Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please separate Unreal Engine 4 from your games Launcher!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DamirH View Post
    To be brutally honest, thoughtless and trivial complaints such as these are probably one of the reasons why Epic's forum presence evaporated. You're supposed to be developers, technically literate, yet you throw around claims such as "easily pull all tools into a separate launcher", as if separating the database and the login services is copy pasting a bunch of files and as if developing a new launcher just for that is a week's work, to name the least of the problems with these arguments.

Can there be improvements to the Launcher and the services? Absolutely. This whole issue is side-stepped if only it'd be possible to download marketplace assets from the browser. But some of the posts in this tread are, to put it as politely as possible, ludicrous at best.
    There was nothing thoughtless about my complaint but I won't bother arguing the point with you as it's not likely to accomplish anything. You're welcome to feel however you like about the issue. I didn't post to get your attention anyway.
    -TorQueMoD
    www.torquemod.com

Comment

Is the problem still persisting for anyone? I haven't had the issues in the past two days.
      -TorQueMoD
      www.torquemod.com

Comment

Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post

There was nothing thoughtless about my complaint but I won't bother arguing the point with you as it's not likely to accomplish anything. You're welcome to feel however you like about the issue. I didn't post to get your attention anyway.
        This has nothing to so with feeling or arguing. I am merely calling you out on requesting what is just one step away from "Where is the make MMO button", as threads like these divert attention away from actual realistic issues and are hurting the community in more than one way. You're making a mountain out of a molehill and demand Epic invest tens of thousands of man-hours to remove what is at best a minor, temporary inconvenience.

Comment

This is also driving me nuts. Is there really no other way for me to access my marketplace content? I am currently setting up a new PC and am in a time critical period so this is more than a slight inconvenience to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post

This has nothing to so with feeling or arguing...

Not making us wait in queue behind games like Fortnite isn't like requesting a "Make MMO" button sorry. Especially given the number of employees at Epic games. In fact, I think they already implemented a fix because as I said It's been a non issue (at least for me) for the past few days and I'm pretty sure Fortnite didn't just lose it's entire player base in one night.

Telling people not to voice their opinions and issues is just lame. I'm not diverting attention away from actual issues by simply voicing my opinion. I'm sure Epic has the ability to choose which posts to read and which not to and if there are others who are experiencing the same problem, then it's something worth mentioning.

You say it has nothing to do with feeling and yet here you are White Knighting on behalf of Epic telling me that I'm wasting Epic's time... that sir, is the definition of an emotional response.

On a side note, your game looks pretty good
            Last edited by TorQueMoD; 02-10-2018, 06:53 PM.
            -TorQueMoD
            www.torquemod.com

Comment

So we just encountered this error here at work, and no amount of re-installation of any of the packages in the list helped:

http://help.epicgames.com/customer/e...games-launcher

Can you guess what the workaround was? Run the Editor directly and ignore the Launcher.

Comment

Originally posted by roberteker View Post
                So we just encountered this error here at work, and no amount of re-installation of any of the packages in the list helped:

http://help.epicgames.com/customer/e...games-launcher

Can you guess what the workaround was? Run the Editor directly and ignore the Launcher.
                Slightly off topic from the main post but I get your connection. I actually had the same issue myself and it turns out it's all about windows updates and MSVC++ redistributables I actually posted a guide on how to fix it here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...nreal-engine-4
                -TorQueMoD
                www.torquemod.com

Comment

When I first installed "today" inn the EULA section which i like most people dont read i caught that the title was "Fortnite End User Liscense Agreement" being a long time anti fortniter i do not want to install fortnite, why does the party of Epic Games feel that it is ok to hide a fortnite download in the epic installer download, also i wish that the engine could be downloaded seperately from the launcher.

Comment

Originally posted by ImSunkenDrone View Post
                    When I first installed "today" inn the EULA section which i like most people dont read i caught that the title was "Fortnite End User Liscense Agreement" being a long time anti fortniter i do not want to install fortnite, why does the party of Epic Games feel that it is ok to hide a fortnite download in the epic installer download, also i wish that the engine could be downloaded seperately from the launcher.
                    What on Earth is an anti-fortniter?

They don't "hide" Fortnite in the launcher, you have to explicitly install it.

Comment

Originally posted by ImSunkenDrone View Post
                      ... i wish that the engine could be downloaded seperately from the launcher.
                      It can be downloaded separately ... the source code version ... the version in the launcher is a pre-built binary version which I practically never use. I use the source code version and have different branches exported for the versions I need.
                      Quinton Delpeche
                      Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

As someone who does not play Fortnite nor is using the Epic shop in any way, and is just using the Engine to develop own games, I agree on this request. The first thing I did was to hide the games library and shop - which made the launcher start up much faster.
                        But it still feels unnecessary to have it and I would very much love to be able to simply install a seperated, minimalistic "gamedev" version of the launcher without all the bloat that comes with the games part.

The only other option I have right now is to block the internet access for the launcher, and only allow it whenever I need to download something.

Comment

Block the launcher from auto-launching by doing this.

Launch projects either from shortcuts .. or directly from C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Unreal Projects .. or have a shortcut of the UE4Editor.exe and launch that to choose which project you wish to open without needing the launcher for that.

Create new projects by either launching one of your existing projects, and go to File → New project..

Or launch the UE4Editor.exe directly from "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.22\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe" (or so)

You can surely wait when it comes to updating ue4 versions or installing new plugins to the engine via the launcher, if there is a small delay with the servers.

Comment

Working...
                          X