Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sooo, VXGI 2.0 is coming very soon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Sooo, VXGI 2.0 is coming very soon

    As many of you must know, VXGI 2.0 is coming soon and will double the performance.

    https://overclock3d.net/news/softwar..._and_quality/1

    Would you consider integrating it inside the engine by default if it performs well enough on current hardware? VXGI 1.0 was way too ressource intensive to be used in a game but 2.0 looks way more performance friendly. I think it's about time UE4 finally gets a real dynamic GI solution, XVGI 2.0 might just be our salvation.

    #2
    Awesome! VXGI 2.0 looks promising and I hope it performs good enough to use it in our current project.
    Last edited by DennG; 04-25-2018, 09:01 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      Probabaly not.

      But worry not. We will get RTX integration which is unuseable in games.
      https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

      Comment


        #4
        It won't be integrated by default, it makes some pretty extensive modifications to the engine and rendering plumbing and suchlike. If Epic were to implement NVidia's tech into the default engine, users would expect them to support it like a first class feature - which obviously they aren't going to do. It's NVidia's tech.

        Fortunately for us however, there is a branch of the engine on NVidia's GitHub that contains VXGI (has been there for several iterations now). If you watch the presentation, they state that they will be providing the VXGI 2.0 branch at some point in the future.
        https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-gameworks-and-ue4
        Last edited by TheJamsh; 04-25-2018, 09:16 AM.

        Comment


          #5
          They said integration with UE4 mid April, but April is ending and there's nothing on github yet or did I miss something.
          Artstation
          Join the support channel
          Gumroad Store

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
            It won't be integrated by default, it makes some pretty extensive modifications to the engine and rendering plumbing and suchlike. If Epic were to implement NVidia's tech into the default engine, users would expect them to support it like a first class feature - which obviously they aren't going to do. It's NVidia's tech.

            Fortunately for us however, there is a branch of the engine on NVidia's GitHub that contains VXGI (has been there for several iterations now). If you watch the presentation, they state that they will be providing the VXGI 2.0 branch at some point in the future.
            https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-gameworks-and-ue4



            Didn't they integrate some of Nvidia's tech in Unreal already? Like the volumetric lighting and APEX? Maybe VXGI is a different beast, I dunno. I'm fine with a branch though.


            Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
            They said integration with UE4 mid April, but April is ending and there's nothing on github yet or did I miss something.
            Most articles are from 2-3 days ago, I think Nvidia are making sure that 2.0 is ready to ship (bug fixing, performance, etc..). It should not take long.

            Comment


              #7
              Im so excited!!!!!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by SilentAndAsleep View Post
                Didn't they integrate some of Nvidia's tech in Unreal already? Like the volumetric lighting and APEX? Maybe VXGI is a different beast, I dunno. I'm fine with a branch though.
                Volumetric Lighting is their own internal technique I believe, and I think Apex is just a relic of UDK really. We do have our own cloth painter stuff now! I would say Apex / VXGI are very different beasts though - and Apex has no overhead if you're not using it, whereas VXGI does I believe.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I cannot understand why dynamic GI is so low priority for Epic. We and many others would love to build enviroments with good dynamic lighting. Even something precomputed like Enlighten would help many devs.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by DennG View Post
                    I cannot understand why dynamic GI is so low priority for Epic. We and many others would love to build enviroments with good dynamic lighting. Even something precomputed like Enlighten would help many devs.
                    Their main priority for now is Fortnite. And they want good scalability for it - PC, consoles, mobile devices. I doubt if it's possible with any kind of voxel based lighting

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Would be nice if we get both. VXGI 2.0 for games, RTX for high end visualisations / movies where you can afford an nvidia DGX, won't be performant in consumer hardware for two generations probably.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Yura_s View Post

                        Their main priority for now is Fortnite. And they want good scalability for it - PC, consoles, mobile devices. I doubt if it's possible with any kind of voxel based lighting
                        Yeap. And they confirmed they RTX (realtime raytracing) support will be added into main this year.

                        You know. It doesn't add up. RTX is fancy but useless for games, for next 5 years minimum (and realistically 10).

                        VXGI is as it is, but it is useable now. With more optimizations it can be pushed even onto lower end hardware (namely Voxelization pass, should not happen every frame).
                        https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          To be fair, RTX is currently more tailored towards the film industry which they're also concentrating on.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            My guess is that they don't think it's possible on the platforms they want to support--meaning Xbox One, Switch, and lower-end PC's
                            Maybe next gen it will get a focus

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                              My guess is that they don't think it's possible on the platforms they want to support--meaning Xbox One, Switch, and lower-end PC's
                              Maybe next gen it will get a focus
                              But why don't they come up with their own dynamic GI solution? SVOGI in CEV looks amazing and runs great, even with dense forest environements (it actually runs better than UE4 when it comes to outdoors). I can't see why they can't come up with something. Hell even Unity has some dynamic GI. Hellblade also uses an external GI solution and it runs very well on PS4.

                              http://www.digitalmediaworld.tv/game...en-world-games
                              Last edited by SilentAndAsleep; 04-26-2018, 12:11 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X