Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.19 & 4.20 Editor & Packaged Games Have Hangs/Hiccups Constantly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Talking about drivers, I ended up rolling back to a driver from last year (385.69) because one of the more recent drivers was causing roughly a 30 to 50% drop in fps across the board for me. It's almost as if Nvidia is intentionally trying to slow older gpus down more, to the point of frustrating you into buying a new one. Sort of like what Apple was doing with their phones...

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post
      Talking about drivers, I ended up rolling back to a driver from last year (385.69) because one of the more recent drivers was causing roughly a 30 to 50% drop in fps across the board for me. It's almost as if Nvidia is intentionally trying to slow older gpus down more, to the point of frustrating you into buying a new one. Sort of like what Apple was doing with their phones...
      Not only this, I have rolled back my driver version aswel because since December the new drivers are messing with Vulkan registry values and any application made for Vulkan is failing to find the Vulkan runtime. Several articles have being made telling about this and NVidia is just ignoring to provide a proper fix!
      Nilson Lima
      Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
      Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

      UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
      supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

        Not only this, I have rolled back my driver version aswel because since December the new drivers are messing with Vulkan registry values and any application made for Vulkan is failing to find the Vulkan runtime. Several articles have being made telling about this and NVidia is just ignoring to provide a proper fix!
        Have you tried manually adding keys? I know that I've had to do some regediting for nvidia optimus because some games will load with integrated card, no matter how hard you try to force it to load with the dedicated GPU. RequireSignedAppInit keys had to be added to allow them to run properly.

        I wonder if there is a fix like that for the Vulcan issues (I have never messed with Vulcan, so I don't know if it's possible or not).

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

          Have you tried manually adding keys? I know that I've had to do some regediting for nvidia optimus because some games will load with integrated card, no matter how hard you try to force it to load with the dedicated GPU. RequireSignedAppInit keys had to be added to allow them to run properly.

          I wonder if there is a fix like that for the Vulcan issues (I have never messed with Vulcan, so I don't know if it's possible or not).
          The problem is that doing manual stuff in a development environment put at risk you deploying something which might encounter an user's machine without it. It should not be the application/game the responsible for fixing this, but I will try to dig if there is a proper way to fix the registry key to point to the correctly path (some more complaints at NVidia's forum too I guess).
          Nilson Lima
          Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
          Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

          UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
          supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

          Comment


            #65
            Cross-positing from my thread. Exactly the same symptoms. Completely unrelated to mesh particles or particles. 1060.
            Issue is a regression. Tested it in 4.15, works flawlessly.

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by Deathrey View Post
              Cross-positing from my thread. Exactly the same symptoms. Completely unrelated to mesh particles or particles. 1060.
              Issue is a regression. Tested it in 4.15, works flawlessly.
              I agree that it points to that, we realized the issue was not related to particles, because an empty level seems ok, unless we use stat command the issue starts to appear badly over time. A question thou: how can the issue disappear when rolling back driver version? I did as suggested at previous posts and the issue disappeared, at least looks like its gone. If its a memory leak related issue (it shouldn't have garbage collection at this point, since we talking about rendering thread) it must be at the render module or at the driver.

              Did you open a bug report on this? We should add your findings with the #issue number we got.
              Nilson Lima
              Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
              Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

              UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
              supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

              Comment


                #67
                Hey everyone,
                I'll call some attention to this but, but please make sure you've submitted bugs through the bug submission form.

                Thanks!

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

                  I agree that it points to that, we realized the issue was not related to particles, because an empty level seems ok, unless we use stat command the issue starts to appear badly over time. A question thou: how can the issue disappear when rolling back driver version? I did as suggested at previous posts and the issue disappeared, at least looks like its gone. If its a memory leak related issue (it shouldn't have garbage collection at this point, since we talking about rendering thread) it must be at the render module or at the driver.

                  Did you open a bug report on this? We should add your findings with the #issue number we got.
                  Yes, I've sent a ticket.
                  I can't say anything conclusive about the driver. I did not experience the issue anywhere else, including previous UE4 versions. I'm on 390.65
                  I've checked other 4.19 projects, I have access to. There is always something that triggers the stuttering, including stat command.
                  But with draws to render target blueprint it escalates exceptionally quickly.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by Kalvothe View Post
                    Hey everyone,
                    I'll call some attention to this but, but please make sure you've submitted bugs through the bug submission form.

