Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Anh B. Nguyen View Post
    definitely need that, I do archviz and there is always tremedous amount of work when it comes to chamfered objects. The baked meshs usually show sights of lightmap error unless you shoot the lightmap resolution up to 512/1024 or unwrap manually. The hard edged objects for better unwrapping and soft hard edge material could lessen my work significantly.
    This is problem of your artist, not of the engine

Leave a comment:

• replied
    definitely need that, I do archviz and there is always tremedous amount of work when it comes to chamfered objects. The baked meshs usually show sights of lightmap error unless you shoot the lightmap resolution up to 512/1024 or unwrap manually. The hard edged objects for better unwrapping and soft hard edge material could lessen my work significantly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    An automatic bevel effect is an extremely uncommon thing to find in a game engine, maybe Epic will add it eventually since they have been adding a significant amount of features to support users outside of gaming but the lack of that kind of feature isn't surprising.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Go figure something else UE4 is behind on. They may be a giant but they sure are lacking in some areas. Especially for such a professional game engine. Being able to change colors of wires customize them so you can easily trace them for one, the uningine thing for 2 and half a dozen of other things you can tell they painted some of the wall with and then tried to cover it up a bit later for instance you have a slider to control the speed of your wasd keys and such when scrolling about your scene, but in other view ports you seem to have nothing til you google about and find out while holding right click you scroll up and down to change the speed of your mouse. It is as if 5 different teams are plastering this together with duck tape and super glue. I use modo so yeah I could bake down the rounded edges but to have that option available in UE4 would be much grander and far more customization there are some things that you are not sure how you want it to look until you get it in the engine rounded edges and even the bevel bit above is a good example. You could either A open it up, check it go that is c r a p, reopen it in your 3D modeling software edit it, bake it down again, and repeat til you get it right, or B have it in a a material instance where you either type a number in or make a slider if that was possible. I would choose B. Much like the appeal of Substance over Adobe albeit now Adobe bought them so it is going to be c r a p.

Edit seriously guys really **** sorry c.r.a.p. is something that offends you?
    Last edited by Mundi Umdali; 04-02-2019, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    there is a feature inside UNIGINE called ssBevel for doing same effect ( go to 2:30 ) :

Last edited by Siahpoosh; 03-06-2019, 08:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ZacD View Post
    Here's a research paper on a solution: http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc...r-Graphics.pdf

and a old thread from UE4 forums talking about it: https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...r-every-corner
    thank u , its very useful

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TheJamsh
    No you can't, this is exactly what Normal Maps are for. Changing normal maps in real-time isn't easily possible at the best of times. They have to be baked/generated from some kind of source data. Usually this is a higher-poly model, and why this kind of thing is done in a 3D modelling package.

You might be able to create a "round corner" shader for Unreal, but it wouldn't be very efficient.
    if u watch lumion videos about round corner shader , they did this in realtime in their engine , maybe its a post processing solution instead normal map , so its possible to do same thing in UE4 . maybe there is a trick for that , also there are few tricks in substance designer for doing this , i think epic can find a better solution for that
    Last edited by Siahpoosh; 10-23-2018, 05:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here's a research paper on a solution: http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc...r-Graphics.pdf

and a old thread from UE4 forums talking about it: https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...r-every-corner

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Raildex_ View Post
    These are so-called Beveled or Chamfered Edges. In 3Ds Max you can do this by Selecting an Edge and use "Chamfer".
    You can then bake the normals into the lowpoly without these edges.
    yes i know , but there is always problem in converting them to normal map , and it will take time to do this for every single models , if we have an option in ue4 material editor for that , we can edit amount of that directly in ue4 . in realtime

Leave a comment:

• replied
    These are so-called Beveled or Chamfered Edges. In 3Ds Max you can do this by Selecting an Edge and use "Chamfer".
    You can then bake the normals into the lowpoly without these edges.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Round Corner / Soft hard edges ?

Round Corner / Soft hard edges ?

There is a feature in Lumion called Soft edges , 3d render engines like vray,corona and ... called Round Corner . is this possible to have this feature in UE4 ? its very useful and will increase quality specially in reflected materials like metal , gold , silver and ... .
    i hope epic developers see this post. thanks

Last edited by Siahpoosh; 10-23-2018, 03:42 AM.
Working...
X