Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp decline in Official Responses from Epic throughout the community.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wont go into detail, but I feel the same way.
    I'm glad the marketplace team is picking up some slack, but I dunno.. for the last few months I do have this underbelly feel that something changed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
      This is very serious; I've seen all this happen before ( Torque engine's community, CryEngine's, Unity's)...
      Users began to give up those communities and flow away to something else.
      Are you saying unreal might not be around in a few years if this continues?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeblote View Post

Unreal is far too big to disappear like that. The community though has taken a turn for the worse, quite rapidly.
        [Submitted] Advanced Data Validation

Comment

Originally posted by Luos View Post
          for the last few months I do have this underbelly feel that something changed.
          Don't think your gut feeling is wrong.
          You can see a trend in the past year:

1. Tim Sweeney posting on the forums has become a thing of the past / almost totally stopped.
          2. The Roadmap was shelved or at least morphed into something else, less recognizable etc.
          3. Alexander Paschall left, and the new community manager's focus is clearly somewhere else.
          4. It took a 'mini-petition' for Epic to re-see value in the Community Tools section of the forums.
          5. Far fewer posters, and massive fall off in quality posts by regular posters. Discord effect???
          6. Backlog of PR's / Unanswered AH posts as discussed above, and in lots of other posts etc.
          7. No official reply to this thread addressing the core points, despite calling Epic to the thread....
          Last edited by ClavosTech; 11-04-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

its definently become very very difficult to get any response on answers unreal... and if there is a response its not usually a helpful one like in the past. I could be mistaken, but no one seems to really be trying to help lately... even when you give them a project with it reproducable they seem to want the steps to reproduce it... even though they can reproduce it on their end with that particular project... Its frustrating

In fact contacting people directly in a private message on the forums doesnt even yield a response anymore... unless the forums are broken... thats pretty messed up...

Seems liek one of the guys i used to go for questions or advice doesnt seem to work in that department anymore... Im having a hard time finding anyone to ask a question or advice too.. Posting on the forums or answers unreal seems pointless since no one really responds to that ever... Even though i continue to try constantly..... Cmon epic, do you want us to succeed ? Wheres the support at? New features are great, but half the time there broken. Hell i have a bug where merge actors makes 0 poly meshes if its not set to LOD 0 .. (auto lod by default..) Which also breaks HLOD ... so totally screws everything...

And even though ive given a small project where its reproducable in taht project.... i cant get any support for it since i dont know the exact steps that this bug started... i just know that building the current levels hlods or merge actor creates 0 poly meshes... and theres no way around it..
            Last edited by kurylo3d; 11-05-2017, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
              Discord effect???
              This is one thing that crossed my mind too, but Discord honestly amounts to little more than "how do I cast a BP!?" most of the time. For anything really advanced, there's no place to go anymore.
              [Submitted] Advanced Data Validation

Comment

As someone who just recently started using UE and came here from Unity, I can just say that community and a good marketplace is key. You can have a better engine and all, but without a helpful community you won't get many new customers. Look at VR/AR - Unity got a huge share of the pie, just because of that - lots and lots of support, templates, projects.... that's a long time investment

Comment

They've released around 4 games on a 6 month or less cadence (Paragon, Roborecall, Fortnite, Fortnite: BR). 3/4 of them are "games as a service" which require major ongoing attention, especially in the initial launch period. My guess is they are just busy and have pulled resources to focus on first launching and then fighting fires on those games.

Fortnite: BR has had 810,000 concurrent players, and has probably taken a huge effort to have rolled out as smooth as it has. They've said publicly UT4 people were pulled off of UT4 in creating it. Some of the engine community team may have be splitting time helping out with community stuff on those games (I haven't kept up with the forums for the games so don't know that for sure), etc.

Fortnite: BR hasn't necessarily brought in a lot of new monetary resources yet, given that it hasn't been monetized. PUBG, as mentioned earlier, surely has brought in some major cash: $60,000,000 if all copies were sold at $30 and Bluehole paid 5% without a special negotiated rate (it's only ~$15 in China though, so that is a big overestimate). But even with an influx of money, bringing in the right people always has a large lead time. Hopefully they can increase staff rapidly and avoid causing employee burnout.

All that activity is having lots of benefits to the stability/performance/battle-hardenedness of the engine. If your game uses a similar setup to any of their production games, things are now really getting solid without as many surprises as you would run into in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by muchcharles View Post
                    They've released around 4 games on a 6 month or less cadence (Paragon, Roborecall, Fortnite, Fortnite: BR). 3/4 of them are "games as a service" which require major ongoing attention, especially in the initial launch period. My guess is they are just busy and have pulled resources to focus on first launching and then fighting fires on those games.

Fortnite: BR has had 810,000 concurrent players, and has probably taken a huge effort to have rolled out as smooth as it has. They've said publicly UT4 people were pulled off of UT4 in creating it. Some of the engine community team may have be splitting time helping out with community stuff on those games (I haven't kept up with the forums for the games so don't know that for sure), etc.

Fortnite: BR hasn't necessarily brought in a lot of new monetary resources yet, given that it hasn't been monetized. PUBG, as mentioned earlier, surely has brought in some major cash: $60,000,000 if all copies were sold at $30 and Bluehole paid 5% without a special negotiated rate (it's only ~$15 in China though, so that is a big overestimate). But even with an influx of money, bringing in the right people always has a large lead time. Hopefully they can increase staff rapidly and avoid causing employee burnout.

