Official C# Support?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official C# Support?

Can we please get some C# support in a upcoming UE4 update?

Do you understand how far reaching and big of a thing you're asking for? I'd rather have the devs spend their time working on something more productive.

Comment

ErnestoEFL

Bad idea! Epic should just keep expanding Blueprints instead. Why?
      Don't take my word for it, this billionaire knows a thing or two though...

Comment

Would be welcome *

* Once ALL base C++ bugs are fixed
        | Finite State Machine | Auto-Save Plugin | USQLite Plugin | Object-Pool Plugin | Sound-Occlusion Plugin | Anti-Cheat Plugin | Property Transfer Tool |

Comment

Woaw well I didn't think it was a complex thing I poorly worded it but I ment any future engine release but based of good ol Tims post from the linked page... it don't look like its coming if or at all.

Which is a bummer.. but this is the engine I ended up learning and mastering over Unity and CryEngine

Darn I guess this wont be happening.
          Last edited by ErnestoEFL; 07-28-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonimake View Post
            Do you understand how far reaching and big of a thing you're asking for? I'd rather have the devs spend their time working on something more productive.
            No to be honest I didn't but based of what im seeing its not going to happen but eh that's fine.

Comment

Epic have tons of programmers and pretty much none of them use C#;
              So a game made by Epic with CSharp isn't happening, can't ask them to support it in this case.
              | Finite State Machine | Auto-Save Plugin | USQLite Plugin | Object-Pool Plugin | Sound-Occlusion Plugin | Anti-Cheat Plugin | Property Transfer Tool |

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
                ErnestoEFL

Bad idea! Epic should just keep expanding Blueprints instead. Why?
                Don't take my word for it, this billionaire knows a thing or two though...
                Interesting... I'd never seen that post from Tim before.

Anyways, yeah I've got to agree that this is probably never going to happen. As someone whose been on and off with this engine since 2014 because of the C#/C++ difference in Unity and Unreal I can tell you that C++ is way less of an issue than you may think. I only just started committing to learning UE4 C++ recently (with the help of this awesome Udemy course and a C++ college class I took). Once you wrap your head around some of the weird quirks of the engine I think C++ in UE4 is almost like working in a higher level language like C# (UE4 C++ is garbage collected for example).

Comment

I hope they don't. It has enough problems with just supporting c++.
                  "It just works"

Comment

Originally posted by TacoShank View Post

Interesting... I'd never seen that post from Tim before.

Anyways, yeah I've got to agree that this is probably never going to happen. As someone whose been on and off with this engine since 2014 because of the C#/C++ difference in Unity and Unreal I can tell you that C++ is way less of an issue than you may think. I only just started committing to learning UE4 C++ recently (with the help of this awesome Udemy course and a C++ college class I took). Once you wrap your head around some of the weird quirks of the engine I think C++ in UE4 is almost like working in a higher level language like C# (UE4 C++ is garbage collected for example).
                    Im with you on that with the whole leaving UE4 and going to work on a Engine with C# I never gave up on it entirely just I would go back and forth with Unity and CryEngine but its just too late for a switch im very comfy with UE4 I just wish it had some C# support which is why Unity and CryEngine were so appealing.

Its a fine engine really I couldn't keep either Unity or CryEngine because this engine just feels right despite the lack of C#.

Comment

Really hope epic and Tim Sweeney can change their mind for users from Unity3D!

Comment

Originally posted by sunflower View Post
                        Same, i also have some Unity knowhow and thats also a reason why Unity3D was a bit more appealing, but when UE4 became free
                        i got into it and was hooked but not happy it lacked C#.

Comment

Originally posted by sunflower View Post
                          Lul. what about the other way round. Like what about Unreal Users coming to Unity? I DEMAND C++ IN UNITY.
                          See how stupid it is to demand something like this?

Comment

Unity is built on C++, you can use C++ there just fine, it's just not supported/documented/wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
                              Unity is built on C++, you can use C++ there just fine, it's just not supported/documented/wanted.
                              The only way to use C++ in Unity is by creating native plugins and therefore inconvenient (you need to use the plugin system in C# to communicate with your plugin library, you have to build your library for all the target platforms by yourself, etc.)

Having said that I know for sure that Amplitude Studio made the Endless franchise almost entirely in C++ using that feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X