... 1009. The remainder of the digits are the V (y) coordinate. These are allowed to go above 9...once they do, they will 'spill' over into the first 2 digits. So 1001, 1011, 1021, ... 1091, 1101, 1111, 1121, etc. If you needed a V coordinate above 99, then it would cause the initial 1 to become a 2. So 2001 would represent U=0, V=100.

Comment

Hi Everyone! I have 1px border in the each tile on my Udim texture. Could you please help me fix this?

UDP: Problem solved. Tiling Method - Clamp
                Last edited by invizx3; 10-15-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm trying to map a material to a simple DAZZ character using the UDIM setup with virtual texturing enabled.
                  Importing the 7 textures results in one virtual texture with al 7 images included (see image). So I guess that's ok

The mesh has UV's layed out for the UDIM setup. So I created a material for testing and attached the virtual texture to the basecolor input.
                  The result (see image) is not what it should be.

I've tried several things. Adding a texture coordinate, playing with settings sampler source and const coordinate. NOthing seems to work or fix the problem.

Hope somebody can help me out!

Cheers,
                  Marcus
                  Attached Files

Comment

Try adding an empty 8th texture to your layout. 4.23 has a bug where non-power-2 UDIM layouts don't work correctly (should be fixed in 4.23.1)

Comment

Hello, I haven't seen any info about Tessellation in the whole topic:

Given the objective is to use Virtual Textures on landscapes, will it ever/(when will it) be possible to get Virtual Textured Tessellation as well? Currently the shaders error out if you plug a virtual texture into the tessellation pin.
                      To bypass that you end up with more texture samples in use, so it's not exactly a performance gain.

Comment

I've been playing with virtual texturing in landscape materials and have been getting a lot of crashing doing tests

I have 2 questions - are there caveats to using virtual textures inside material functions for landscapes?
                        is using VT with lots of layering with UV tricks not a good idea?

I seemed to crash a lot when i tried to layer a few endless textures
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiBhArwW7YU&t=470s

Comment

Sorry if someone already asked this (I didn't have time yet to read all previous pages here), but:
                          - Is it possible to use virtual texturing for a landscape that uses a material that automatically textures slopes/cliffs, using world aligned textures etc?

I didn't try it yet, but I was wondering here how this would be stored in a 2D texture, as it has texturing in 3 dimensions, in a sense...
                          ATARU
                          www.atarugame.com
                          www.facebook.com/atarugame
                          www.twitter.com/atarugame
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTu...uHXLnF3ix6GGTA
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a200tHomA0w
                          www.instagram.com/atarugame

Comment

Mostly just leaving some feedback.

Enabling VT cuts framerate/ms by around 20fps on kitedemo. This seems to be because of the increased number of draw calls.

Likewise, implementing VT with 8k textures on a 2km landscape provided only a loss of performance. And quality obviously, since there is no virtual texture tessellation yet.

As a result, I dont think it's a generally good idea to implement any of this in a working project just yet. Maybe once the links get worked out, and If the performance stops dropping on the final scenes.
                            It would have to really just be the same performance or better then not using it, and a frame loss of 20fps to draw calls is pretty prohibitive.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryBlues View Post
                              Sorry if someone already asked this (I didn't have time yet to read all previous pages here), but:
                              - Is it possible to use virtual texturing for a landscape that uses a material that automatically textures slopes/cliffs, using world aligned textures etc?

I didn't try it yet, but I was wondering here how this would be stored in a 2D texture, as it has texturing in 3 dimensions, in a sense...
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGu8PWEevk
                              you can do that with tri planar mapping already with world coodinates

i think i saw somewhere there's a node with that built into the engine as well,
                              i've only tested tri planar on objects

Comment

Originally posted by MostHost LA View Post
                                Mostly just leaving some feedback.

Enabling VT cuts framerate/ms by around 20fps on kitedemo. This seems to be because of the increased number of draw calls.

Likewise, implementing VT with 8k textures on a 2km landscape provided only a loss of performance. And quality obviously, since there is no virtual texture tessellation yet.

As a result, I dont think it's a generally good idea to implement any of this in a working project just yet. Maybe once the links get worked out, and If the performance stops dropping on the final scenes.
                                It would have to really just be the same performance or better then not using it, and a frame loss of 20fps to draw calls is pretty prohibitive.
                                is that using the virtual texture volume? or just virtual textures?

Comment

Working...
                                X