Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp decline in Official Responses from Epic throughout the community.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    wow does seems like almost everybody has abandoned ue4
    forums are very quiet

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You know, UE4 sources are open for developers - you could always go and rewrite UI to whatever you fancy. You don't have skills to do it properly? Sorry, but it's impossible to fit all the preferences of everyone at the same time while still developing new way more important features.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Apart from that it has nothing to do with this thread, I want to note that I absolutely disagree with you on that. The UE4 UI is extremely awesome and way, way better than anything that Lumberyard or Unity has. The whole UI being monochromatic dark like in lumberyard looks very unpleasent and its just a very hostile UI that stops people from even trying the software. Software like maya and 3ds max all have this very hostile UI that makes it very hard to learn how to actually use it.

With UE4, you quickly find what you look for, even if you're not too familiar with it. And UE4 just looks way, way better. Lumberyard is really what looks like windows 95.

You want UE4 to go back to the UDK look, which is quite similar to Lumberyard if you think about UDK just with monochromatic grey icons. And UE4 was a huge improvement over UDK, especially regarding the UI.
    Seriously? Are we looking at the same program? If you let a 5 year old draw a UI, then you get the same bloated, clumsy interface. The only thing is missing is a comic sans font for the text.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post

Apart from that it has nothing to do with this thread, I want to note that I absolutely disagree with you on that. The UE4 UI is extremely awesome and way, way better than anything that Lumberyard or Unity has. The whole UI being monochromatic dark like in lumberyard looks very unpleasent and its just a very hostile UI that stops people from even trying the software. Software like maya and 3ds max all have this very hostile UI that makes it very hard to learn how to actually use it.

With UE4, you quickly find what you look for, even if you're not too familiar with it. And UE4 just looks way, way better. Lumberyard is really what looks like windows 95.

You want UE4 to go back to the UDK look, which is quite similar to Lumberyard if you think about UDK just with monochromatic grey icons. And UE4 was a huge improvement over UDK, especially regarding the UI.
    You guys are correct this is off thread I noticed after I wrote it, my apologies. But I still disagree about the UI though .

Leave a comment:

• replied

Originally posted by spacegojira View Post
    Also, being a visual design nerd, LY has such a great looking UI compared to the ugly, ancient interface of UE4! It's such a pain to use the unreal editor, especially on a small screen.
    Originally posted by William K View Post
    What puts you off about the engine at a first glance is the unfortunate interface design, I think it looks like it came from windows 95 with one of those themes installed. Not to mention that it's slow as hell, the thing must be eating 10 percent of your GPU alone.
    [... ]Remove all the colors and bulky icons keep them where it matters, make the interface more monochromatic dark like in Max, Maya, Unity etc.. keep things functional.

Last edited by John Alcatraz; 11-09-2017, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by William K View Post
    What puts you off about the engine at a first glance is the unfortunate interface design, I think it looks like it came from windows 95 with one of those themes installed. Not to mention that it's slow as hell, the thing must be eating 10 percent of your GPU alone.
    This post has nothing to do with the topic. I think complains about the engine itself go into another thread

Leave a comment:

• replied

Seriously if that one thing was more on the minimalist and functional side and less on the flashy side, things may have picked up a little better with some more serious newcomers. To go from a 3d software to that thing was and still is a confusing mess compared to how smooth the transition was to Unity. In unreal I'm still confused at the amount of BP windows i need to have open and which one should be clicked on for a specific task. Just make it unified. All animations happen in X all programming happen in Y and so on. It's really not that much of a rocket science.Remove all the colors and bulky icons keep them where it matters, make the interface more monochromatic dark like in Max, Maya, Unity etc.. keep things functional.

For the record no one is here to 'teach' Epic how to do things, it's just frustrating to see a monster engine let down by such poor initial choices. There's much potential here but the direction is either all over or nonexistent, especially on priorities.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DamirH View Post
    What's REALLY missing is dev support to assist you as you learn all the bits and pieces that go into something as complex as that.
    Especially when it comes to animation and AI (and tying those two together).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To be fair I think some of the doom and gloom here is getting out of hand. The only reason why LY / Unity etc. are looking so good now is because you haven't dug deep enough to find the actual issues (for Unity you won't have to dig deep). People mustn't forget that UE4 is industry-hardened and extremely powerful. The issue here was never the capabilities of the engine, it's not even documentation really. Creating a dynamic day / night cycle properly is something that's beyond the scope of any document (more like a book in its own right), so documenting that isn't happening any time. What's REALLY missing is dev support to assist you as you learn all the bits and pieces that go into something as complex as that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by franktech View Post
    No, do it for the right reasons dude. Because LY etc, has something that UE4 lacks!
    Otherwise, you just risk exchanging one set of unique problems for another, that's all...
    Also, how are the docs / community samples in LY right now atm? Do the R&D asap!
    LY is a threat to Epic long-term, AMZN resources / infrastructure could crush anyone!
    You are right. I was a bit depressed after days trying to get broken shadows fixed, just to see that Epic still hasn't responded to the problem since 4.13..

Lumberyard, being the CryEngine, has the best features when it comes to dynamic lighting & open world, which is really what I need for my future dream "exploration game". The AWS implementation is amazing too.

In my opinion, the docs are actually better than Epics, which are mostly outdated or very limited. They have well explained videos for almost every feature, which is great. And just look at their Youtube channel, they are going crazy with adding new tutorial videos.

They also keep making nice updates, and the build in engines kinda blew me away. For example it took me sooooo long to get basic lighting and a day-night-cycle working in UE4, and it still has a lot of problems due to the engines dynamic lighting problems.
    Now I just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KdwKZtzzo0 honestly it makes me sad how much time I wasted trying to get that simple stuff working in the unreal engine..

