Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expedited Hobbyist Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Expedited Hobbyist Support

    I would love the ability, to pay a monthly fee, maybe like $20-$30 per month, to have access to a hidden forum where we can get expedited help. Maybe even a dev would chime in now and then on common topics and issues. We can support Epic and get some much needed help on more advanced topics.

    #2
    No... Everyone will just join into it and your questions will once again be lost in a sea of inanity...

    If you're having problems getting questions answered on AnswerHub: Word them more succinctly(long/convoluted posts usually get ignored by most), include good pictures/videos(if you need them) and tag them with the proper tags. A good 90-95% of questions can be answered in <30 seconds by googling for "ue4 ***question or problem here***" but people seem to lack the initiative to bother researching on their own.

    Comment


      #3
      Lots of devs have suggested the same thing recently dude... Official Epic Response:

      Click image for larger version  Name:	Tumbleweed.gif Views:	1 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	1433923

      The problem is when you run the numbers they don't make a lot of sense for Epic sadly...
      Last edited by ClavosTech; 02-23-2018, 11:06 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        Click image for larger version

Name:	book-kid-give-mouse-cookie-politics.png
Views:	1
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	1433926

        ..... They will eventually ask for them to show them how to make their "make mmo button" for them...

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	book-kid-give-mouse-cookie-politics.png
Views:	1
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	1433926

          ..... They will eventually ask for them to show them how to make their "make mmo button" for them...
          Unfortunately true, and I suppose offering any kind of paid support will get people doing exactly that.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by franktech View Post
            Lots of devs have suggested the same thing recently dude... Official Epic Response:

            Click image for larger version Name:	Tumbleweed.gif Views:	1 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	1433923

            The problem is when you run the numbers they don't make a lot of sense for Epic sadly...
            Yeah and the cat's out of the bag with having a $20/m barrier. I noticed the level of support hit rock bottom when that pricetag went away.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by The Britain View Post

              Yeah and the cat's out of the bag with having a $20/m barrier. I noticed the level of support hit rock bottom when that pricetag went away.
              Let's say you have a knowledgeable programmer, with degrees in programming, doing tech support and he needs to be paid 60k USD per year. That's 5000 per month, which would mean that you'd need a minimum of 250 subscribers @ 20USD per month, in order for them to break even on the investment. With the high volume of questions, you're going to need multiple people on support like that. Can you see where the numbers are heading?
              Last edited by IronicParadox; 02-24-2018, 12:17 AM.

              Comment


                #8
                Mind you, this is exactly why engine custom licensing (and thus UDN access) is limited to enterprises only, but this idea could theoretically work but with a far steeper price to act as an entry barrier.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post
                  Let's say you have a knowledgeable programmer, with degrees in programming, doing tech support and he needs to be paid 60k USD per year. That's 5000 per month, which would mean that you'd need a minimum of 250 subscribers @ 20USD per month, in order for them to break even on the investment. With the high volume of questions, you're going to need multiple people on support like that. Can you see where the numbers are heading?
                  Those costs are way too optimistic... Seriously, it could be Double / Treble after everything is factored in.
                  1. Cost of hiring (Recruiters / Ads / Relocation) 2. Training 3. Benefits 4. Govt-Taxes (where applicable)...
                  1000 devs sign up, Epic could maybe afford to hire 2 staff on the Docs side. But subs tend to trail off too...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by franktech View Post

                    Those costs are way too optimistic... Seriously, it could be Double / Treble after everything is factored in.
                    1. Cost of hiring (Recruiters / Ads / Relocation) 2. Training 3. Benefits 4. Govt-Taxes (where applicable)...
                    1000 devs sign up, Epic could maybe afford to hire 2 staff on the Docs side. But subs tend to trail off too...
                    Right, I was just giving an extremely simplified rundown of cost. Realistically, they would make it a yearly sub fee so that subs wouldn't be able to trail off so quickly and it would likely be for ~1k per year. Otherwise, people just get it and quit it when they need it.

                    I still don't see this happening any time soon, but who knows?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      That ability always existed, it's called "custom license" which grants you access to the mythical UDN, the land of honey and milk where questions are answered by internal staff very quickly. Costs quite a bit more than $20 a month, however.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Manoel.Neto View Post
                        That ability always existed, it's called "custom license" which grants you access to the mythical UDN, the land of honey and milk where questions are answered by internal staff very quickly. Costs quite a bit more than $20 a month, however.
                        Yes, but that only worked when the pool of users was tiny. Now that the engine is free, there are probably 1,000 to 10,000 times as many people trying to use the engine...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

                          Yes, but that only worked when the pool of users was tiny. Now that the engine is free, there are probably 1,000 to 10,000 times as many people trying to use the engine...
                          UDN still works and is very active, probably more so than before.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Manoel.Neto View Post
                            Costs quite a bit more than $20 a month, however.
                            How much more?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by DamirH View Post

                              UDN still works and is very active, probably more so than before.
                              Well that's good that it is (I've never personally used it). It's probably significantly more expensive than 20 USD per month though.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X