No announcement yet.

Improve 2D performance at least to the level of Unity 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be interesting to compare the galaxy s3 to these results, I have one here so if I get time I will hook it up.

Comment

I installed tappy Chicken on my Galaxy S3 and it works flawlessly, not sure how to run performance profiling as this device is not a tegra device.

Comment

Part of the reason why Tappy Chicken is slow on the lower end devices is due to how the backgrounds are built with a lot of large overlapping areas of transparency.

Rather than panning a tightly fitting mesh for the hills/clouds/etc..., they are done as a solid band that is rendered transparently always, and the panning is actually done in the material. It's not the most performance-optimal way to achieve the effect, but it is easy to make and understand by looking at it.

RE: CPU usage; it's not as high as posted above, I think you are seeing the game busy-waiting on the GPU in that capture (e.g., it's heavily GPU bound on the 4). 4S was something like 4 ms on the game thread, and 4 looks to be 11 ms or so (higher than I expected but still within frame budget).

Cheers,
        Michael Noland

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Noland View Post
          Part of the reason why Tappy Chicken is slow on the lower end devices is due to how the backgrounds are built with a lot of large overlapping areas of transparency.

Rather than panning a tightly fitting mesh for the hills/clouds/etc..., they are done as a solid band that is rendered transparently always, and the panning is actually done in the material. It's not the most performance-optimal way to achieve the effect, but it is easy to make and understand by looking at it.

RE: CPU usage; it's not as high as posted above, I think you are seeing the game busy-waiting on the GPU in that capture (e.g., it's heavily GPU bound on the 4). 4S was something like 4 ms on the game thread, and 4 looks to be 11 ms or so (higher than I expected but still within frame budget).

Cheers,
          Michael Noland
          Your post does explain a lot of the slowness I'm seeing. Is it possible to have an Tappy Chicken that's really optimized for mobile? I remember I saw somewhere that Tappy Chicken was optimized for mobile, but that's clearly not the case, and it makes simple engine comparisons harder.

As soon as I have some time I'm going to try to do a simple 2d scrolling demo using the same techniques I used in Unity, and I'll do CPU/GPU analysis.

Comment

Working...
          X