4.19 & 4.20 Editor & Packaged Games Have Hangs/Hiccups Constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post

Not sure if you're aware, but this post still has the [EDITOR] tag.
    Just removed it, none of the prefixes really fit this thread. Thank you once again John!
    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

It's nice to see everyone in the community working together to solve these types of problems, and I honestly expect at least one engineer to have responded with some acknowledgement of the issue.
      Last edited by AHLabrodex; 06-20-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Just gonna join the club of frustrated devs. I recently (2 weeks ago) upgraded to 4.19.2, and since then been working hard on features, only to gradually realize how screwed 4.19.2 really is. I've read through most of this thread, and my issue does actually maybe differ a bit from what the majority see, but nevertheless may well be related. I often see some errors as i describe in my answerhub question here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...texture2d.html. As you can see from that post, i tested all on a packaged game, in VR which used to run flawlessly on 4.18.3. Im on an i7-4970, gtx1080ti,32gigabyte ram and plenty of hd. Latest drivers and tested with both Vive and Oculus. Same results. My game now and then comes to an almost halt with 1-2 secs of constant stutters, where i keep seeing these: Warning: Hitch on async loading of Texture2D lines in my log. When i run with stat startfile to profile the cause, it gets really bad, and almost nonstop hitches.

I wonder how many are affected by these hitch bugs? And if Epic Games are really aware of this? As i can see from some related bug-issues.
        https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-57976
        and https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-58673
        it seems they're either not resolved or set to be handled in 4.21... Does 4.21 even have a projected date?

Comment

Hey guys, just noticed a new issue added to the tracker, vote this one up!! It's the most relevant bug report to this thread, and this thread was linked to the bug report.

UE-60787 - Performance drop when calling draw to render target
          Last edited by DotCam; 06-19-2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

None of those is marked as Fix 4.20 unfortunately.

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
            Hey guys, just noticed a new issue added to the tracker, vote this one up!! It's the most relevant bug report to this thread, and this thread might have been linked to the bug report.

UE-60787 - Performance drop when calling draw to render target
            Nice! And there actually is a link to this thread on there:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	ForumLink.PNG Views:	2 Size:	26.6 KB ID:	1491442
            Which is a direct link to Deathreys summary post in here, which I linked in the 4.20 preview thread, so I assume thats where they saw it and entered the issue: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...39#post1491039
            Last edited by John Alcatraz; 06-19-2018, 09:00 PM.
            Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
            Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
              Which is a direct link to Deathreys summary post in here, which I linked in the 4.20 preview thread, so I assume thats where they saw it and entered the issue: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...39#post1491039
              Oh you're right. Ok now it makes sense why they removed the link, good catch
              Last edited by DotCam; 06-19-2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZioYuri78 View Post
                Looks like 4.19.2 it's no longer hangs here with the new NVIDIA driver but you know never say never...
                I was wrong, very wrong, today a single blueprint with a HISM component with a bunch of instances (34) eated 50% of my ram

Spoiler
                Join the Unreal Engine community on Reddit! | Twitter: @ZioYuri78

Comment

Hey all,
                  I chatted with the team on this(60787) today and they are aiming for a fix in 4.20 - I am not confirming that it will go into 4.20, but that is the current target. As for 57557, it could not be reproduced internally, so if you have more to that please be sure to share!

Sorry for the delay, we've been on the road the past few weeks!

Thanks,

~Tim

Comment

Hey folks,

I'm a little late to the party here but I just wanted to chime in to say that we are looking at this issue. Specifically the hitching in Deathreys's project. I confirm on my machine that it is indeed 'leaking like a colander' in 4.20. Based on initial investigation it has something to do with the switch to Manual Vertex Fetch style rendering and subsequent changes to canvas rendering (which the 'RenderMaterialToRenderTarget' function uses. I'll update you guys when we know more about how pervasive the underlying problem is. Thanks for the good data in this thread and your patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Waurelius View Post
                      Hey folks,

I'm a little late to the party here but I just wanted to chime in to say that we are looking at this issue. Specifically the hitching in Deathreys's project. I confirm on my machine that it is indeed 'leaking like a colander' in 4.20. Based on initial investigation it has something to do with the switch to Manual Vertex Fetch style rendering and subsequent changes to canvas rendering (which the 'RenderMaterialToRenderTarget' function uses. I'll update you guys when we know more about how pervasive the underlying problem is. Thanks for the good data in this thread and your patience.
                      Would you also want to test our iOs project? I have tried to pin point problem for last two month without results. Basically it's something with rendering thread. 4.20 introduced lot of optimizations but performance is still worse than with 4.18.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalvothe View Post
                        Hey all,
                        I chatted with the team on this(60787) today and they are aiming for a fix in 4.20 - I am not confirming that it will go into 4.20, but that is the current target. As for 57557, it could not be reproduced internally, so if you have more to that please be sure to share!

Sorry for the delay, we've been on the road the past few weeks!

Thanks,

~Tim
                        Tim,

As far as the original 57557 goes - not sure what to say or add. Adding those mesh particles as described brings my project/editor to it's knees with the timed hang/stutter - at least it did a few weeks ago when I stopped using/testing 4.19 and went back to 4.18. The more you add the worse it gets, but the effect is there with only a couple just more subtle. It seems to not be related specifically to those Epic Shooter mesh particles, but to mesh particles in general as others have reported.
                        No problem/symptoms in 4.18, 4.19 adds the crippling stutter, I spent three days trying to find the cause of my project hanging stuttering so badly and those particles were the undeniable culprit. I included a simple demo scene, made a video with a link with the bug submission. I have a 4ghz+ i7, 24gb ram, GTX980, all pretty irrelevant since it happens with the tiny demo scene simply containing the particles I included with the bug report and others verified same results.

If all your internal PC's don't reproduce the problem after letting the editor run 15 minutes, I don't know what special sauce you might have to prevent the problem. Or if some extremely recent driver update changed something, or if you are all running Quadro's and the $2k special sauce drivers prevent the problem. That's all I got! Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalvothe View Post
                          [...] As for 57557, it could not be reproduced internally, so if you have more to that please be sure to share! [...]
                          I think 57557 and 58676 may have been fixed in 4.20 P3, or at least I can no longer reproduce them on my system either. I can still reproduce it in 4.19. (Windows 10, GTX 970 (Nvidia driver 398.11), 32 GB RAM, i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz).

Comment

Originally posted by Waurelius View Post
                            Hey folks,
                            The switch to Manual Vertex Fetch style rendering and subsequent changes to canvas rendering (which the 'RenderMaterialToRenderTarget' function uses. I'll update you guys when we know more about how pervasive the underlying problem is. Thanks for the good data in this thread and your patience.
                            Note, that drawing to a render target from a blueprint is easily reproducible, but it is not the only activity that demonstrates the issue. Particle systems are also affected.
                            Might be something about creating / updating buffers on the fly.

If you decide not to hotfix this in 4.20, a brief description of the issue, once located, would be helpful, so that others can patch it up for themselves.

Godspeed to ones, trying to locate the cause.

Comment

I've experienced similar problems in 4.19. Every 3-4 seconds the game just hangs for half a second. At that time I had multiple Editors opened. Once I rebooted Windows the issue went away.

Comment

Working...
                              X