Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hey folks,

I'm a little late to the party here but I just wanted to chime in to say that we are looking at this issue. Specifically the hitching in Deathreys's project. I confirm on my machine that it is indeed 'leaking like a colander' in 4.20. Based on initial investigation it has something to do with the switch to Manual Vertex Fetch style rendering and subsequent changes to canvas rendering (which the 'RenderMaterialToRenderTarget' function uses. I'll update you guys when we know more about how pervasive the underlying problem is. Thanks for the good data in this thread and your patience.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey all,
    I chatted with the team on this(60787) today and they are aiming for a fix in 4.20 - I am not confirming that it will go into 4.20, but that is the current target. As for 57557, it could not be reproduced internally, so if you have more to that please be sure to share!

Sorry for the delay, we've been on the road the past few weeks!

Thanks,

~Tim

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ZioYuri78 View Post
    Looks like 4.19.2 it's no longer hangs here with the new NVIDIA driver but you know never say never...
    I was wrong, very wrong, today a single blueprint with a HISM component with a bunch of instances (34) eated 50% of my ram

Spoiler

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Which is a direct link to Deathreys summary post in here, which I linked in the 4.20 preview thread, so I assume thats where they saw it and entered the issue: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...39#post1491039
    Oh you're right. Ok now it makes sense why they removed the link, good catch
    Last edited by DotCam; 06-19-2018, 09:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

None of those is marked as Fix 4.20 unfortunately.

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
    Hey guys, just noticed a new issue added to the tracker, vote this one up!! It's the most relevant bug report to this thread, and this thread might have been linked to the bug report.

UE-60787 - Performance drop when calling draw to render target
    Nice! And there actually is a link to this thread on there:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ForumLink.PNG Views:	2 Size:	26.6 KB ID:	1491442
    Which is a direct link to Deathreys summary post in here, which I linked in the 4.20 preview thread, so I assume thats where they saw it and entered the issue: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...39#post1491039
    Last edited by John Alcatraz; 06-19-2018, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey guys, just noticed a new issue added to the tracker, vote this one up!! It's the most relevant bug report to this thread, and this thread was linked to the bug report.

UE-60787 - Performance drop when calling draw to render target
    Last edited by DotCam; 06-19-2018, 09:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I noticed that this https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...e-4-20-preview seem to indicate that the following bug reports are scheduled for 4.20. If that's true, then it's good news:
    UMaterialBillboardComponent Memory Leak and Hitching (Unreal 4.19.2 + 4.19.1) https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-58673

Extreme hitching when using profile command (stat startfile) + other stat commands https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-57976

Particle Mesh Emitters Cause Heavy FPS Stutter https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-58676

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just gonna join the club of frustrated devs. I recently (2 weeks ago) upgraded to 4.19.2, and since then been working hard on features, only to gradually realize how screwed 4.19.2 really is. I've read through most of this thread, and my issue does actually maybe differ a bit from what the majority see, but nevertheless may well be related. I often see some errors as i describe in my answerhub question here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...texture2d.html. As you can see from that post, i tested all on a packaged game, in VR which used to run flawlessly on 4.18.3. Im on an i7-4970, gtx1080ti,32gigabyte ram and plenty of hd. Latest drivers and tested with both Vive and Oculus. Same results. My game now and then comes to an almost halt with 1-2 secs of constant stutters, where i keep seeing these: Warning: Hitch on async loading of Texture2D lines in my log. When i run with stat startfile to profile the cause, it gets really bad, and almost nonstop hitches.

I wonder how many are affected by these hitch bugs? And if Epic Games are really aware of this? As i can see from some related bug-issues.
    https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-57976
    and https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-58673
    it seems they're either not resolved or set to be handled in 4.21... Does 4.21 even have a projected date?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's nice to see everyone in the community working together to solve these types of problems, and I honestly expect at least one engineer to have responded with some acknowledgement of the issue.
    Last edited by AHLabrodex; 06-20-2018, 12:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Not sure if you're aware, but this post still has the [EDITOR] tag.
    Just removed it, none of the prefixes really fit this thread. Thank you once again John!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DotCam View Post

Thanks, that's a good point. I have renamed the thread as: "4.19 & 4.20 Editor & Packaged Games Have Hangs/Hiccups Constantly"
    Not sure if you're aware, but this post still has the [EDITOR] tag.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi all,

I am experiencing exactly the same issues as the ones described in this thread using 4.19.2. The hitches worsen over the length of time the editor is left open. I'm going to try to rollback to 4.18 for now because 4.19.2 is unusable in both the sense of not being able to work inside the editor due to the hitches and the sense that building using this version would mean users would also experience these issues in game.

I am using Nvidia GTX 1060 with latest drivers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Deathrey

Maybe Epic is ignoring this issue because this threads title makes it (incorrectly) sound as if this would only be an issue with the editor, while it does actually appear same in packaged builds, which is obviously way worse since it means every player of a game is affected by it. I'd say you should create a new thread with a correct title and put that post you just did into there. Maybe that will finally make them pay some attention.
    Thanks, that's a good point. I have renamed the thread as: "4.19 & 4.20 Editor & Packaged Games Have Hangs/Hiccups Constantly"

Originally posted by Motus Digital View Post
    Agreed. My original spawn of this thread and example video etc. were my limited specific problem/symptoms, not the educated bigger picture causes and root of the issues everyone is having. A new thread with accurate title and current research provided is warranted.
    That would fragment the discussion making it more difficult to get a proper response which from my experience as a mod it is highly beneficial for both us and them to keep the discussion in one place. We have somewhat hijacked this thread, apologies for that, but I think the discussions that have taken place in this thread could help Epic figure out the cause since people have been trying to troubleshoot along the way, which has been great, thank you guys!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Deathrey

Maybe Epic is ignoring this issue because this threads title makes it (incorrectly) sound as if this would only be an issue with the editor, while it does actually appear same in packaged builds, which is obviously way worse since it means every player of a game is affected by it. I'd say you should create a new thread with a correct title and put that post you just did into there. Maybe that will finally make them pay some attention.
    You have a point. I actually used to have a thread about it with bug/regression tag, until I was pointed here.

On the other hand, if thread editor tag is sufficient enough to justify simply skipping a thread in feedback forum, that had been afloat for two months, linked to in a bug report, and mentioned while tagging community manager and project coordinator... nah. That would be just disrespectful not to skim through 10 pages.

Either the number of reports is too low, or the issue was looked into and the cause was not identified, or there is simply broken telephone all along.

I'm not developing any project of my own, just a contractor. Not affected by the issue directly, just one of those, advising on feasibility and risks of upgrading the project and doing a courtesy of bringing attention to issue, severity and scale of which was greatly underestimated. And I am stoned with the fact that nothing appears to be done to investigate it.

Bug reporting system depicting a bouncer instead of investigator will inevitably spirals towards reduction in number and quality of reports.
    Last edited by Deathrey; 06-15-2018, 07:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Deathrey

Agreed. My original spawn of this thread and example video etc. were my limited specific problem/symptoms, not the educated bigger picture causes and root of the issues everyone is having. A new thread with accurate title and current research provided is warranted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X