Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to rethink the UE4 Visual Studio solution structure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antidamage View Post
    I don't know why PAKs can't be unencrypted, unarchived, have a handful of uassets updates and patches applied and then have them re-archived and encrypted. Is it a security problem for this to be done on the client? I guess so.

So what's wrong with a straight PAK to PAK diff patch? And if it fails checksum use p2p to fetch the correct portions of it and reconstruct just the chunks that are invalid.

Someone make this tool, we'll all give you money.
    I am not sure, but I think PAK encryption uses public/private key pairs. If so, the shipping executable is only capable of decrypting PAK files and cannot encrypt them. But based on the 4.19 preview, it seems there are new options to control how encrypted you want your PAK files (I saw something about encrypting only config files but not the uassets themselves to make patching easier).

Comment

I don't know if this anything to do with the structure but I notice that even a small UE C++ project takes ages to start up because of the many DLL files it loads. That is the worst for me since I often close and restart my UE program due to the fact that I dont use the compile from UE feature. I don't trust it because it has already failed me many times and then I had to leave anyway and delete everything manually before rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Wallenstein View Post
        I don't know if this anything to do with the structure but I notice that even a small UE C++ project takes ages to start up because of the many DLL files it loads.
        Well, it should be ages minus 15 seconds in 4.19 - this commit promises substantial improvement
        https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...e4e27dea3a23ef

Comment

Originally posted by Just Krishna View Post

Well, it should be ages minus 15 seconds in 4.19 - this commit promises substantial improvement
          https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...e4e27dea3a23ef
          I tested compiling this commit and didn't notice any change in loading times. Still takes > 10 seconds...

Comment

Originally posted by Zeblote View Post

I tested compiling this commit and didn't notice any change in loading times. Still takes > 10 seconds...
            I assume it's 15s in the worst case scenario. My loading times never were that bad and consequentially I didn't see that big of a gain.

Comment

A colleague of mine that works every day on c++ told me not to pay a cent for Vissual Assist because nearly 100% of the most important functionality is already implemented on this year's version of VS (2017)

Comment

Originally posted by darkgaze View Post
                A colleague of mine that works every day on c++ told me not to pay a cent for Vissual Assist because nearly 100% of the most important functionality is already implemented on this year's version of VS (2017)
                Im using VS 2017 and I can say VA makes it even easier, and it even improves the functionality. For me is like texturing with Photoshop and Subtance Painter, once you try Painter you won't go back.
                Nilson Lima
                Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by darkgaze View Post
                  It's not enough for it to be "implemented". For unreal intellisense is unusable slow, meanwhile VA has instant results for you.

Comment

Not too mention the convenience of Find Symbol pane, Open File in Solution window and many other QoL improvements.
                    Lately, Visual Assist also got may UE4-specific features, i.e. displaying possible UProperty/UFunction properties. Engine's symbols are parsed only once, not for every new solution. And so on...

Comment

If you use "Include What You Use" in your projects you are pretty much required to use Visual Assist. Since it auto-completes all symbols even if you didn't include their headers, you can start using whatever classes you want first and include later by right-clicking on them without having to find out which headers to include.

VA isn't a panacea, however. It's speed doesn't come without compromises. It can only be as fast as it is because it's "dumber" than Intellisense by "just" being a symbol database, without any of the error checks Intellisense does. If you code with only VA enabled, you'll have to wait until compilation to find out if the code you just wrote is valid. Thus, it would be nice if there was a way to make Intellisense faster.

Comment

Working...
                      X