Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please separate Unreal Engine 4 from your games Launcher!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post

Yeah, It just doesn't make sense that it's bloated with the games. I mean I suppose it makes sense for Epic, but not really for the UE4 Devs.
    Maybe they put it together for advertising so that we see all their games?

Comment

Originally posted by Dudester01 View Post

Maybe they put it together for advertising so that we see all their games?
      Yeah, that's what I was thinking. They want it to be their version of Steam and avoid losing 30% to valve.
      -TorQueMoD
      www.torquemod.com

Comment

Kia ora

Having to go into a wait state to get at assets you paid for, to get to things that are NOT related to actual game play is just NOT kosha at all in any shape of the word game play should NOT effect other use. specially when people WILL miss scales discounts or fine it hard to do business because somebody else is playing a game

Comment

We just got Unreal Engine installed here at work, and are completely baffled by having to wait 8 minutes in some sort of queue in order to start working.

I mean, it's also weird to have to launch Steam in a work environment (for VR support), but coming from Unity, does this mean that if I start a new project and want to download asset updates (things bought from the marketplace), do we also have to wait?

EDIT: Just to clarify, we do not do game related development.

Comment

Dear god separate them. Fortnites instability shouldn't have an impact on live services for their professional tools. No idea why this was ever thought to be a good idea having UE4 under the games launcher...

Comment

Should really be separate indeed.

Comment

To be fair, I don't think Epic ever expected Fortnite to get as big as it has.

Originally posted by roberteker View Post
                I mean, it's also weird to have to launch Steam in a work environment (for VR support)
                If you're building for Steam VR I wouldn't call that wierd...

Everyone - If you already have the engine installed, you can just work offline or launch the .exe directly. If you need to install well, unfortunately you have to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by roberteker View Post
                  We just got Unreal Engine installed here at work, and are completely baffled by having to wait 8 minutes in some sort of queue in order to start working.

I mean, it's also weird to have to launch Steam in a work environment (for VR support), but coming from Unity, does this mean that if I start a new project and want to download asset updates (things bought from the marketplace), do we also have to wait?

EDIT: Just to clarify, we do not do game related development.
                  Yes, sadly in it's current state it does. That's why I created this post. This is completely unacceptable Epic!
                  -TorQueMoD
                  www.torquemod.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                    To be fair, I don't think Epic ever expected Fortnite to get as big as it has.
                    That's hardly an excuse. They should have created two launchers... one for their games and one for the engine. Then it wouldn't matter how big any of their games get. And it's not like Epic haven't made hugely popular games before. I hate when studios who have been making games for decades still keep making amateur mistakes!
                    -TorQueMoD
                    www.torquemod.com

Comment

Anyone who agrees with this post should Like my first post so it gets noticed by Epic! My god I hope they actually change this system in the future.
                      -TorQueMoD
                      www.torquemod.com

Comment

I don't think this will happen, as it ties directly with the modding solution/phylosophy
                        Follow me on Twitter!
                        Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                        Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                          I don't think this will happen, as it ties directly with the modding solution/phylosophy
                          Even modders shouldn't have to wait for several minutes just to get access to the Editor. It just doesn't make sense. Epic could easily put all the official engine tools including the various games you can mod for in it's own separate launcher.
                          -TorQueMoD
                          www.torquemod.com

Comment

Even modders shouldn't have to wait for several minutes just to get access to the Editor. It just doesn't make sense.
                            You don't need launcher to access modding editor if you'd use shortcut to project. Launcher does nothing more, it's like list of shortcuts
                            Although if game provide updates - yes, you need a launcher to sync your editor.
                            And I don't understand why you're waiting "several minutes"? Is it on crazy slow HDD?

Epic could easily put all the official engine tools including the various games you can mod for in it's own separate launcher.
                            Wait... in previous sentence you stated it's wrong that modders need to use launcher. So... as solution you propose to create yet another launcher?
                            It still would use the same ID and servers. There's no point in separating it because of very rare downtimes.

Comment

To be brutally honest, thoughtless and trivial complaints such as these are probably one of the reasons why Epic's forum presence evaporated. You're supposed to be developers, technically literate, yet you throw around claims such as "easily pull all tools into a separate launcher", as if separating the database and the login services is copy pasting a bunch of files and as if developing a new launcher just for that is a week's work, to name the least of the problems with these arguments.

Can there be improvements to the Launcher and the services? Absolutely. This whole issue is side-stepped if only it'd be possible to download marketplace assets from the browser. But some of the posts in this tread are, to put it as politely as possible, ludicrous at best.
                              Last edited by DamirH; 02-09-2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Krishna View Post
                                Wait... in previous sentence you stated it's wrong that modders need to use launcher. So... as solution you propose to create yet another launcher?
                                It still would use the same ID and servers. There's no point in separating it because of very rare downtimes.
                                I suggest you read more than a single post before you chime in with your two cents otherwise you come across as a jerk without likely meaning to. I was replying to what someone else said and I already know that the launcher isn't needed to access the tools. The wait time has nothing to do with my hardware, it's a connection to the launcher while too many people are playing Fortnite. It's imposed by Epic which is why I was complaining in the first place. If you read the first post, you'd know that.
                                -TorQueMoD
                                www.torquemod.com

Comment

Working...
                                X