Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.17-4.18 LPV is completely broken. 4-19 - what's next ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kjustynski View Post
    The biggest Epic games aren't designed for Nintendo Switch, mobile, VR/AR. Still they're doing great job on it. Robo Recall was more like a way to "battle test" Unreal's VR than a standalone product made for profit. Epic games don't need big system like Sequencer too much, but lot of non-Epic games use it.
    that's all part of the features the big partners need though
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
    Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

And a hundreds of small studios, man. Especially VR, AAA studios wait until VR market would be ready for big productions.
      Also... I'm pretty sure those "big partners" would love to have fully dynamic GI implemented for them. For their open worlds. And that's not happening.

Is Niagara, new material layering workflow or new audio engine are systems only needed by "big partners"? No.
      Most of the systems/features serve studios of any size.
      It's truly amusing. UE4 is one of two most universal engines for indies and I'm so often reading "oh, Epic cares only about big partners"
      Last edited by Doctor Ergot; 12-19-2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Ok, readed the theme, and i think some of you people are very wrong
        LPV is a good already builtin technology and it's worth to develop it, because the performance of hardware are increasing rapidly and with it's expanding you dont need ideal GI - you need sufficient GI for your hardware/ And LPV is alredy here - give it some tweaks\features(like cascades) and it's enough
        Its like UVLayot softwere - 10 years old and still one the best in 3d industry.
        Give people what they are asking - LPV, cascades. and with increasing of hardwere productivity - it will be enough for time being. And then you can think of new GI for as long as you like.

Comment

Light Propagation Volumes are a feature in development and not ready for production.
          LPVs have always been an experimental thing and probably won't be iterated on any further. There are quite a few other real-time GI solutions out there and they all have their ups and downs. Pick your poison, preferably one with more frequent updates, and work around it.

Comment

Well the good news is Fable 4 is under development by MS, and for all appearances they're back using UE4 (LPV was originally being developed for a different Fable game). Maybe they'll try to commit something to the main codebase again. Then again maybe not. Other studios that use UE4 are baking their own GI solutions without putting it in the main codebase. For example I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian's new open world RPG (uses UE4) wouldn't end up with any commits back to the main engine, despite the fact that they'll obviously need something better for such a game.

Comment

Oh my gosh.. I've been searching for hours to find a way to make the emissive material work with LPV in 4.19. Couldn't figure out why it's not working anymore... I'm so sad. Even Unity has it working now! I might as well go to Unity, **** it! My project is at halt!

Comment

Originally posted by SmartPolygon View Post
                Oh my gosh.. I've been searching for hours to find a way to make the emissive material work with LPV in 4.19. Couldn't figure out why it's not working anymore... I'm so sad. Even Unity has it working now! I might as well go to Unity, **** it! My project is at halt!
                Google for ue4 lpv emissive. It's literally the first result...

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ssive-material

Comment

Any project that crawls to a halt because it's missing cosmetic features is arguably a project that needs some re-thinking either way. Sorry if that sounds rude but I'm really tired of people claiming that features like these are of GROUND-BREAKING IMPORTANCE when a) 99.99% of those same people don't have the technical know-how or resources to actually make a game with AAA realistic graphics that would justify the need for, in this case, dynamic GI and b) hundreds of AAA multi-million dollar successes released and sold without dynamic GI. I have never heard anyone say "Oh gee the gameplay of this game is amazing but I can't really recommend it because it just doesn't have dynamic GI".

By all means, please go and shift your project to Unity, their entire business model is advocating fancy features that have never been proven to work in the real world and most people don't actually need but lack the engineering experience to realize it.

Comment

I'm just angry because now we are left without ANY solution for unbaked GI. And I'm angry because Epic IS still using it in Fortnite and Paragon, so tell me why they ditched it from UE4? It worked fine until 4.16, now it doesn't, and doesn't seem like they will bring it back.. So I cannot make animated TV light, animated lamps, or any animated sci-fi glowing materials, no help to light interiors without HOURS or even DAYS of baking lightmaps. Not to mention that making lightmap UVs for UE is a nightmare, since it's one lighmap per mesh and not per material or UV set, so i have to split meshes to tiny pieces. Also, seams are visible on lightmaps, so it's yet another obstacle to keep in mind..
                    Unity did a massive improvements in regards of lighting. They are atlasing the lightmap UV islands into separated lightmap textures, so you can make bigger meshes without splitting it to small pieces. They added the progressive rendering, which is fantastic! The light probes are very cool too, since you can tweak the GI density/precision manually in the scene if you spot some GI bugs. And then finally they implemented the emissive dynamic area lighting I mentioned before.
                    It has screen space and planar reflections, has HBAO, volumetric lights and shadows are now much better than ever. So it doesn't miss anything that UE4 doesn't have. Actually there are things that I wish to have in UE4, like proper root motion and humanoid system, fbx objects hierarchy with proper pivot points, non skinned mesh animation, or reusable between scenes curve/key animation system for any kind of object.
                    The reason I'm using UE4 are blueprints, integrated AI, best material editor I've ever seen and Terrain tolls. There are obviously many many more reasons, like fantastic community, great support and so on, but as an artist, for me bringing the assets to UE4, animating and lighting is a nightmare. Epic should seriously think more about it.
                    Last edited by SmartPolygon; 03-30-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

Google for ue4 lpv emissive. It's literally the first result...

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ssive-material
                      Looks like You didn't read previous comments, and didn't try it in UE4.17-4.19. This feature is not working anymore.

Comment

Looks like You didn't read previous comments, and didn't try it in UE4.17-4.19. This feature is not working anymore.
                        You're right, I wouldn't ever bother designing around an experimental and incomplete feature like that. But if they broke it, then they broke it. Use a previous version of the engine, where it works, or find another solution/workaround to your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

You're right, I wouldn't ever bother designing around an experimental and incomplete feature like that. But if they broke it, then they broke it. Use a previous version of the engine, where it works, or find another solution/workaround to your problem.
                          Yup. Ahh well, no helping it. I will stick to point lights. I can drive it's color from material in a blueprint somehow. Not a best solution, but well...

Comment

I'm just angry because now we are left without ANY solution for unbaked GI. And I'm angry because Epic IS still using it in Fortnite and Paragon, so tell me why they ditched it from UE4?
                            Wait what? Epic never used LPV, ever. Fortnite and Paragon use Lightmass.

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post

Wait what? Epic never used LPV, ever. Fortnite and Paragon use Lightmass.
                              Are you sure? I thought I saw in some old video showing directional light with LPV.. but maybe I'm wrong. My bad.. sorry.
                              By the way, by any chance you guys know if it's possible to bake Volumetric and Character Indirect Lighting without actually baking static lightmaps?

Comment

FYI, emissive materials and occlusion can be re-enabled by disabling DBuffer decals.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...usion-bug.html

Comment

Working...
                                X