[Fix Incoming] Seriously damaging change to Online Subsystems in 4.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I bet this is coming from someone not tracking state of the pre-built (Launcher) engines... With head too deep into GitHub ecosystem.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Adding a fourth voice to the issue, it's a gigantic problem for us.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also interested in this

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'll also raise a pitchfork here.It's been frustrating that the current version of of Unreal doesn't match the most recent version of steamworks, but this is unwise.

Leave a comment:

• [Fix Incoming] Seriously damaging change to Online Subsystems in 4.20

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ml?sort=oldest

You now cannot create your own Online Subsystems as plugins, as you have to modify the engine to support a custom OSS. This seems like an enormous step backwards and a huge oversight. I can't really understand why this was necessary? IMO the engine should be opening up to supporting more modular features.

There have been several major changes to OSS' in 4.20 which initially led to many projects (particularly Steam) not working online at all until the 4.20.1 hotfix. Not to be a pitchfork-wielder, but this feels a little bit like features are being shoehorned in from Fortnite and we're suffering as a result.

Please maintain modularity - it's one of the engines strengths and frankly needs more focus.
Working...
X