No announcement yet.

Spline Decals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After getting +100 votes it just disappears. Interesting.

Comment

I was just about to vote for this, need it so bad! Where did it go?
      Environment Artist | Portfolio | Artstation | Photogrammetry Rock Textures

Comment

Originally posted by Sebvhe View Post
        I was just about to vote for this, need it so bad! Where did it go?
        https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post734556

All feature requests have been made no longer visible on the Public Issues tracker site. Chance explains more a little more in this post why this decision was made.

I've also edited this original thread to add the "Feature Request" prefix.
        Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
        UE4 Documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Hobson View Post

All feature requests have been made no longer visible on the Public Issues tracker site. Chance explains more a little more in this post why this decision was made.

I'm not working at Epic (obviously), but if I was, I'd certainly have done something about this whole situation.

1. First you guys create a feedback forum and encourage people to post requests in there.
          2. Then you create a public Issue Tracker to let people track their requested features.
          3. Later you ask for votes or it'll stay backlogged.
          4. Ticket becomes the second most voted on the list (~110 votes).
          "Someone's table is flipped"
          4. The votes you asked for go unseen, ticket remains backlogged.
          3. The public Issue Tracker is updated to not allow people to keep track of their requested features, basically put community's needs out of the equation.
          2. After ~7 months since starting the thread there are still 0 posts from Epic engineers on such highly demanded feature request.
          1. We're basically asked to go do thread bumping for an unknown number of other months hoping Epic would pick up the conversation.

Is that how feature requests are intended to work?
          I wish you all luck
          Last edited by Maximum-Dev; 07-12-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

while I can understand the reasoning to separate issues from feature requests, this move makes feature requests lose all visibility. Feature requests get removed from the public tracker but have no counter-move to have tracking anywhere else.

from Chance's posts:
            Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
            We encourage you to post new feature requests to the Feedback For Epic forum using the [FEATURE REQUEST] prefix so the community and development teams can get better visibility on these conversations.
            Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
            Feature requests are different and often require much more detailed conversation, so we're leaning on the Feedback for Epic forum as a place for the development community to present and express interest in new‚Äč Unreal Engine features.
            it's a common notion that your presence on these forums is too limited. encouraging us to post and keep track of requests where the staff responses are scarce at best and limited to "we're listening", and on top of that being completely in the dark about the status of said feature requests, will only to cause more frustration and even more bumping of threads (such as this one).

I'm sorry but with no counter-move to keep track of feature requests I can only perceive this move as an intentional means to have less of a connection with the community, having less things "to answer for", and in the end making us buggger off about feature requests
            Follow me on Twitter!
            Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
            Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Sooo, does this mean that Epic have noticed this thread and is currently working/planning on working on implementing a proper road tool, similar to CryEngine's or?... Cause it's much easier to create ~10 textures than creating HUNDREDS of meshes to make realistically looking roads like in Crysis 1&2(IMO roads in those games were very easy to make and it didn't take a lot of time to create them)

edit: Can we also have some sort of ETA for this feature, if u guys r actually working on this? like 3 months, 6 months? a year? cause if it's going to take u a year, i'm gonna continue working on my meshes, but if it will take only ~3 months, then i'll wait for it to come out.
              Last edited by LoRDHitMan; 07-12-2017, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LoRDHitMan View Post
                edit: Can we also have some sort of ETA for this feature, if u guys r actually working on this? like 3 months, 6 months? a year? cause if it's going to take u a year, i'm gonna continue working on my meshes, but if it will take only ~3 months, then i'll wait for it to come out.
                I think it's safe to assume it's not going to come out in ~3 months, otherwise it would be in the roadmap already
                Follow me on Twitter!
                Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Originally posted by chosker View Post
                  i think it's safe to assume it's not going to come out in ~3 months, otherwise it would be in the roadmap already
                  4.18 hype!!!

Comment

I'd like normal decals to work properly first; at the moment they project onto all sorts of wrong surfaces, and said projection can be quite awkward with some nasty stretching.

Comment

Originally posted by LoRDHitMan View Post
                      Sooo, does this mean that Epic have noticed this thread and is currently working/planning on working on implementing a proper road tool, similar to CryEngine's or?... Cause it's much easier to create ~10 textures than creating HUNDREDS of meshes to make realistically looking roads like in Crysis 1&2(IMO roads in those games were very easy to make and it didn't take a lot of time to create them)

This is your best indicator of the features being worked on for a release: https://trello.com/b/TTAVI7Ny/ue4-roadmap

Also, I wouldn't make any assumptions that a feature is being worked on simply because the Feature Requests were pulled from public visibility. This feature was originally marked as a minor priority and keep in mind that votes were only meant as a way to show interest in a bug or feature but not to guarantee that a feature would be developed by Epic. This was never indicated to be the case with the voting system either.
                      Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
                      UE4 Documentation

Comment

Pretty disappointed by this. UE4 is great, but it has a lot of core issues and feature gaps that would improve the tools greatly. What was wrong with the issue tracker? It gave us the ability to request issues and visibly track their progress. I can understand building on and improving it, but removing the tracker entirely is taking 10 steps back. Was really looking forward to potentially having this feature, now it has zero visibility. What a shame :/
                        Last edited by Sickmoocow; 07-12-2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I think to everyone that sounds like spline decals, this, and several other issues are exactly what has to be worked on because as Alex said, this ended up having both community interest and large audience need.
                          Last edited by Maximum-Dev; 07-14-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Implementing this yourself, even with BP isn't that hard.
                            George Rolfe.
                            Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by duke22 View Post
                              Implementing this yourself, even with BP isn't that hard.
                              I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do. You can't do shearing transformations for decals, can you? If you make a curve out of linked decals, you'd need to transform the inner and outer edges of the circle so that the ends link up, without that the edges would either overlap on the inner side or be spread apart on the outer side.

Comment

Yes but as of version something point something, you can use decal materials on meshes, so do it as a mesh.
                                George Rolfe.
                                Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

Comment

Working...
                                X