Spline Decals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Just popping my head in here to express how much of a nightmare I'm having populating my cargo warehouse visualisation scene with unique path and road markings.
    ​​​​​​
    I'm using decals pre-made to specific angles. Shame Its taken me a week to build up a destructive mass of materials. I could have completed this whole task in an hour with bendy spline decals...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Still no official response on this topic? Its a highly requested feature that has more uses than just roads.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm sad, we can do anything with Unreal, but when I try to make splines decals, I'm coming here !!!
    I can not believe that this useful thing does not exist in Unreal Engine?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Bumpity Bump Bump Bumperdoo

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I want to bump this Thread as well. At the moment we're looking for certain solutions like spline-decals. This is one of the little features that would speed up the daily routines in UE4, especially for environment based tasks.

Aside all of that "set something free, 12 mill assets, etc", i would love to see Epic creating some sort of intern task-force that is building "plugins" for their own engine, maybe based on quarterly voted feature requests and then selling these on the marketplace. I don't see a problem paying, lets say ~$30 for an official supported spline-decal system.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just a bump. There's been plenty of good discussion here to receive an updated official response.

Spline decals have been used in some great games in the past, including OW, which is one of the most optimized games for how good it look. Spline decals would help push stylized art so much further in unreal
    Last edited by Cute Waifu Girl; 01-14-2018, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Chosker View Post
    UE4 does not have mesh decals to use that with, that's the issue with the proposed technique
    So we can do squat without the help from Epic?!​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UE4 does not have mesh decals to use that with, that's the issue with the proposed technique

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I guess with some engine modifications one would be able to access the deferred decals' buffer to composite it into the main scene with some rough Z-testing... but I'm sure unreal is already doing that
    Buuuut are they doing it for mesh decals too?!
    So there is no way?! please man don't bash my hopes and dreams!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not sure that would work in the context of unreal, specially given how deferred decals work
    first of all, unreal doesn't have a way to just render stuff into a separate rendertarget. there's a few ways (draw a material to render to texture, use a scenecapture actor, use customdepth) but AFAIK none allow you to render stuff from the same view as the main camera with the full featureset (i.e. customdepth only renders depth. I guess the closest is to make a scenecapture2d that follows the main camera each frame and trick it to render things that are hidden on the main view)
    secondly, decals can't be just told to render into a separate rendertarget. if we'd make the scenecapture2d that follows the camera we still wouldn't be able to tell it to just render decals and nothing else. UE4's deferred decals are already on a separate pass by themselves, so they aren't set up in a way that you can render them all without the underlying geometry
    I guess with some engine modifications one would be able to access the deferred decals' buffer to composite it into the main scene with some rough Z-testing... but I'm sure unreal is already doing that

Leave a comment:

• replied

how would you use that to project into a landscape though? without using a landscape spline to flatten the landscape, that is. just respecting the topology.

also mesh decals cause some bad artifacts at great view distances, since based on distance they push themselves towards the camera to avoid z-fighting. yes I've seen the code, it's MeshDecals.usf line 104 (on UE4 4.15), which is this:

this results in mesh decals ending up wrongly being drawn on top of more and more stuff, the more you zoom out

Guys guys! I think i found something for Z fighting! Some genius (ErnieDingo) did something like this in unity and he did some explanation in the link.
    I'm gonna quote his reply here:

"Having no background in the rendering pipeline for Unreal, I cant comment. But the technique you might be able to adapt.

Basically, you need to render your decals into a separate rendertarget, using the Z from the target scene (im assuming you are using deferred here) to do rough z testing. Basically, severe bias on the decal Z test (to avoid any Z fighting). What you really are trying to do is exclude decals that are genuinely obscured by geometry. This pass is all about approximation. when rendering the decals you can add extra stuff like masks etc, baking more information into the rendertarget as you like.

What this then gives you is a view of all visible decals in the scene. Now, on the final render pass, you need to sample from this rendertarget (shader resource of course), blending in the decal onto the terrain. What this does is, Z fighting is completely avoided at any distance.

Let me know if this helps. I've made a few posts on this, including a step by step process I went through to get to my result. You will need to trawl through late to mid 2016 to find it. I couldnt.

This one was also where I posted"

Can someone more able bodied and suited for implementing this feature follow up on this and have talk with this ErnieDingo dude?! He might be the holder of holy grail here but i wouldn't know cause i'm not a programmer. I'm just a simpleton level designer.

(Click on blue G icon to use the link!)

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place since i'm new to the forums. I'm creating a simple "City creator" right now, and, obviously, i need to cre...
    Last edited by roughdominator; 12-22-2017, 05:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    O lord almighty i Need/Love/Want this feature. O dear santa what i want for Christmas is spline decal plz plz plz. Even if it clogs up a layer in my landscape material or how ever else it would be possible to implement. Thee wise engineers of the magical Unreal Engine please heed our requests plz plz plz.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Still its not in UE4... you can build whole levels faster and better than a simple road.
    Tbh... my whole game project is almost coming to a standstill, because there is no good way of placing roads.. even painting them needs you to create a forest of nodes..
    What level designer wants to place nodes?.. mine can't and does not want to, because he is not a programmer.. he is a level designer and needs the tools to have his freedom to work completly on his own without being dependent on other people who need to create the material so he can work. lol

Very bad workflow.. never seen anything like it.
    Last edited by WorldCreator; 11-14-2017, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by wobbiso View Post
    Doesn't Overwatch's game engine have spline decals? Blizzard used them a lot to build pathways on at least half their maps.. and they look amazing. This feature should really be a priority.
    GTA V (a game from 2013, mind you) also uses decal roads, I'm pretty sure.
    It's apparent from how the roads "float" a bit above the landscape to avoid z-fighting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Doesn't Overwatch's game engine have spline decals? Blizzard used them a lot to build pathways on at least half their maps.. and they look amazing. This feature should really be a priority.
    Last edited by Cute Waifu Girl; 10-04-2017, 06:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X