Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Massively speed up light building and shader compiling!! adjust UE4 affinity to LOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massively speed up light building and shader compiling!! adjust UE4 affinity to LOW

are shaders, and light building taking you a long time? Since those are done as other tasks setting UE4 priority to low will give the light building and shader compiling priority over the UE4. It makes it go much much faster. at least on my i5 3570k. I would guess maybe on an i7 you won't get such a speedup. But on slower machines especially ones slower than mine, it can help a lot.
    Last edited by DarkHorror; 08-24-2014, 11:55 AM.

Thank you man!!!!!

Comment

And also after you set UE4 to low set an application called Shader Compile affinity to High

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorror View Post
        are shaders, and light building taking you a long time? Since those are done as other tasks setting UE4 priority to low will give the light building and shader compiling priority over the UE4. It makes it go much much faster. at least on my i5 3570k. I would guess maybe on an i7 you won't get such a speedup. But on slower machines especially ones slower than mine, it can help a lot.
        Thanks so much!!!!! I have been going crazy trying to make materials. Just changing the base color was taking up to a minute and everything else much longer. I found a lot of tips to change the priority of the shader workers but I never thought to change the priority of the UE4 itself down to Low. WORKS LIKE A DREAM. If I could I would invite you out for a beer or something. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Knowlts View Post
            Thanks so much!!!!! I have been going crazy trying to make materials. Just changing the base color was taking up to a minute and everything else much longer. I found a lot of tips to change the priority of the shader workers but I never thought to change the priority of the UE4 itself down to Low. WORKS LIKE A DREAM. If I could I would invite you out for a beer or something. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!
            On top of that you might want to look into material instances. They make exchanging maps, colors and other parameters a lot faster, without having to recompile the base shader.

Comment

Like Zbrush or other sofware like that , maybe UE4 need a multreading/stress/build Test and make some auto setting.

Comment

Originally posted by EchelonV View Post
                On top of that you might want to look into material instances. They make exchanging maps, colors and other parameters a lot faster, without having to recompile the base shader.
                Already was doing that, but thanks. The problem was making the material to then instance. The instanced material loads right away even without using the task manager to set priority. But like i said thanks for the tip anyways.

Comment

I just found this, could someone please explain actually how to do this? I know nothing about 'affinity' so a basic guide would be great. Thanks

Comment

I would also like to know
                    | QuinnVR | Portfolio | Twitter |

Comment

Task Manager - Details - right click the exe - set Priority
                      it's Priority btw, not Affinity (Affinity is only to associate it with CPUs/cores)

thanks for the tip btw, wasn't aware of it
                      Follow me on Twitter!
                      Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                      Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Ah sweet! Thanks!
                        | QuinnVR | Portfolio | Twitter |

Comment

Does this actually speed it up?

Comment

I'm not seeing any substantial changes in build time by setting: The engines priority to low or Swarm and Lightmass to High. I'll do a few more builds tonight and share the comparisons.
                            I7 6700 3.4ghz
                            32gb
                            PP3D.CA
                            Environment Artist
                            Available for work!

Comment

Wow that actually works, and pretty well! Thanks for the wicked trick! However it does feel slightly hacky - I like the suggestion from EchelonV in regards to Material instances on top of this. Would likely just set the priority to low for a temporary fix, and look at optimising the Materials via creating instances.
                              Last edited by DebellicA; 08-25-2018, 02:29 AM.

“A person’s life purpose is nothing more than to rediscover, through the detours of art, or love, or passionate work, those one or two images in the presence of which his heart first opened.” – Albert Camus, 1913-1960

Comment

Working...
                              X