Epic staff check forums and answer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post
    ...it'd be the businesses' task to keep the material up-to-date / I don't see the need of Epic involvement here.
    The pace of engine change means 3rd-Party training will always lag. Epic's own staff have doubled in 2 years and even they're having trouble keeping new hires and contractors up-to-date (see Bruno's link above). There's also a symbiosis between documentation and training, so Epic are definitely best placed here.

Industry example... Whenever training left Microsoft and went to 3rd-Parties it tended to stink quickly (being more about pass-rates and profit than quality tuition etc). Plus Epic already run academies... Its just not on a permanent basis in multiple locations (right now anyway). Honestly I don't know how to be any clearer.

I've no idea why you think Epic shouldn't be involved or oversee the training process at least. You seem to have something against the idea which you haven't said yet maybe??? Anyway, right now to me, your reasons against doing it are not that strong...But hey I'm open to changing view if there's something more.
    Last edited by ClavosTech; 05-10-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClavosTech View Post

The pace of engine change means 3rd-Party training will always lag. Epic's own staff have doubled in 2 years and so even they're having trouble keeping up-to-date (see Bruno's link above). There is also a symbiosis between documentation and training manuals, so Epic are definitely the best placed here.

Industry example... Whenever training left Microsoft and went to 3rd-Parties it tended to stink quickly (being more about pass-rates and profit than quality tuition etc). Plus Epic already run academies... Its just not on a permanent basis in multiple locations at the moment. Honestly I don't know how to be any clearer. I've no idea why you think Epic shouldn't be involved or oversee this at the very least. You seem to have something against the idea which you haven't explained yet maybe??? To me your reasons for not doing it are not that strong..
      It's great if they could publish materials, but it sounds unrealistic that Epic will start regular classroom courses around the world either by traveling all the time or opening offices in multiple countries. I can't imagine it as the part of the business plan. Almost every technical courses on the world are driven by 3rd parties, not specifically by the author companies. 3ds Max, Wacom, Maya, Unity, etc, all these classroom courses are driven by 3rd parties, not by Autodesk or Unity or whatever. It might be different, maybe even viable where you live, but I haven't seen a single example of it in my life.
      LinkedIn, Engine Contributions
      Polars (WIP), Game Jam Projects
      Marketplace: Viewport Utilities, Blueprint Streams, Control Structures

Comment

I guess things are just simpler.
        If there are 1000 guys working at Epic let's hire someone else to be 1001 or 1002, and make those community manager with enough tech knowledge to cover the relevant issues at forums, ask the proper person to resolve something they don't know, let the community know they are here listening to community, working in documentation, wikis, updates, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post

It's great if they could publish materials, but it sounds unrealistic that Epic will start regular classroom courses around the world either by traveling all the time or opening offices in multiple countries. I can't imagine it as the part of the business plan. Almost every technical courses on the world are driven by 3rd parties, not specifically by the author companies. 3ds Max, Wacom, Maya, Unity, etc, all these classroom courses are driven by 3rd parties, not by Autodesk or Unity or whatever. It might be different, maybe even viable where you live, but I haven't seen a single example of it in my life.
          This is already happening though. You hear it every-time 'a Zak Parish of Epic' talks about travel and work. Its also in job descriptions of new hires etc. So Epic are dispatching people, but its mostly on the Enterprise side. I understand what you're saying that tech training is by and large covered in partner industries though. However Epic could first hand pick those partners and have a big say in how the training operates, ensuring quality is maintained. So Epic definitely have some role to play here.

Plus its clear from that link above that Unreal is ballooning in use across many diverse industries, that they're going to get plagued with requests for better docs and training. I mentioned Microsoft before... Essentially Unreal is the new MS-Office if you think about it. Its starting to become all pervasive and used by everyone. So Epic are going to have to do something or give some partner a special box of materials and a blessing! Epic already have offices in lots of hubs too so its not that big an ask.
          Last edited by ClavosTech; 05-10-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Well, I guess time will tell how it will turn out. It can happen that they privately instruct companies, especially if they plan to switch to Unreal and etc, I just don't see widely available classes to be profitable. Maybe in some very dense hubs with hundreds of wannabe developers, but well, I believe statistically most of us don't live in cities where it's worth to maintain
            LinkedIn, Engine Contributions
            Polars (WIP), Game Jam Projects
            Marketplace: Viewport Utilities, Blueprint Streams, Control Structures

Comment

Hey all,

I wanted to chime in and let you know that we're not ignoring this thread.

The three of us, Amanda, Victor, and I, are not taking what was said here lightly, and are working together to take the necessary steps to respond with more than just words.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalvothe View Post
                Hey all,

I wanted to chime in and let you know that we're not ignoring this thread.

The three of us, Amanda, Victor, and I, are not taking what was said here lightly, and are working together to take the necessary steps to respond with more than just words.

Thanks!
                Hi, thanks. Very appreciated.

Meanwhile, do you plan to make available footage of Unreal events like the one in Prague a month ago? All that knowledge is like mana for us

Comment

Originally posted by Jorhoto View Post
                  Hi, thanks. Very appreciated.

Meanwhile, do you plan to make available footage of Unreal events like the one in Prague a month ago? All that knowledge is like mana for us
                  We're evaluating the content from various events that we host and work to release that content. That said, stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                  X