Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAUNCHER] Bug in Epic Launcher

Hi all,

I don't know where to post launcher related bug reports, so i do it here.

i encountered this week a bug in epic launcher relating to plugins.

I don't know what exactly lead to this, but i think the launcher isn't deleting the whole plugin folder if a newer version of the plugin is available.
    This happened to me with the DungeonArchitect plugin. I got a few older files (in different folders) which were not deleted (intermediate and source folder).
    They even persisted uninstalling the plugin from the engine via the launcher.
    My guess is, that you only operate over a file list, but if the plugin moves files from folder A to folder B they were not deleted. Possibly happened to me because i skipped a few releases of it, dunno for sure tho.

Fix should be easy, just clear the whole folder when updating/uninstalling/installing the plugin.
    There should never be a leftover file, because this could lead to other (easily exploitable security related) issues.

Regards

Algorithman
    Last edited by Algorithman; 03-15-2019, 04:38 AM. Reason: removed [Launcher] in heading

PS: i tried to enter a bug report at https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/, but i was hit with a access denied error (why????), so you have to deal with this here.

Comment

Hi Algorithman.

For reference, you can use this form - https://epicgames.helpshift.com/a/ep...her/?contact=1 - for reporting launcher issues.

​​​​​​​Thanks
      Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Hi Stephen,

i did, but i refered to the original case number, since i wrote quite a bit of text. I hope they can cross reference to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Algorithman View Post
          PS: i tried to enter a bug report at https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/, but i was hit with a access denied error (why????), so you have to deal with this here.
          Hello Algorithman,

Are you still experiencing issues trying to create bug submissions with that form? It is not the correct form to use to report issues with the Launcher but we are concerned if people are getting errors when attempting to use it. Do you encounter the error when trying to access the site or when attempting to submit the form? If it's the latter, would you be able to try submitting another to see if you get the same error?

If you are still receiving an error, can you provide a screenshot of the message you receive?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Comment

Matthew J Hi Matthew, i got a xml response after submit which stated access denied. Don't know why But why isnt that the correct form? It had the launcher in the dropdown and it looks more like the technical bug form than the other one.

Stephen Ellis The response i got from your link was quite dissatisfying. I know you're at GDC and all, but the answer was totally missing the point:

Thank you for contacting Epic Games Player Support! My name is Nick and I will be glad to assist, inform and be useful to you, as much as I can.

I can completely relate to your concerns over this since you just want your game available again, to sign in and have some fun with it. I'll do my best to be effective on this, you have my word!

Since you initially contacted us, we have had multiple instances of service outages regarding the Launcher function. We have already released updates which have resolved these issues. At this time, we believe you should be able to connect and play. If you still experiencing the same effects, please re-open this ticket by replying back to me on this thread of communication.

Since our goal is to never leave any question marks on your mind, please reply back to us and re-open this ticket if you still have any queries about this!v
            My ticket didn't even include the word game...
            That's why i don't like to submit on your fortnite support form, i know beforehand that it'll never reach the persons who know what to do. They're focused on games, not devs.

To make things short:
            Please tell the launcher devs to sanitize the plugin folders before update/after uninstall.

and sorry for being a bit salty, i had my experiences with customer supports of all kind and they almost never react the right to technical stuff.
            Last edited by Algorithman; 03-17-2019, 04:28 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Hello Algorithman,

About the response to your ticket, I apologize for the seemingly unrelated response. I've reached out to our support team personally and they're looking into the ticket, despite that response you received.

Originally posted by Algorithman View Post
              Matthew J Hi Matthew, i got a xml response after submit which stated access denied. Don't know why But why isnt that the correct form? It had the launcher in the dropdown and it looks more like the technical bug form than the other one.
              If you're using the Bug Submission form, the Launcher should not be a selection for any of the fields on that form. If you still see a Launcher option on that form, would you be able to provide a screenshot of it so that I can take a look?

As for the reason this is not the proper form, the people who handle the submissions from the Bug Submission form (the team I'm part of) are completely separate from the team that handles the requests that are entered through the other form that Stephen provided.

Comment

Working...
              X