                    Thanks!
                    This appears to be a critical, engine-wide regression in 4.19, affecting all projects on certain machines, including packaged products, not just specific parts of it.
                    https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-58676
                    Is filed incorrectly. It is not related to particles directly.

                    The hitching will be present in all projects, but certain features will make it onset and deteriorate much faster.

                    So might as well receive a bit more than some attention.

                    Reproduction steps:
                    • 1) Download test project as provided.
                    • 2) Open with engine version 4.18.1
                    • 3) Open the Content/BugMap.umap
                    • 4) Play in standalone
                    • 5) Enable stat unitgraph
                    • 6) Measure
                    • 7) Wait 15 minutes
                    • 8) Measure
                    • 9) Open test project with engine version 4.19.0
                    • 10) Open the Content/BugMap.umap
                    • 11) Play in standalone
                    • 12) Enable stat unitgraph
                    • 13) Measure
                    • 14) Wait 15 minutes
                    • 15) Measure
                    • 16) Behold!
                    Test Project drive download.

                    Stat unitgraph 4.18, after 15 minutes:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	StatUnitGraph418.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.3 KB ID:	1476113:


                    Stat unitgraph 4.19 after 15 minutes:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	StatUnitGraph419.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	1476114

                    RhiCmd 4.18
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	StatRHIcmd418.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.8 KB ID:	1476115




                    RhiCmd 4.19
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	StatRHIcmd419.jpg Views:	1 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	1476116


                    Kalvothe Might want to point, whoever will be looking at it, here:
                    What is wrong with CeateTileVerticesBuffersLegacyInit ? Why would it be called for drawing to render target anyway ? Not cool.

                    Comment


                      #70
                      This one of the main reasons 4.19 is a show stop for me, followed by issues with Vulkan, reflections, all reported, can't use it as it is. Definitely will wait for 4.20 and don't bother with all the trouble this version brought to the table, I can't really expend all of my time figuring out why something stopped working or not working as intended, instead of carying of my own project issues which for now are still based in 4.17 (I know games launching are based on very early versions - like Sea of Thieves is 4.10, but c'mon...)
                      Nilson Lima
                      Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                      Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

                      UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                      supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                        This one of the main reasons 4.19 is a show stop for me,
                        Would have been useful, if this particular bug was filtered out in testing stage, or at least a notification about its existence posted somewhere. It is a critical showstopper indeed, rendering 4.19 and onwards useless.

                        I don't have a clue though, why there are only a dozen of posts about it here. Not everyone is running editor/game long enough to notice ?

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Personally I haven't made the jump to 4.19 yet since I've seen nothing but horror stories - and I've been unable to make an installed build since launch. Quite a lot of the rendering plumbing was changed for Temporal Upsampling I believe - it's quite possible all that rummaging around has caused some problems.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                            Definitely will wait for 4.20 and don't bother with all the trouble this version brought to the table, I can't really expend all of my time figuring out why something stopped working or not working as intended, instead of carying of my own project issues which for now are still based in 4.17 (I know games launching are based on very early versions - like Sea of Thieves is 4.10, but c'mon...)
                            Originally posted by Deathrey View Post
                            I don't have a clue though, why there are only a dozen of posts about it here. Not everyone is running editor/game long enough to notice ?
                            Maybe Devs are skipping odd-numbered releases.... That's what I normally do, as its too much work otherwise (as Nilson alludes too).... 4.18 has been pretty stable too (for me anyway). Not saying its 4.10 all over again, but definitely seeing less random out-of-video-memory crashes, which is a relief.

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by franktech View Post



                              Maybe Devs are skipping odd-numbered releases.... That's what I normally do, as its too much work otherwise (as Nilson alludes too).... 4.18 has been pretty stable too (for me anyway). Not saying its 4.10 all over again, but definitely seeing less random out-of-video-memory crashes, which is a relief.
                              Might be a coincidence yeah, but 4.18, 4.16 were remarkably stable for me.

                              I would not even know about the issue, if not random chatter on discord, because frankly saying I did not bother giving 4.19 a proper test for I was not intending to use it, other than for several my personal pet projects.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                I was unable to repro the issue after extensive monitoring. Please provide additional information if you do believe this is a bug. Else I would I check your hardware to make sure it is suitable to provide the results you are looking for.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

                                I am frankly in doubt, what additional information could I provide.

                                Would mean magnetic declination for place and time, when the issue occurred, be helpful ?



                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X