No announcement yet.

Fix UE's alpha handling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I wondered about that earlier. When mipmapping it should seek out the nearest valid pixel with any amount of opacity above zero and sample that. In fact, it could just average out the other three pixels being considered during reduction, or however many are valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Antidamage View Post
      Guys, let's get over it. It's broken, it will be fixed, and knowledge of issue in the userbase will cause it to be fixed quicker. Apologists need not apply.
      I get that, but I'm saying posting this here won't get Epic's attention - make an actual bug report if you haven't already to get Epic eyes on it.

Comment

There was value in talking about it. There's just no use in finding a work-around when what we want is a comprehensive feature request to put to Epic.

Comment

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I wondered about that earlier. When mipmapping it should seek out the nearest valid pixel with any amount of opacity above zero and sample that. In fact, it could just average out the other three pixels being considered during reduction, or however many are valid.
          Bilinear filtering or mipmapping cannot assume that alpha is treated as opacity and zero alpha pixels would be invalid. In our game we store albedo to rgb and roughness to alpha. You could code custom mipmapping filter that would do that but bilinear filtering is done by gpu hardware and cannot be modified.

Comment

Yeah after thinking about it for a few days doing it during mipmap generation would be a strange place to fix it.

I've lost the issue tracker link but it turns out Epic became aware of it in April finally and are going to do exactly what we're discussing, I can only assume that they'll handle bleed as an import step or something. Obviously it'd be an option in the texture.

Are mipmaps really generated on the GPU? That doesn't seem right but I've never gone beyond a high level with it.

Comment

Yeah after thinking about it for a few days doing it during mipmap generation would be a strange place to fix it.

I've lost the issue tracker link but it turns out Epic became aware of it in April finally and are going to do exactly what we're discussing, I can only assume that they'll handle bleed as an import step or something. Obviously it'd be an option in the texture.

Are mipmaps really generated on the GPU? That doesn't seem right but I've never gone beyond a high level with it.
              Mipmaps are generated on CPU. But bilinear filtering happen when you sample texture at rendering time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalle_H View Post

Mipmaps are generated on CPU. But bilinear filtering happen when you sample texture at rendering time.
                That's what I thought. We're talking about modifying tesxture output to exclude zero alpha pixels when being generated. This wouldn't be forced on you or a default setting.

Comment

are you doing texture padding? http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Edge_padding it is practically a required procedure for whatever texture you do for game engines.
                  BoteRock
                  On3D Studios
                  Quantum Replica: http://store.steampowered.com/app/47...antum_Replica/

Comment

I'm not doing anything - the artist shouldn't need to know about that, not to mention that it's a fairly length and destructive process to put the original file through. It's such a simple thing to fix programatically.

Once this is in you'll look at anyone saying it needs to be a manual process like they're crazy.

Comment

I know I read this thread a bit late but there is an easy solution for everyone.
                      If you use PNG don't use built in Photoshop version. PS always fill the empty(alpha) info with white and it's wrong method.

This is a free plugin for Photoshop:
                      https://www.fnordware.com/superpng/

When you install than you will found second PNG export version in the save list. (SuperPNG (upper PNG))
                      SuperPNG option window:
                      - select Clean Transparent (you need to check this at each export - some PS don't save the setup!)
                      - save file

If you don't use PNG than you need bleed out the color data (RGB) into the transparent region to avoid unwanted pixel noise at the alpha edge.
                      There is a free Photoshop plugin from NVidia:
                      https://xnormal.net/
                      When you install than you will found under Filter/xNormal
                      - select color info (layer)
                      - Use Dilatation from the xNormal option list
                      - Radius (in pixels) - how many pixel to bleed out into the alpha region
                      - save file

Welcome

Comment

Working...
                      X