PlayStation and Xbox development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PACKAGE & DEPLOY] PlayStation and Xbox development

I would like to develop games for PlayStation 4 and Xbox one. On your blog: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...validated=true you wrote how to access development on the console. To do this, you need to register as a developer of PlayStation or Xbox. What if I am a small indie developer and cannot register as a company? For example, in the Game engine Game Maker studio 2 for game development on the console, you only need to install the developer's Xbox or PlayStation SDK and specify the path to it in the engine settings. I can't find where to point the path to the Xbox or PlayStation SDK in the Unreal Engine. I'd like to see a similar feature appeared in the Unreal Engine. Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

In the attached screenshots you can see how it is implemented in Game Maker studio 2:

Before you can access any of the source files for Xbox One or PlayStation 4, you'll still have to register with Microsoft or Sony before we can provide access and if their stipulation is that you must have a company that is not something that we can bypass. Once your registration is verified and you are given entitlements you can access the files and use a source version of the engine to integrate them into your build for packaging and deployment. Until then, there's not much that can be done from our end. Sorry.

Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
    UE4 Documentation

Comment

And just to make clear, while that path appears in the editor, Game Maker doesn't have the ability to allow you to run your game on a console without being part of the developer program either.

Comment

In order to even get the SDK's (legally) or publish a game to either store - you have to be a registered company anyway. EDIT: Fighter beat me to that.. oops.

Originally posted by Grun2016 View Post
        What if I am a small indie developer and cannot register as a company?
        I don't know about other countries, but in the UK it costs less than £20 to setup and register a company, and it's completely free to register for Tax self assessment if you're self-employed.

Comment

Working...
        X