Blueprint Pin Connection Bounding Box Size Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FEATURE REQUEST] Blueprint Pin Connection Bounding Box Size Increase

UPDATE: After some discussion this post has evolved to where I believe a worthwhile solution is having a hotkey toggle between blueprint editing modes.
    One mode would revolve around wiring up connections, and another would revolve around moving and organizing nodes.
    Node creation, snapping, and auto-connect (features from Graph Node Assistant) would function the same in either mode.

ORIGINAL POST: The main issue I am trying to resolve is trying to drag a wire off of an unlabeled pin such as an "Exec" pin.
    The bounding box sizes for pin connections on blueprint nodes should be as large as possible, without interfering with other behavior.

It's worth noting that there should be two different behaviors depending on whether you are dragging of a new wire, or you are already dragging around a wire and looking to "complete" it.

Attached is a comparison of what it currently is versus what I am suggesting when you are trying to connect a wire you are dragging around.
    As an alternative, the snapping behavior in the Graph Node Assistant Plugin accomplishes this quite well, however still suffers from the issue when creating a new wire and trying to grab the little "Out" pin.

Open to suggestions, but perhaps I should just provide feedback to PureDog on his Graph Node Asisstant Plugin, and request the functionality there be default Editor behavior.
    Last edited by frozen3v0lution; 03-16-2019, 02:34 PM.

I agree, but it shouldn't make dragging nodes harder either.. For me dragging nodes has priority.

Comment

Very valid point, something I also realized after I posted.
      I'll update the original post, but what I have highlighted should be the behavior if you are dragging around an unconnected wire.
      Whereas if you are dragging off a new wire they should be more generous in the vertical and a little more in the horizontal, but not at the expense of grabbing the node.
      That said, a node would always be grabbable from its title bar.

Comment

Actually I found a great tool this week. It increases the Blueprint functionallity to a great extend. I think all those features should be integrated inside of unreal by default. It´s called Node Graph Assistant.

Comment

>I agree, but it shouldn't make dragging nodes harder either.. For me dragging nodes has priority.

This is what I was fighting with the last time I messed with these widgets

>That said, a node would always be grabbable from its title bar.

The compact nodes (e.g. cast nodes, +, -, array functions) don't have titles.

I'll try and check out Node Graph Assistant soon! But it's generally much easier for us to get a small change in than a big change or many changes as the graph editor code is widely used.
          Last edited by Dan.OConnor; 03-12-2019, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Yeah that plugin has some useful things worth looking at. I thought I saw another post here about it. The snapping I leave on all the time, and I usually have the auto-insert feature turned on (where you drag a node across wires and it "inserts" the node into execution chain). If I had to pick two features to include soon I'd pick those.

Comment

I wonder if anyone has ever experimented with a way to toggle between "modes".
              Meaning if there was a "move nodes around mode" that is more for organization, and then a "connect pins mode" that is for wiring things up.
              Toggling between them could be a simple hotkey (or UI button).
              Curious if that would slow people down, or eliminate some headaches.

Comment

Node Graph Assistant became essential for me. The snapping alone makes working with blueprints a lot easier on my poor wrist.

Comment

I'd love to hear thoughts about toggling between editing modes/states in blueprint. Quickly switching from wire connecting to node movement with the press of a hotkey.

Comment

When I find a moment to stop working on my game project I'm going to give it a go to try and do this.

Comment

Working...
                    X