MyProjectCompletelyCorruptBecasuseOf4.16.3Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaxonRah View Post
    Don't take this as me being mean. I was in your shoes not too long ago. It's frustrating, and all you want to do is blame someone else for your own actions. I was there. It's a terrible lesson to learn, but almost everyone learns it at some point.

This to me would suggest a disk error. Since you opened it and saved it the previous night, everything was fine, you leave, you comeback, and it's messed up.

So what kind of maintenance work did you do? Disk maintenance?

Source control exists for this exact reason. You only realize you need sc after you lose a project or a huge portion of a project to an error, be it a disk problem, os problem or actually the engine messing something up.

To say it's purely 4.16.3's fault is a little ridiculous, it could have been any number of reasons. I mean you are the one that failed to back up your project. You even said yourself you didn't back it up for a few months. You were just asking for your project to die and it did.

Any self respecting developer uses sc, hobbyist or professional. Why? They understand that their time is worth far more than either paying for a server or the time and space it takes backing it up locally off dev machine.
    I mean why would anyone waste time developing a project and have the audacity not to back it up unless they were fine with it dying?

When my hard-drive containing organs and arms died and i lost over a years worth of work, was it epic's fault, the engines fault, the powers fault? Hell no, it's my own damned fault for thinking i didn't need source control anymore. Take some damned responsibility for your actions. I mean I did and so should you..
    I am very sorry that my English expression was too weak, maybe you do not understand what I mean. Let me re-describe my situation:
    1. My recent edits project show ErrorMessage:SerializationError: ActionNeeded. My search on the internet are tell me only can find UnrealEngine customer search for solution.
    2. My June project file has 2 backups: first in my other hard disk partition, the second in my mobile hard disk. I confirmed that the June copy can be normally open in 4.16.2, then I started the hard Disk Defrag and backup work(I am sorry that all of our country's IT industry giants provide software that is a virus, such as my usual using one´╝ÜBaiduCloud, it makes the Windows's clipboard no response for copy large files. So the whole maintain and backup process was very painful).
    3. After the maintain, I saw UnrealEngine already have 4.16.3 new upgrade. I just want to have a try, see if it can open the "SerializationError: ActionNeeded" project, so I update it.
    But this proved to be a very wrong decision, because not only the wrong project can not be opened, even the June project which I prove can open in 4.16.2 without any error message, are crashed. The two backup project form different disk are have the same issue, I dont think it a disk problem.
    4. If I say somthing make people feel that I'm blaming UnrealEngine, I am very sorry. But I would like to emphasize that: a. the development of VR are very hard, I encountered countless times of crashs, and inexplicable can solve and can not solve problem, and I have never complained publicly; b. UnrealEngine in this case of crash, Did Not Provide Pure Blueprint user for any emergency solution.
    5. If not talking about whether my project can be saved or not now, I am very sincere advice UnrealEngine can provide Blueprint users a way to solve this kind of problem.
    6. I am very grateful that UnrealEngine invented the blueprint, give such a person like me have the opportunity to develop a game.
    7. What I mean "Disk maintenance", is because BaiduCloud made Windows10 can no copy and paste large files, so I think may be have some disk problem. I just waste a lot time find out where the problem is, and finally just simply delete the BaiduCloud and problem solved, all the disk tests looks fine.
    Last edited by mottH; 08-05-2017, 12:00 AM.

Comment

The left one is the project file a few months ago, you can see the original files in this folder. The right one is after updated 4.16.3, the only left files in the UnrealEngineEditor, all the others are suddenly become an error file, and disappeared in the UnrealEngineEditor. As a blueprint user, I did no see anything in Editor, what can I do? (the error log are on the top attachment)

I just do not want to publish all the details of my project in the forum, so I did not paste too many things like a crash log or other details, but I have had it sent to the support mailbox.
      Last edited by mottH; 08-04-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I am sorry I may be a bit agitated, maybe I just met a situation never encountered before, and can not be resolved. Anyway, I was looking for help here.

Comment

Originally posted by mottH View Post
          I am sorry I may be a bit agitated, maybe I just met a situation never encountered before, and can not be resolved. Anyway, I was looking for help here.
          First try to remove the content (blueprints etc), you were working on last, then if this doesn't let you start the editor, make a new project and copy one folder a time to the new project content folder, and see if you can access the contents.
          LEGENDS of EPICA [Twitter] [Facebook] [YouTube] [Vimeo]

Comment

Originally posted by unit23 View Post
            First try to remove the content (blueprints etc), you were working on last, then if this doesn't let you start the editor, make a new project and copy one folder a time to the new project content folder, and see if you can access the contents.
            Very good advice, thanks for that! I will immediately try it but must download a 4.16.2 at first, because if 4.16.3 will make my backup file error, then it will also make the process of recovery full of error. Thank you very much.

i.e. Just want to chat a little bit, another case. In early July, my HTC VIVE suddenly not work too, the two base stations can not be identified. Then I look for help from steam support, I ask why just because of SteamVR updated version, my VR device just not working right now. And then Steam customer constantly made me provide my System Info every each day, a week later none of the problems resolved. I reinstall my system it still not working. Finally, I use the HTC VIVE website package, there is an old version of SteamVR inside, and problem solved. I have been used that version from then, and I have no guts to update SteamVR from Steam now...I guess this kind of thing may leave some kind of psychological shadow
            Last edited by mottH; 08-05-2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I am very sorry to blame UnrealEngine for the things I have encountered. The facts have proved that I may have suffered a mysterious mass file damage, so far the cause is unknown. Because the hard disk test results are normal, other data on the hard disk can be visit normally, except that my project file massively destroyed ... I am now seeking help from Seagate, I really hope that this is only UnrealEngine's problem now.
              Thank you very much for the help of all the technology big guys in this post.
              Especially rubenst, he spent four hours to help me recover the file, thank you very much very much.

But unfortunately, now I can only check the files one by one, see how many can be saved...
              Last edited by mottH; 08-06-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X