Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.17-4.18 LPV is completely broken. 4-19 - what's next ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Haoris View Post
    The built-in GI is not the only GI solution in the world.
    But only one that was available to general public. Do you have access to Enlighten?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post

UE4 does not have another dynamic GI solution LOL
    You can use other GI solution with the engine https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...nreal-engine-4
    The built-in GI is not the only GI solution in the world.
    And Epic use modified engine versions for their game, they're not using the public version

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Haoris View Post

Right, they made a lot of videos about it and they just CAN'T use lightmap at all in Fornite as almost nothing in the scenes is static.
    I don't play this game so I don't know but if there's light bounces then it's LPV or another dynamic GI solution, not lightmaps
    UE4 does not have another dynamic GI solution LOL

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iniside View Post

Fortnite uses only dynamic lighting.
    Right, they made a lot of videos about it and they just CAN'T use lightmap at all in Fornite as almost nothing in the scenes is static.
    I don't play this game so I don't know but if there's light bounces then it's LPV or another dynamic GI solution, not lightmaps

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DamirH View Post

Wait what? Epic never used LPV, ever. Fortnite and Paragon use Lightmass.
    Fortnite uses only dynamic lighting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    FYI, emissive materials and occlusion can be re-enabled by disabling DBuffer decals.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...usion-bug.html

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DamirH View Post

Are you sure? I thought I saw in some old video showing directional light with LPV.. but maybe I'm wrong. My bad.. sorry.
    By the way, by any chance you guys know if it's possible to bake Volumetric and Character Indirect Lighting without actually baking static lightmaps?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SmartPolygon View Post
    I'm just angry because now we are left without ANY solution for unbaked GI. And I'm angry because Epic IS still using it in Fortnite and Paragon, so tell me why they ditched it from UE4?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

You're right, I wouldn't ever bother designing around an experimental and incomplete feature like that. But if they broke it, then they broke it. Use a previous version of the engine, where it works, or find another solution/workaround to your problem.
    Yup. Ahh well, no helping it. I will stick to point lights. I can drive it's color from material in a blueprint somehow. Not a best solution, but well...

Leave a comment:

• replied

Looks like You didn't read previous comments, and didn't try it in UE4.17-4.19. This feature is not working anymore.
    You're right, I wouldn't ever bother designing around an experimental and incomplete feature like that. But if they broke it, then they broke it. Use a previous version of the engine, where it works, or find another solution/workaround to your problem.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

Google for ue4 lpv emissive. It's literally the first result...

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ssive-material
    Looks like You didn't read previous comments, and didn't try it in UE4.17-4.19. This feature is not working anymore.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm just angry because now we are left without ANY solution for unbaked GI. And I'm angry because Epic IS still using it in Fortnite and Paragon, so tell me why they ditched it from UE4? It worked fine until 4.16, now it doesn't, and doesn't seem like they will bring it back.. So I cannot make animated TV light, animated lamps, or any animated sci-fi glowing materials, no help to light interiors without HOURS or even DAYS of baking lightmaps. Not to mention that making lightmap UVs for UE is a nightmare, since it's one lighmap per mesh and not per material or UV set, so i have to split meshes to tiny pieces. Also, seams are visible on lightmaps, so it's yet another obstacle to keep in mind..
    Unity did a massive improvements in regards of lighting. They are atlasing the lightmap UV islands into separated lightmap textures, so you can make bigger meshes without splitting it to small pieces. They added the progressive rendering, which is fantastic! The light probes are very cool too, since you can tweak the GI density/precision manually in the scene if you spot some GI bugs. And then finally they implemented the emissive dynamic area lighting I mentioned before.
    It has screen space and planar reflections, has HBAO, volumetric lights and shadows are now much better than ever. So it doesn't miss anything that UE4 doesn't have. Actually there are things that I wish to have in UE4, like proper root motion and humanoid system, fbx objects hierarchy with proper pivot points, non skinned mesh animation, or reusable between scenes curve/key animation system for any kind of object.
    The reason I'm using UE4 are blueprints, integrated AI, best material editor I've ever seen and Terrain tolls. There are obviously many many more reasons, like fantastic community, great support and so on, but as an artist, for me bringing the assets to UE4, animating and lighting is a nightmare. Epic should seriously think more about it.
    Last edited by SmartPolygon; 03-30-2018, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any project that crawls to a halt because it's missing cosmetic features is arguably a project that needs some re-thinking either way. Sorry if that sounds rude but I'm really tired of people claiming that features like these are of GROUND-BREAKING IMPORTANCE when a) 99.99% of those same people don't have the technical know-how or resources to actually make a game with AAA realistic graphics that would justify the need for, in this case, dynamic GI and b) hundreds of AAA multi-million dollar successes released and sold without dynamic GI. I have never heard anyone say "Oh gee the gameplay of this game is amazing but I can't really recommend it because it just doesn't have dynamic GI".

By all means, please go and shift your project to Unity, their entire business model is advocating fancy features that have never been proven to work in the real world and most people don't actually need but lack the engineering experience to realize it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh my gosh.. I've been searching for hours to find a way to make the emissive material work with LPV in 4.19. Couldn't figure out why it's not working anymore... I'm so sad. Even Unity has it working now! I might as well go to Unity, **** it! My project is at halt!
    Google for ue4 lpv emissive. It's literally the first result...

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ssive-material

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh my gosh.. I've been searching for hours to find a way to make the emissive material work with LPV in 4.19. Couldn't figure out why it's not working anymore... I'm so sad. Even Unity has it working now! I might as well go to Unity, **** it! My project is at halt!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X