Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Reload has been virtually useless since 4.17 - still not scheduled for a fix?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16

    Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
    I think these complaints come from people without SSD and/or using slow CPUs causing a long wait for Editor to open.
    Or incorrectly set up projects that load 50000 assets on launch.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Zeblote View Post
      Or incorrectly set up projects that load 50000 assets on launch.
      My project has currently 75K assets, loading time is usually brief, but out of curiosity, how can you change the project assets loading related setup?
      [LEGENDS of EPICA][Twitter][FB][YT][Vimeo]

      Comment


        #18
        Always set as default a "Test" map with minimal hard references to assets, to boost Editor's startup
        | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

        Comment


          #19
          It's not viable if you are developing a huge world full of navmesh and other things. But thanks. They should remove hot reload if it's so broken. I will check back this engine wants it's more usable.

          Comment


            #20
            Well, in case of open worlds, one thing to use now is World Composition which doesn't load all sublevels used by the opened level in editor.

            Fortunately Epic is finally investing in open-world tools. Soon we should have a mechanism for working on the map without sublevels (one world and every asset instance saved separately to the hard drive).
            I truly hope they also gonna upgrade the navmesh system. Not much changed in recent years and navmesh can easily grow to gigabytes (if counting for the entire world).

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post
              Well, in case of open worlds, one thing to use now is World Composition which doesn't load all sublevels used by the opened level in editor.

              Fortunately Epic is finally investing in open-world tools. Soon we should have a mechanism for working on the map without sublevels (one world and every asset instance saved separately to the hard drive).
              I truly hope they also gonna upgrade the navmesh system. Not much changed in recent years and navmesh can easily grow to gigabytes (if counting for the entire world).
              I love Unreal Engine without the bugs and for me who is new at using the engine, I don't know when I do something wrong as oppose to the engine bugging out which makes it really hard for me to learn the tool. Now I am just stopped hot-reload and use the visual studio debug to start the engine. It increased my loading times but atleast i don't have bugs. I am scared to use Live++ as I don't understand if it's going to do hot-reload if my header files changes or how it will work in debug mode from Visual Studio and when Live++ gets triggered.

              Comment


                #22
                Llive++ won't trigger hot reload. It will eventually fail to build or patch running app

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post
                  Llive++ won't trigger hot reload. It will eventually fail to build or patch running app
                  How do you add C++ classes whilst live++ is on? It says I must quit the editor, build the editor and restart. But after I restart, it doesn't show the C++ class I made and a bunch of header files error like missing _Generated.h file and so on.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Seems like I have to Refresh Visual Studio Project every time I add a class whilst live coding is on.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by TheAwesomeGem View Post
                      Seems like I have to Refresh Visual Studio Project every time I add a class whilst live coding is on.
                      It's not related to Live Coding. If you're adding class manually via file explorer or downloading added/removed classes from the repo, you have to regenerate project files.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post

                        It's not related to Live Coding. If you're adding class manually via file explorer or downloading added/removed classes from the repo, you have to regenerate project files.
                        So you are not suppose to add classes view Unreal Editor?

                        Comment


                          #27
                          No idea. I never needed to view classes in the editor.
                          In the beginning, I was creating C++ classes through the editor, but it was annoying. Actor class template is full of comments you only need the first time. Hate them.
                          Plus often I don't BeginPlay() and EndPlay(), this template isn't very useful... It should be used by some tutorial, not the regular class wizard.*
                          And I never could understand why during class creation .uproject file ended up automatically modified - creator adds some garbage "additional modules" entry, which I'd always delete...

                          Tried VS class creator, never liked it with C++ and game development.

                          Usually I'm simply copy-pasting the existing class to create a new one. That satisfies my laziness. Often, I add a class of common type: inheriting after game's character class, item class. Or one of few classes typical to our game's system or tool. I prefer quickly cutting a few hundreds line of code than cleaning up this dumb class template or adding a lot of typical "unreal C++" code from scratch.

                          * UE4 has the same issue with blueprints. Automatically adding Tick event to every new blueprint - so everybody is abusing Tick in blueprints, they don't know they could use Timer instead...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X