No announcement yet.

Virtual Texturing Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody is feeling like throwing a bone my way?

Comment

I don't know how you got 24 4k textures in one UDIM import, if you read the older posts, you can see that I was only able to get smaller sizes in
      and beningram said that at the moment only 16,384 x 16384 texture is stable. I could be wrong though.

but building my own giant textures in photoshop with max 4x4 tiles at 4k seems to work completely fine

Comment

ok, yes, I see that there is some confusion, probably mostly on my part, but here is what I do.

-I have a folder with 24 4k textures.
        -I drag 1/24 textures in to UE.
        -UE then shows me one texture file in my content browser, and when I double click that texture, it shows me this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	importudim.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	1660735

Which led me to believe that I now had a VT texture with all my 24 textures in it(40,960x12,288), that I can apply to my model (which has 24 udim slots)

But by looking at the image, it is clear that, the image at least, only contains the texture from that 1 image that I dragged and dropped in to UE, and applying it to my model just creates a mess.

Comment

Limkork You need to enable Virtual Texture Streaming in your project settings. You can see the texture method is 'Streamed' rather than 'Virtual Streamed'. Also, the size is only 4k by 4k, which represents only the first UDIM tile. With VT enabled, UDIM texture size should represent the entire UDIM space.

Comment

test a subset to isolate your issue,
            take a few meshes with textures only within a 4x4 grid (assumed safe area VT size of 16k x 16k) (1001-1004 , 1031-1034)

import only a folder with those texture tiles in it
            and throw it onto a that mesh

Comment

Ok, thank you for your feedback.

beningram I have now turned on VTS in my project settings, and the textures are now in the correct configuration, but as you can see from my images, I am still not able to get the textures to line up correctly, are there any settings in the import panel of the model that I need to be aware of to get the proper result?

Name:	VT-ISSUE1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	1661133

Name:	VT-ISSUE2.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	529.5 KB
ID:	1661132

Name:	VT-ISSUE3.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	1661131

Comment

Limkork Just found a bug with UDIM layout sizes that aren't a power-of-2, which I suspect is causing your problem. If you add some padding images to make each UDIM dimension a power of 2, that may fix things. UDIM efficiently supports images of different sizes, so you should be able to use empty 128x128 textures to add padding without using a significant amount of memory.

Comment

@beningram Does reimporting UDIMs work? Instantly crashes the editor for me. Tested multiple meshes/projects.
                  Last edited by The_Distiller; 09-10-2019, 09:14 PM.
                  ArtStation - Portfolio

Comment

After some tests, it looks like the quality of the virtual texture is relative to the size of the RuntimeVirtualTextureVolume which make this unusable on landscape for almost every project, even while setting the size of the virtual texture in the RVT asset to 8 (max value), unless you work on a landscape smaller than a RuntimeVirtualTextureVolume with scale of 10000*10000 max.
                    While using it on a 8kmĀ² lanscape it goes from this : Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00000.jpg Views:	1 Size:	548.8 KB ID:	1661769
                    To this :
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	278.9 KB ID:	1661770
                    In fact, to get the same quality than in the first screenshot, I have to set the scale of the RuntimeVirtualTextureVolume to 5000*5000 which is not really usable

Comment

Originally posted by beningram View Post
                      Limkork Just found a bug with UDIM layout sizes that aren't a power-of-2, which I suspect is causing your problem. If you add some padding images to make each UDIM dimension a power of 2, that may fix things. UDIM efficiently supports images of different sizes, so you should be able to use empty 128x128 textures to add padding without using a significant amount of memory.
                      beningram Ok, do you mean that the number of UDIM islands pr object should be power-of-2?

Comment

UDIM textures are logically arranged in space by XY coordinates in the file name. Until the bug is fixed, this space needs to have power of 2 dimensions. For example this sequence makes a 2x2 grid, so it should work: 1001, 1002, 1011, 1012. If you add an additional 1003, 1013, then you have a 3x2 grid and it won't work correctly for now. If this is the layout you need, adding 1004, 1014 would make a 4x2 grid which will work again.

Comment

UDIM textures are logically arranged in space by XY coordinates in the file name. Until the bug is fixed, this space needs to have power of 2 dimensions. For example this sequence makes a 2x2 grid, so it should work: 1001, 1002, 1011, 1012. If you add an additional 1003, 1013, then you have a 3x2 grid and it won't work correctly for now. If this is the layout you need, adding 1004, 1014 would make a 4x2 grid which will work again.
                          Hi, I understand that you worked on virtual texture and not runtime virtual texture but can you ask someone in charge of runtime virtual texture to answer the problem I posted just above please?
                          This feature is really interesting for roads and path and spline decals has been requested for years

Comment

Does anyone else get random crashes in a packaged build with VT?
                            Error: Assertion failed: BlockWidthInTiles > 0u [File:E:/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/Renderer/Private/VT/VirtualTextureSystem.cpp] [Line:366]
                            is the error my team keeps getting seemingly at random. We have a fair bit of virtual textures in use so not sure if it's related to the amount we're using or if anyone else has come across it?

Comment

> Hi, I understand that you worked on virtual texture and not runtime virtual texture but can you ask someone in charge of runtime virtual texture to answer the problem I posted just above please?
                              The engineer in charge of runtime VT will be on the UE4 live stream tomorrow (9/19) at 2pm EST. I'll be on as well. That would be a good opportunity to ask questions (or maybe the answer will be proved).

> Does anyone else get random crashes in a packaged build with VT?
                              I've never seen that Assert hit, that suggests there's something wrong with one of your VT textures (size is 0). Are you getting that as you play through a level, or when switching between levels?

Comment

> Does anyone else get random crashes in a packaged build with VT?
                                I've never seen that Assert hit, that suggests there's something wrong with one of your VT textures (size is 0). Are you getting that as you play through a level, or when switching between levels?
                                Specifically when playing through a level. Don't think anyone's reported it happening when switching between levels but I'll double check to see if anyone's had that.

For the texture size as 0, how would that happen? They should all be a power of 2, ranging from 256 to 4096.

Comment

Working...
                                X