Spline Decals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duke22 View Post
    Yes but as of version something point something, you can use decal materials on meshes, so do it as a mesh.
    But don't you then run into the same problem as with any static mesh splines that you have to carefully fit it against the landscape if you want to do something like a road?

Comment

Originally posted by duke22 View Post
      Yes but as of version something point something, you can use decal materials on meshes, so do it as a mesh.
      This is why we don't use meshes: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post701303

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
        One idea to help with terrain penetrating spline mesh - would it be possible to clamp the terrain back to the spline after it was place?

Treat it kind of like a specialized sculpt brush...
        Or make the terrain transparent under the spline - e.g. an auto hole
        https://www.casualdistractiongames.com

Comment

Epic ... please >_<

Comment

Bumping the **** outta this. I would very much like this to be implemented. I don't even want this for landscape use really, I just want general use of having spline-based decal projections, for my current project I desperately need it, as there is no suitable workaround. Aligning splines to the world doesn't work for my needs because of the gaps ans intersections. :/
            PORTFOLIO
            BLOG
            LINKEDIN
            TWITTER
            YOUTUBE

I_DO_TRI GAMES DEVBLOG

Comment

4.18 is coming out soon, and there is still nothing on epic's roadmap... i'm DONE with creating roads with bloody meshes, it's making me go nuts, everytime i make them. i have screw around with rotations, tangasts or w/e they r called... and no matter how hard i screw with them they continue to look terrible.. one part looks too lengthy while the other look too short... why do i have deal with this over and over and over and over and over and OVER again?! i have no strength in me left to work on bloody roads... give us spline decals already...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LoRDHitMan View Post
                4.18 is coming out soon, and there is still nothing on epic's roadmap... i'm DONE with creating roads with bloody meshes, it's making me go nuts, everytime i make them. i have screw around with rotations, tangasts or w/e they r called... and no matter how hard i screw with them they continue to look terrible.. one part looks too lengthy while the other look too short... why do i have deal with this over and over and over and over and over and OVER again?! i have no strength in me left to work on bloody roads... give us spline decals already...
                I know right its ******* me off as well, thats why I dont make roads in UE4

Comment

Calm down... their internal projects don't need spline decals.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post

Calm down... their internal projects don't need spline decals.
                    This is the kind of stuff that makes people switch engines

Comment

Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post

This is the kind of stuff that makes people switch engines
                      might go work on a mod for truck simulator, it has a pretty cool road editor... wanted to make a big a map for squad with couple of cities, but i can't build bloody roads properly...

Comment

might go work on a mod for truck simulator, it has a pretty cool road editor... wanted to make a big a map for squad with couple of cities, but i can't build bloody roads properly...
                        I know right, its so sad that UE4 cant do a basic thing like roads

Comment

Just a quick little bumpity-doo to support voice the need of this feature.
                          It's a real pain to deal with road meshes blending with the landscape well, and there really is no excuse to still have to manually adjust the landscape to fit the road at this day and age.
                          Artstation: /artist/ali_y
                          Linkedin: /in/ali-youssef
                          Email: ali.youssef.2896@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ali.Youssef View Post
                            Just a quick little bumpity-doo to support voice the need of this feature.
                            It's a real pain to deal with road meshes blending with the landscape well, and there really is no excuse to still have to manually adjust the landscape to fit the road at this day and age.
                            Exactly this guy knows what’s up

Comment

Doesn't Overwatch's game engine have spline decals? Blizzard used them a lot to build pathways on at least half their maps.. and they look amazing. This feature should really be a priority.
                              Last edited by Cute Waifu Girl; 10-04-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbiso View Post
                                Doesn't Overwatch's game engine have spline decals? Blizzard used them a lot to build pathways on at least half their maps.. and they look amazing. This feature should really be a priority.
                                GTA V (a game from 2013, mind you) also uses decal roads, I'm pretty sure.
                                It's apparent from how the roads "float" a bit above the landscape to avoid z-fighting.
                                Artstation: /artist/ali_y
                                Linkedin: /in/ali-youssef
                                Email: ali.youssef.2896@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X