Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What stops Epic from finishing LPV so it works on PC and consoles ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RENDERING] What stops Epic from finishing LPV so it works on PC and consoles ?

Just saw a community tutorial on LPVs and it looks awesome. Googled about LPVs on consoles and apparently Cryengine's implementation worked on PS3 and XB360. So I don't quite understand why Epic doesn't just get LPV implementation finalized ? (or outsource it for someone else to finalize it and put it into master)

Thanks

I think LPV was abandoned because they want to do something better, though I guess by now they could have gotten LPV to a usable state until they could get a good dynamic GI system in.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      I think LPV was abandoned because they want to do something better, though I guess by now they could have gotten LPV to a usable state until they could get a good dynamic GI system in.
      Tbh LPV as good as it gets if one wants to have good performance and dynamic GI. UE4 games aren't known for hyper realistic looks and IMO LPV provides great GI for non-photorealistic visuals (I mean, Crysis 3 looked amazing and it used LPV as far as I know, and they strove to be as photo realistic as possible). Just sayin'...

Comment

The resolution is poor, the performance isn't great, and it needs stuff like cascades so it can do larger environments, it's not usable in a lot of projects because of that.

Comment

"Finishing" LPV's or any other introduced GI solution definitely got my vote.
          However
          Originally posted by motorsep View Post
          community tutorial on LPVs and it looks awesome.
          I have spent at least 50 hours through multiple attempts with LPV's and the result ALWAYS has been worse then without LPV's - the artifacts and leakage is just awful. Yes, you can "tweak" some areas, aka sweep the dirt under the carpet, but the Issues are so large that once you finished cleaning up one side of the floor, a giant pile of garbage sticks out on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by aWinter View Post
            I have spent at least 50 hours through multiple attempts with LPV's and the result ALWAYS has been worse then without LPV's - the artifacts and leakage is just awful. Yes, you can "tweak" some areas, aka sweep the dirt under the carpet, but the Issues are so large that once you finished cleaning up one side of the floor, a giant pile of garbage sticks out on the other side.
            Try this https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...gation-Volume-

Comment

Most of the time GI is overkill. If you have a static daytime, static GI/Lightmass is fine and you can get pretty results with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raildex_ View Post
                If you have a static daytime, static GI/Lightmass is fine and you can get pretty results with it.
                Having a static daytime is quite boring.
                Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by Raildex_ View Post
                  Most of the time GI is overkill. If you have a static daytime, static GI/Lightmass is fine and you can get pretty results with it.
                  Sure, but I am not asking about LPV for static lighting

Comment

I don't want to put bad critique on that Tutorial, let's just keep it to that: I'm well aware of that thread, it's just scratching the Surface of LPV's and his values for a few screws don't change the result.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                      Epic was never working on LPVs, that was Lionhead. It was abandoned because Lionhead shut down. Epic does want to do a better system at some point, but it seems to be fairly low on the priority list after how long it's been on the backlog. It'll probably be another year or two is my guess before they get serious about it, after they fully exhaust what you can do with baked lighting.

Comment

Just saw a community tutorial on LPVs and it looks awesome. Googled about LPVs on consoles and apparently Cryengine's implementation worked on PS3 and XB360. So I don't quite understand why Epic doesn't just get LPV implementation finalized ? (or outsource it for someone else to finalize it and put it into master)

Thanks
                        Probably the same reason they don't finish DFGI and HFGI resource constraints.

Comment

Looking at the backlog/missing features I'd say their rendering team is understaffed then.
                          ArtStation

Comment

The LPV "technology" is outdated as hell... Crytek dropped it years ago and replaced it by better solutions "voxelization".
                            Sadly we talked here on forum like 100000 times about it.... But it seems like Dynamic GI is not an important feature at all for epic.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.Wenograd View Post
                              Epic was never working on LPVs, that was Lionhead. It was abandoned because Lionhead shut down. Epic does want to do a better system at some point, but it seems to be fairly low on the priority list after how long it's been on the backlog. It'll probably be another year or two is my guess before they get serious about it, after they fully exhaust what you can do with baked lighting.
                              The development of LPV had nothing to do with Lionhead shutting down, that was fairly recent. I'm pretty sure that LPV wasn't just a Lionhead development either, I know they did some work on it but I don't think it was all them.

Comment

Working...
                              X