• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROGRAMMING] Is this a bug?

Is this a bug...
    Attached Files

Yes it is.
    Nodes have default value and and array of connected "pins".

Sometime ago, somebody changed the spawn actor K2Node to grab the class value from the default value you assign, but forgot to first check if there's any value within the array of connected pins (if any).

Older versions of that K2Node don't have that problem. Now they split it into base, inter and then the actual K2Node class and something between those classes is broken.
    | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
      Yes it is.
      Nodes have default value and and array of connected "pins".

Sometime ago, somebody changed the spawn actor K2Node to grab the class value from the default value you assign, but forgot to first check if there's any value within the array of connected pins (if any).

Older versions of that K2Node don't have that problem. Now they split it into base, inter and then the actual K2Node class and something between those classes is broken.
      Any news from Epic as to when they will fix this?

Comment

They might fix it if someone report the bug
        I personally don't want to deal with github limbo anymore even though I knew this problem is there.

These days they may take months just to look at it, I'm not waiting, life is short.
        | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

They might fix it if someone report the bug
          I personally don't want to deal with github limbo anymore even though I knew this problem is there.

These days they may take months just to look at it, I'm not waiting, life is short.
          You mean to say that it could be that no one has reported this yet?! I thought this is the most obvious thing out there to find that could break entire projects! Anyway i'll try to submit a bug report meanwhile here's hoping someone form Epic would directly see this here and provide feedback.

Comment

This is not a bug and working as intended. I did some debugging as I thought this was a bug as well and it isn't, it's just confusing behavior.

If you have SpawnActor node without any input class variable (image 1) it works fine.
            If you then decide to right click on the pin and create a variable out of the class pin, it will create the base most class (I believe, I haven't looked into this specifically) for that variable. This is the part where it goes wrong and it is easy to misunderstand. Because it is creating the base class variable type and you are calling a derived class function, it will disconnect the node, which is the correct behavior. The way to resolve this issue, is to change the new variable class (which goes into the class input pin) from base `Actor` to `Derived Actor` (an example). You can notice this when you hover over the output pin which will then tell you what type of class it will return.

I hope that clarifies it for people. Cheers,

Comment

If his variable is still pointing to Bp_Projectile_C class then that doesn't make any sense to say it's "working as intended".

Comment

If his variable is still pointing to Bp_Projectile_C class then that doesn't make any sense to say it's "working as intended".
                Yes, but that is what the variable contains, the actual variable type that is declared in the detail view is `Actor` class. I'll look into the `Create local variable from pin` functionality this weekend and see if it is possible to improve that behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by project.gheist View Post

Yes, but that is what the variable contains, the actual variable type that is declared in the detail view is `Actor` class. I'll look into the `Create local variable from pin` functionality this weekend and see if it is possible to improve that behavior.
                  Ok I confirm this is true and works like you explained only it is confusing because you'd expect the class actor variable to be what is represented in the "spawn actor node" and not the derived actor class.

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                  X