4.19 & 4.20 Editor & Packaged Games Have Hangs/Hiccups Constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Efrye View Post

I'd recommend to just download the latest preview and give it a shot. 4.20 P3 fixed the hiccup issues I was having, but it would appear that there are several different causes for the same symptoms.
    I have made the test 4.20 P4, same machine but nVidia driver updated to 398.36 of Jun 26 2018, and the hiccups are still there, but they take a lot more time to notice. I left the test project (the one with lots of particles) opened by at least 16min with fps counter active until the hiccups started to appear. The issue is not gone, just taking more time to appear!
    Nilson Lima
    Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
    Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
    supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

I have made the test 4.20 P4, same machine but nVidia driver updated to 398.36 of Jun 26 2018, and the hiccups are still there, but they take a lot more time to notice. I left the test project (the one with lots of particles) opened by at least 16min with fps counter active until the hiccups started to appear. The issue is not gone, just taking more time to appear!
      I let the project from this post run for about 30 minutes and even bumped up the emitter count to 1400 - still no noticeable hitching at all. It may only be fixed for some machines, but I can definitely no longer reproduce it. (Windows 10, GTX 970 (Nvidia driver 398.36), 32 GB RAM, i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz)

Comment

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know we've been having some discussions on this internally, I don't have any news as of right now, but as soon as I know more I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Efrye View Post

I'd recommend to just download the latest preview and give it a shot. 4.20 P3 fixed the hiccup issues I was having, but it would appear that there are several different causes for the same symptoms.
          From the thread, it appears that some people have these hiccups, some simply don't. I did not experience any hiccup so far, and 4.20 is in the horizon. So it is better to test the version which will receive update.

Comment

Waurelius

Besides hitching, there is also a considerable regression with overall drawing to render target from blueprint speed.

512 FFT water(~~35 passes), ran on blueprints, takes 1.4ms on 1060 in 4.18
            The same becomes 2.2ms in 4.19

Comment

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...119b4f6d1d84a2

Comment

Well, that's one way to solve it. I mean I understand, I wouldn't want to mop up nVidia's [ADVERTISER_FRIENDLY_CONTENT] either. Unless of course this isn't caused by those drivers, but I'll go out on a limb and assume they did their due diligence.

Comment

That is.... not the kind of fix one would expect. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrey View Post

That is.... not the kind of fix one would expect. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                    It looks like a lazy "solution". How does it not leak and hitch on 4.18 on same drivers?
                    Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
                    Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames, Neo Kinect

Comment

https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-60787
                      Target fix has been postponed to 4.20.1. Even if it's a bug that affects the end user, they'll release it anyways.

Update: Fixed and target fix changed to 4.20. Thanks a lot Epic!
                      I stand corrected and it does look like they care about the release quality.
                      Last edited by RVillani; 07-12-2018, 12:59 AM.
                      Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
                      Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames, Neo Kinect

Comment

Any idea why they only blacklisted those, and not all newer ones?
                        Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                        Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

I have read somewhere that game engine developer often stumble upon quirky driver issue - they will not do certain things correctly, and the sane thing to do is to simple do the 'if driver_version == xxxx' then do this.. Some drivers simply lie their capabilities and they get parsed in the 'if blocks' too...

Comment

Originally posted by Syed View Post
                            I have read somewhere that game engine developer often stumble upon quirky driver issue - they will not do certain things correctly, and the sane thing to do is to simple do the 'if driver_version == xxxx' then do this.. Some drivers simply lie their capabilities and they get parsed in the 'if blocks' too...
                            Sure, but if the new driver versions are also not working and you are silent about the whole situation, even if the most popular twitch streamers experience the same issue on Fortnite and restart their whole game after a couple of matches, it gets frustrating. Overwatch had a driver issue that took them more than half a year to fix if not longer, but they at least gave an announcement and told users which latest driver version they should download. Instead some of the more experienced users have to invest time and find out which version is working. Then all other people have to read the forum and find out on which page someone said something about a version that seems to work. Besides, Blizzard asked the community for logs and their hardware. I understand it's ludicrous to check every hardware setup, but with the data collected the least you can check is the most common setup that has the problem. All in all, it just gives the impression epic is doing nothing the whole time or they miraculously are the only ones who don't have this problem.

(Also, I mentioned Fotnite and I know nobody can tell if their problem is correlated to the engine and how many smaller issues contribute to the leak, fact is, since march/april or something the engine and Fortnite are leaking concerning amount of memory on the newest 1060 drivers (which is the most used graphics card according to Steam data) for me and enough other people to give at least a post about it)
                            Last edited by Ninjin; 07-04-2018, 04:05 PM.
                            https://twitter.com/Ninjin42

Comment

Just to add to this thread, got a heads up that an issue I'm having could be somewhat related: getting constant hitches when enabling motion blur on mesh particles, video here for context: https://youtu.be/HPPuSYPHZ5o

Also can confirm that closing the editor and reopening seems to reset the issue temporarily, but the longer it is open, the more obvious the issue gets.

On freshly opening the editor, I have constant stable 120FPS with a particle system running with thousands of mesh pieces. Then even 10 minutes later, the issue becomes so bad that same particle system is dipping from 120 down to 10FPS or lower with extremely obvious hitches lasting for what seems like almost a second of half second each.

Hopefully a fix is on the way!
                              Last edited by EoinOBroin; 07-10-2018, 10:34 PM.
                              ARTSTATION: https://www.artstation.com/artist/noisestorm

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjin View Post

Sure, but if the new driver versions are also not working and you are silent about the whole situation, even if the most popular twitch streamers experience the same issue on Fortnite and restart their whole game after a couple of matches, it gets frustrating. Overwatch had a driver issue that took them more than half a year to fix if not longer, but they at least gave an announcement and told users which latest driver version they should download. Instead some of the more experienced users have to invest time and find out which version is working. Then all other people have to read the forum and find out on which page someone said something about a version that seems to work. Besides, Blizzard asked the community for logs and their hardware. I understand it's ludicrous to check every hardware setup, but with the data collected the least you can check is the most common setup that has the problem. All in all, it just gives the impression epic is doing nothing the whole time or they miraculously are the only ones who don't have this problem.

(Also, I mentioned Fotnite and I know nobody can tell if their problem is correlated to the engine and how many smaller issues contribute to the leak, fact is, since march/april or something the engine and Fortnite are leaking concerning amount of memory on the newest 1060 drivers (which is the most used graphics card according to Steam data) for me and enough other people to give at least a post about it)
                                It is always communicated to the manufacturers ie Nvidia - it is not silent. Or smallish engine developer will just watch the communication and decides to blacklist the driver etc. It is not unusual.

Comment

Working...
                                X