Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant use UE or mobile development because of poor performane.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cant use UE or mobile development because of poor performane.

    I installed UE today. I was amazed at how bad the performance is on the macbook pro. If I compile out a app binary the game runs fine, it's the editors performance itself that is really bad. As I am a mobile game developer testing on IOS and android are both high priority. Therefore mac is a must, windows wont cut it.

    A quick google shows I'm not the only person with this issue.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foxTo0vDOTc

    Does Epic intend to fix these performance issues? I dont see anything about it in the roadmap post above.

    #2
    It may be because of your hardware specs, few Macs are all that capable of running graphics intensive software like UE4.
    By the way, you can test for iOS on Windows PC, the only issue is that you can't upload a completed app to the App store because that requires Xcode which is only available on Mac.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      It may be because of your hardware specs, few Macs are all that capable of running graphics intensive software like UE4.
      No it's not true at all. It's a software issue. If I install windows on the same laptop it runs fine. Check out the youtube video I linked it shows how UE is refreshing the whole UI all the time very inefficient.

      Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      By the way, you can test for iOS on Windows PC, the only issue is that you can't upload a completed app to the App store because that requires Xcode which is only available on Mac.
      I think you are incorrect on this point as well. You can test the game on a computer sure. But you cant load it on a real device for testing without Xcode. The game will perform very different on a real phone compared to a computer.

      Now that we have that out of the way. Back to my original question. Does Epic have plans to work on the UE Editor performance on Mac?
      Last edited by spacecowboy121; 06-25-2018, 01:26 AM.

      Comment


        #4
        While UE4 is more resource intensive than it probably should be, many Macs lack much capability with 3D graphics, most of them use Intel GPU's and those are well below the minimum requirements for UE4.
        And yes, you can send your game to your testing device on PC without a Mac, again, you only need to use Xcode for uploading to the App store.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
          While UE4 is more resource intensive than it probably should be, many Macs lack much capability with 3D graphics, most of them use Intel GPU's and those are well below the minimum requirements for UE4.
          Again same machine running windows runs the UE Editor without issue it's not a hardware problem.

          Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
          And yes, you can send your game to your testing device on PC without a Mac, again, you only need to use Xcode for uploading to the App store.
          No one who is serious about mobile development wants to test on the computer. Testing on a real IOS device is very important. Also no one wants to reboot every time they want to test.

          Again my question is: does Epic have any future plans to fix the poor optimization on OSX. Not asking anything about what you are saying.

          Comment


            #6
            Again, you can use a Windows PC to send your app to your testing device for testing without a Mac, I'm not talking about running the app on the PC.

            If your system is running on an Intel GPU then that's the primary issue, there's only so much that can be done there and they're not going to try and get the editor to work well on that kind of hardware.

            Comment

            Working...
            X