All that activity is having lots of benefits to the stability/performance/battle-hardenedness of the engine. If your game uses a similar setup to any of their production games, things are now really getting solid without as many surprises as you would run into in the past.
                    If that was the case, surely they could just say that instead of hiding and ignoring everyone?

Comment

Putting my two cents here.

My team and I feel the same way, but we haven't stuck around to ponder why and how and just moved to Unity for our game and things have been butter smooth so far.
                      It just makes sense! We are busy developing rather than wondering!

The thing is guys UE4 scares us, it really does, I don't know what to make of this engine, it's way too convoluted, you need a team of monster engineers just to get the basic troubleshooting off your back and keep the flood gates closed, there are waaay too many question marks for any indie team to invest time on something still very unstable and on shiftable grounds..

Bottom line is this: If you don't have the solid backing with plenty of $$$ and lots of time to RnD with direct contact to Epic for support then good luck on betting on this horse.

I hate to say it because i still go back to UE4 and work on personal prototypes/demos mostly because of the visual side, because it can take it.. but that's all i can feel that is goin for it at least from our experience. If unity ever catches up visually to UE's prowess then i don't believe i would find a reason to be here at all, and it seems those guys are working on something to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeblote View Post

No; but indie devs and small studios are completely dependent on community. If UE4 community shrinks while Lumberyard's or Unity's increase, for indies using UE4 that becomes a major problem overtime.

Epic is going be just fine, I'm much more worried about the community around Unreal Engine and new comers giving up because they receive 0% backup.
                        | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
                          ...indie devs and small studios are completely dependent on community. If UE4 community shrinks while Lumberyard's or Unity's increase, for indies using UE4 that becomes a major problem overtime. Epic is going be just fine, I'm much more worried about the community around Unreal Engine and new comers giving up because they receive 0% backup.
                          Tim Sweeney recently reminded us all how important the Indie Community is:...
                          Looking for that link I found this....... Probably not looking optimistic anymore...
                          Last edited by ClavosTech; 11-05-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Actually I am fine with current 'offering'.. my only gripe is actually quite unrelated to this: I wish the major version (1,5,1.6 etc) should be done in longer iteration eg 6 months for each, instead of 3 months. This way, it is more feature-rich for major version, more bug fixing (which include those that get fixed in next major lol). Marketplace creator also do not have to update their items that often.. programmers also do not have to port their code too..

The support while it is not wrong to ask for more,is perfectly fine with community forum (for indies like us).. Epic may entertain paid support for corporate which is less headache (no offense, they have more discipline in requesting support, they usually have more able programmers and artists and they can pay more)..

Comment

Just chiming in my opinions based on personal experience over the last few months. I've made several answerhub reports in the last 2-3 months, all of which have been totally ignored. I haven't even received the go-to "we are closing this due to inactivity" response.

Epic have always encouraged folks to use Answerhub to reports bugs and issues, or other random findings. Why bother though, when you get a faster response on the forums from the community? I understand that we don't want bug reports here because the forums would end up being flooded, but people need solutions to their problems faster than Answerhub can ever provide.

Here's my big quarrel, and I've been saying this for years:
                              Answerhub is awful, and counter-intuitive. It's slow, it's terrible for searching, it's UI is horrid and it's UX is even worse. Even the Karma system doesn't encourage me to post answers over there. It didn't even load for me for OVER SIX MONTHS of last year.

Replace it with stack-exchange style system, and moonlight the existing answerhub.

I guarantee it will be a more useful source of information that WILL ENCOURAGE THE COMMUNITY TO GET MORE INVOLVED. Sometimes I find myself going to answers.unity.com to find more useful responses than I can find on answerhub.

But considering we're still waiting for the abomination that was the forum 'upgrade' to be sorted out (still bitter about my dark theme btw) - I don't think we'll see this anytime soon. I hate having a whinge on here, but honestly, it's hard to talk about this stuff repeatedly for years on end without getting frustrated.
                              Last edited by TheJamsh; 11-06-2017, 07:00 AM.

Comment

What about hiring out some outstanding Answerhub devs, giving them a small contract for "priority" support.

Make the Priority Support $25/month or so. Let's say these contractors make $40k a year. Or less, doesn't matter. But to pay them, we need $111 or so a day per dev, $3333/month.

Let's say we see 1000 devs opt in. That's $25,000/month for those devs for pri support. That's roughly 7 additional solid devs. Coming from the community with lots of experience under their belt, especially Q/A and troubleshooting.

Maybe community devs/ contractors is out of the question...then what?

Pay full-timers extra money, bonus pay, or overtime with this influx. They work an extra few hours everyday from home or wherever.

I just can't see why something can't be done here. Just do something. Please attempt something. Maintaining the status quo is obviously not working.

Just a tad bit more effort could go a long way.

Website/Portfolio: http://www.VictorBurgosGames.com

Join me on stream: https://www.twitch.tv/VictorBurgosGames for UE4 Game Dev. If you need help, just stop by and ask!

Currently looking for exciting new opportunities! Available for work!
                                https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ars-experience

Comment

Working...
                                X