Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please introduce blogs to this forum.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Please introduce blogs to this forum.

    Hi, this site is fantastic. There are lots of people with plenty to talk about, and I'd like to hear more of it. There are loads of people excited about what they are doing, and I'd like to hear their stories in more detail.

    Unfortunately, threads are not a great way to follow them. Whether they post a "threadblog" in Off-topic or WIP, it is hard to track down their posts when others post their own comments in the thread. With blogs, you can subscribe to them, and get to hear how people are doing, how they feel, what mistakes they have made, in an easy way. You can get a proper context, participate in a discussion with the blogger and others, and give the blogger a platform within a community who are just the sort of people who would want to hear from them. It could also make recruiting people easier (I live in hope ), once a project gets explained in more detail that the Recruiting forum allows.

    As you use vBulletin 4.2.2, adding a blogs section to the site should be a straightforward (that's not the same as simple, or easy ) thing as it is already part of the software, and I hope you do this.

    Please?
    32
    Yes, this is great!
    84.38%
    27
    No, I dont need blogs.
    15.63%
    5
    Last edited by Jezcentral; 08-15-2014, 07:15 AM.
    I'm @londonisunreal, the organiser of the London Unreal Engine Meetup group.

    #3
    Originally posted by ryanjon2040 View Post
    I've added a poll to this thread so Epic knows what we think.
    Cheers, Ryan. I did think about doing it myself, but decided against it, as I'm betting this Feedback for Epic forum doesn't have the heaviest traffic of the site, but now it's up, i can't see the harm. Now to steer some traffic to it.
    I'm @londonisunreal, the organiser of the London Unreal Engine Meetup group.

    Comment


      #4
      Well, I think it would help WiP topics and make them much cleaner and easy to watch&use
      SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
      Level design and prototyping for newbies

      Comment


        #5
        Blogs!

        ~ Jason
        Jason's Simple Systems

        Enemy AI and Patrol: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...troling-damage

        Basic Quest System: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ystem-part-1-1

        Comment


          #6
          Yes, please. I would like to read people's blogs.

          Also vlogs.

          Comment


            #7
            Originally posted by zooby View Post
            Yes, please. I would like to read people's blogs.

            Also vlogs.
            You can embed Youtube and such here, so a blog would cover that.

            Comment


              #8
              Shameless plug we already begun running developer blogs.

              http://www.urbanterror.info/news/blogs/

              Anyone on our team is allowed to discus anything they wish as work in progress.

              The hard part of upping a blog is figuring out the things we think our community would like to see, hear or know where things are as most development stuff we find rather cut and dry.

              Maybe as a hint instead of asking for blogs ask for a blog on a subject your interested in?
              Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
              Custom Map Maker Discord
              https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
              Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

              Comment


                #9
                Originally posted by FrankieV View Post
                Shameless plug we already begun running developer blogs.

                http://www.urbanterror.info/news/blogs/

                Anyone on our team is allowed to discus anything they wish as work in progress.

                The hard part of upping a blog is figuring out the things we think our community would like to see, hear or know where things are as most development stuff we find rather cut and dry.

                Maybe as a hint instead of asking for blogs ask for a blog on a subject your interested in?
                I like to see the concept art/sketches and see if they look like the finished result.

                Also... a timeline of what's coming up next.

                And.... a checklist of things you've completed.

                Basically the same kind of stuff Unreal are doing.

                Comment


                  #10
                  I don't think blogs are the right way to go about it, other websites such as polycount.com, cgtalk.com, conceptart.org and blenderartists.org have an area of their forum called "sketchbooks" and it serves the purpose of what I think you are talking about without being a blog. It's a place where individual developers can update their progress of themself as a whole.
                  Play my games @ itch.io! :: http://dazpetty.itch.io/

                  WWW.DAZPETTY.COM
                  3D Artist, Level-Designer, Blueprints'er.

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Originally posted by Neurocase View Post
                    I don't think blogs are the right way to go about it, other websites such as polycount.com, cgtalk.com, conceptart.org and blenderartists.org have an area of their forum called "sketchbooks" and it serves the purpose of what I think you are talking about without being a blog. It's a place where individual developers can update their progress of themself as a whole.
                    Isn't that a blog?

                    Comment


                      #12
                      I don't doubt that the more professional among you would prefer to have your own blog hosted elsewhere. It is a powerful marketing tool, e.g. if you have a website for your game, you will probably want the blog on that. I guess this request isn't really for you, more for the hobbyists, perhaps?

                      The trouble with all these "elsewhere" blogs, is that you actively have to go after them (and log into that site or software platform). That makes it harder to get a feeling of community. You also tend to follow the dev blogs of games that you like, rather than the people who develop them. It's a different emphasis. It's also hard to browse the web for these things, whereas you could just click on the Blog button, and see (hopefully) a plethora of blogs on your favourite subject, written by people that you may know from the forums.

                      Also, there may be details you would rather leave out of a marketing tool. (The dev of "Super Smashingest Indie Game" might not want to admit to feelings of doubt that his/her game is any good on the official website, but John/Joanne Smith might feel able to vent on an unattached UE4 blog) and get a little reassurance from fellow devs. Not sure how many that would affect, though, I'm sure we all think our games are awesome.
                      Last edited by Jezcentral; 08-18-2014, 06:48 AM.
                      I'm @londonisunreal, the organiser of the London Unreal Engine Meetup group.

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Originally posted by Jezcentral View Post
                        I don't doubt that the more professional among you would prefer to have your own blog hosted elsewhere. It is a powerful marketing tool, e.g. if you have a website for your game, you will probably want the blog on that. I guess this request isn't really for you, more for the hobbyists, perhaps?

                        The trouble with all these "elsewhere" blogs, is that you actively have to go after them (and log into that site or software platform). That makes it harder to get a feeling of community. You also tend to follow the dev blogs of games that you like, rather than the people who develop them. It's a different emphasis. It's also hard to browse the web for these things, whereas you could just click on the Blog button, and see (hopefully) a plethora of blogs on your favourite subject, written by people that you may know from the forums.

                        Also, there may be details you would rather leave out of a marketing tool. (The dev of "Super Smashingest Indie Game" might not want to admit to feelings of doubt that his/her game is any good on the official website, but John/Joanne Smith might feel able to vent on an unattached UE4 blog) and get a little reassurance from fellow devs. Not sure how many that would affect, though, I'm sure we all think our games are awesome.
                        good point!

                        Epic! Please give us yet another epic feature and roll in Blogs!
                        Friendly Dwarf from the Moria

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X