Virtual Texturing Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shabani View Post

As far as I tested you can use an opacity mask in RVT and now even in runtime(without collision), and check my video to see changes in 4.26, they added Virtual Heightfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJI...ature=youtu.be
    Thanks! RVT is not exactly the case I have. I am using Streaming Virtual Texturing that sadly do not support sampling into Opacity Mask channel so I have to... duplicate textures. Feelsbadman.

Comment

In 4.26 VT works well at runtime.in the previous version, you should convert RVT volume to blueprint.

https://twitter.com/YShabani1980/status/1312055960517574657
      Thats awesome. Thanks for the tutorial to!

Comment

As far as I tested you can use an opacity mask in RVT and now even in runtime(without collision), and check my video to see changes in 4.26, they added Virtual Heightfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJI...ature=youtu.be
        btw, one thing that isn't immediately clear. Does this support runtime changes and collision?
        if so, we can finally create non voxel modifiable landscapes.... I'll have to run some tests... if you happen to reply please quote so I get a notification

Comment

Hello,

Pretty new to Unreal, but a VFX Veteran. I am trying to replicate a bit of VFX work in Unreal and see how close I can get it. Now I am struggling with one basic thing already.
          I have a character with UDIMs imported as an alembic cache, I have the UDIM textures as exrs and they import fine as Virtual Textures (Virtual texturing enabled and show VT in the bottom right corner)

When adding the VT texture to the base colour input of my material and apply the material to the entire static mesh, I get the UDIM 1001 correctly applied, but all other UDIMs show incorrectly.

When I view the texture in the editor I see the layout of all the textures (are they supposed to show UDIM 1001 in the top left corner and 1011 underneath? - different than UDIM standard)
          The Static mesh has 2 UV layouts, but I use the main one representing the texture UDIMs, Otherwise UDIM 1001 would be incorrect
          When I toggle the UV Layout on, in the static mesh editor I can only see UDIM 1001, a bit of 1002 and 1011. Here the UDIMs show correctly laid out with 1011 on top of 1001 and 1002 to the right of 1001. Is there another UV viewer where you can zoom out a bit?

So, I am not sure what and where things go wrong.

How are the UDIMs supposed to show up in the texture editor?
          Can I see more of my mesh's UVs, beyond 1001?

How do I get the other textures to the correct UDIMs?

texture naming is:
          asset_basecolor.1001.exr

Thanks a lot

Comment

beningram Creating composite virtual textures still doesn't work in 4.26.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Composite_Texture_426.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1824404
            ArtStation - Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by MostHost LA View Post

btw, one thing that isn't immediately clear. Does this support runtime changes and collision?
              if so, we can finally create non voxel modifiable landscapes.... I'll have to run some tests... if you happen to reply please quote so I get a notification
              Did u tested that? I doubt collisions are possible..

Comment

Did anything changed to rendering a static mesh to RVT in 4.26 (Preview 4) ? Im missing the material domain setting like in the image below:

Name:	Knipsel.PNG
Views:	322
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1826126

Comment

Originally posted by BulleTime View Post
                  Did anything changed to rendering a static mesh to RVT in 4.26 (Preview 4) ? Im missing the material domain setting like in the image below:

Views:	322
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1826126
                  Yeah man, the exact issue I'm having... I'm losing my mind trying to figure it out. A bug perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by decksounds13 View Post

Yeah man, the exact issue I'm having... I'm losing my mind trying to figure it out. A bug perhaps?
                    So i found in 4.26 i was able to just write to RVT without need to plugin it into the material output (leaving it empty) I guess the Material Domain is thus not needed anymore:

Views:	284
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1827057

Comment

Originally posted by BulleTime View Post

So i found in 4.26 i was able to just write to RVT without need to plugin it into the material output (leaving it empty) I guess the Material Domain is thus not needed anymore:

Views:	284
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1827057
                      I've tried that and it seems to work for the terrain/object blending thing but I'm not so sure it's working with the SVT volume. I think VT is broken in the new preview, the virtual mesh thing definitely doesn't work in this release. If anyone is getting that to work in Preview 4 I would love to know how.

Comment

I set RVT for my landscape composition in a way where each tile has it's own landscape material, RVT volume and RVT asset. It works and makes my landscape material shader less complex as well as gaining good 2ms. But I couldn't get textures to look consistently good at angles. It's especially noticeable in VR. No matter how much I change resolution and feedback resolution factor I keep getting blurry textures at angles and at the edge of the screen.

What am I missing?

Comment

Working...
                        X