Also, being a visual design nerd, LY has such a great looking UI compared to the ugly, ancient interface of UE4! It's such a pain to use the unreal editor, especially on a small screen.

To be fair, I love the UE4 blueprint system, but LY is building something very similiar. See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zNVytjan7w

The only reason why I keep working with Unreal Engine and aren't switching over is that I already put so much work (and learning time) into my UE4 project, which would feel like a waste to abandon now. And because I don't want to spend another year getting to the same level I am in UE4 now.

Oh, that and the hundreds of euros (dollars) I spend on the marketplace. :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have the feeling that Epic is catering more and more to the big businesses & titles that make them a lot of money, and more and more ignore the indie devs and the "free" community. Which is crazy, because without the community, there wouldn't be any way for newcomers to learn how to use the Engine at all.
    There's a sense of injustice here underlying the stuff you wrote above, but for quite different reasons.
    In the early days many Indie devs, some even in this exact thread helped provide valuable feedback.
    That led to useful contributions and making UE4 more stable. Some got credit some didn't, that's life.

Others went on to build up Community-Tools and also provide tutorials that have helped lots of devs.
    What happens next time Epic call on the community. Will it be there for them? Possibly, maybe not!
    Epic probably see 'Gaming-as-a-Service' as freeing them from ever needing 'mega-launches' again....

I will finish my current project in UE4, and then move on to Lumberyard or Unity, to never come back
    No, do it for the right reasons dude. Because LY etc, has something that UE4 lacks!
    Otherwise, you just risk exchanging one set of unique problems for another, that's all...
    Also, how are the docs / community samples in LY right now atm? Do the R&D asap!
    LY is a threat to Epic long-term, AMZN resources / infrastructure could crush anyone!

Anyway forgive the digression Victor, back to the thread and AH...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
    No; but indie devs and small studios are completely dependent on community. If UE4 community shrinks while Lumberyard's or Unity's increase, for indies using UE4 that becomes a major problem overtime.

Epic is going be just fine, I'm much more worried about the community around Unreal Engine and new comers giving up because they receive 0% backup.
    Agreed. The longer I am part of the UE4 community, the more I am annoyed by the lack of community support by Epic, not to mention the marketplace is a disaster where most assets shouldn't ever have gotten through their "quality control".

This is very serious; I've seen all this happen before ( Torque engine's community, CryEngine's, Unity's)...
    Users began to give up those communities and flow away to something else.

4 years ago Unity pretty much had an exodus of users due to very familiar reasons discussed here.

[...]

Meanwhile, Epic took opposite path... Communication is lacking, documentation is a big mess, training is community driven, user feedback is ignored, bug reports are ignored for months, roadmap is gone, engine improvement is entirely guided by Epic's own internal game projects only.

So, where do think all of this is going?
    I've been told by projects leads to evaluate and learn other engines already, such as Lumberyard, "-just in case".
    This. I have the feeling that Epic is catering more and more to the big businesses & titles that make them a lot of money, and more and more ignore the indie devs and the "free" community. Which is crazy, because without the community, there wouldn't be any way for newcomers to learn how to use the Engine at all. Not to mention the Engine wouldn't even be where it is right now.

So, where do think all of this is going?
    I've been told by projects leads to evaluate and learn other engines already, such as Lumberyard, "-just in case".
    I will finish my current project in UE4, and then move on to Lumberyard or Unity, to never come back. It's just too much a waste of time and money trying to find good answers to engine / blueprint problems, "testing" broken marketplace assets or after 6 versions (I started around 4.12) to be still hoping Epic will finally decide to give dynamic lighting / open worlds some love.

Last edited by spacegojira; 11-08-2017, 06:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KVogler View Post
    I have a problem -> AnswerHub is there to get answers -> Post the question an AnswerHub - > Wonder why noone replies -> Being mad at Epic/community.
    rename it to QuestionHub, problem solved

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KVogler View Post
    People post questions although the answer is already there. Just having them in a different format changes nothing.
    Originally posted by motorsep View Post
    sometimes it's hard to find those posts with answers and then there are a lot of questions left unanswered.
    Originally posted by DamirH View Post
    I just went on AH to double check if they have a feature that UDN has... namely, when you type a question it suggests "similar" question based on your keywords.
    Overall, it'd help if AH and Forum-posts were cross-referenced under the same or similar game-genre.
    If you're working on a Homeworld-space-game you're not usually looking for info on Skyrim-sword-anims.
    The problem here is information overload. And not-linking Forum & AH??? What a great opportunity lost!
    This seems reminiscent of the big-data problem.. Knowing the answers are there, but how to get to them.
    Epic even recently killed a simple but powerful Forum-search-feature: Minimum-Number-Of-Replies, wtf?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So, I just went on AH to double check if they have a feature that UDN has... namely, when you type a question it suggests "similar" question based on your keywords. And they do! So why are there still so many repetitive questions? You start typing "How do I rotate a character" and it spits out at least 3-4 proper suggestions. However, for me, it took almost 5 seconds for that auto-suggest list to show up. I wouldn't be surprised if many people didn't know it exists in the first place.

For me, the far bigger problem with AH is the lack of... how do I put this... skilled support? I remember back about a year or two ago many users complained about a certain support technician who often dismissed genuine bug reports as the user doing it wrong. They clearly didn't understand the issues and weren't knowledgeable enough to tackle them. Nowadays, I get the feeling that, if I were to get stuck on something that's NOT a beginner-level question, there's no one browsing AH that can even give me an answer. I personally think we ought to open up a help sub-forum that would act as a hub for support. We could maintain a sticky with frequently asked questions, and I'm pretty sure things would get more visibility that way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X