• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kurylo3d View Post
    Well ****..
    Hopefully we have something in 4.20 anything would be awesome

Comment

wut.

didn't they say in the GDC talks that they expected to start unrolling these features in 4.20?
      Follow me on Twitter!
      Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
      Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

4.20 will have dynamic unshadowed and baked shadowed area lights. Sadly even for the release at the end of the year the only confirmed features are AO and shadows. No word on GI at GDC other than it was too expensive. As I've said before, it's such a pity since a fast GPU lightmap baker would boost productivity enormously as seen in the examples from Unity and Frostbite. One can only hope that they're working on something internally.
        Last edited by The_Distiller; 05-25-2018, 02:19 PM.
        ArtStation

Comment

Also Cinematic depth of field.
          Not sure if Volume Texture Asset support is related to this demo.

Releasing RTX support now wouldn't be that useful anyway. DX12 ray tracing is tagged as "experimental" and using current Volta hardware would be very expensive. GDC was great to present incoming technology, but it isn't here yet.
          Most likely will get DX12 update and new video cards before Christmas.
          Last edited by Doctor Ergot; 05-25-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

There is always this that you can use in meantime. https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...s-gpulightmass

Comment

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
              4.20 will have dynamic unshadowed and baked shadowed area lights. Sadly even for the release at the end of the year the only confirmed features are AO and shadows. No word on GI at GDC other than it was too expensive. As I've said before, it's such a pity since a fast GPU lightmap baker would boost productivity enormously as seen in the examples from Unity and Frostbite. One can only hope that they're working on something internally.
              all they are working on Internally is fortnite

Comment

Originally posted by Kalle_H View Post
                There is always this that you can use in meantime. https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...s-gpulightmass
                This does little to improve my work flow... a gtx 980, 980m, and gtx 780 render at 6.5 hours on one of my levels on highest quality.... On original renderer it took about 7 or 8 hours on production quality with 4ghz i7 and 2 2.6 ghz i7s .... (possible i upped the settings for volumetric lightmaps)

Either way both are over night processes plus this gpu renderer doesnt support lods or HLODS... it casts shadows on geometry that is larger (a proxy lod for example..)

Last edited by kurylo3d; 05-26-2018, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Hi all!

Apparently Epic will share some info at SIGGRAPH 2018:

"Join Juan Canada and François Antoine in exploring the latest exciting ray tracing advancements in Unreal Engine. We’ll break down the roadmap of our new path-tracer and progressive lightmapper, then reveal our latest real-time ray-traced showcase"

Comment

Well, RTX does not do GI of any sorts. It's used for raytracing area light shadows, reflections and AO. So there is hardly any use for it regarding baking lightmaps. GPU Lightmass is the fastest way of baking lightmaps at the moment but there is only 4.19.2 version, no updates for 4.20 yet.
                    Last edited by AntonBoiko; 08-02-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Nvidia already showed a preview of the progressive lightmapper in UE4 earlier this year:

https://youtu.be/tjf-1BxpR9c?t=7m7s
                      Last edited by The_Distiller; 08-02-2018, 02:28 PM.
                      ArtStation

Comment

Originally posted by AntonBoiko View Post
                        Well, RTX does not do GI of any sorts. It's used for raytracing area light shadows, reflections and AO. So there is hardly any use for it regarding baking lightmaps. GPU Lightmass is the fastest way of baking lightmaps at the moment but there is only 4.19.2 version, no updates for 4.20 yet.
                        What the hell are you talkn about lol... have u not seen the videos of teh real tlime lightmap baking? Not hours but seconds...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
                          Nvidia already showed a preview of the progressive lightmapper in UE4 earlier this year:

https://youtu.be/tjf-1BxpR9c?t=7m7s
                          Missed this one somehow, thanks man. Lol indeed. Looks nice, hopefully it will be integrated into the engine by Epics, not as a separate branch on the Github maintained by enthusiasts. Now, I have to go check the VXGI2 is building properly...
                          Last edited by AntonBoiko; 08-02-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonBoiko View Post
                            RTX is just generic easy to use ray tracing api that can be used with normal rendering pipeline. You can do anything with it. DICE did have demo where they used RTX to drive AI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalle_H View Post

RTX is just generic easy to use ray tracing api that can be used with normal rendering pipeline. You can do anything with it. DICE did have demo where they used RTX to drive AI agents.
                              Exactly, that and it's really low level, so it's lightning fast.

Comment

Give us rtx in unreal already!!! :d

Comment

Working...
                                X