Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hi all,

I'm currently working on a city wide project, and I can't help but bump this topic once again. I've always wondered how people went about creating roads where different traffic signs are happening at once, like in a junction, and it seems like a spline decal would work like a charm. After reading all of the comments in this thread, and seeing as other engines are already implementing it, it's a shame that Unreal isn't doing something similar. Can we get any official response as to when we can expect this to happen, if at all?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Bumping for Epic.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ah yeah right, how come I didn't think of that. I was experimenting a bit, with flow maps, and modifying the texture through UV just as test. It might be possible by generating gradients in material, and then through some magic distorting them to correct angle of the road in-engine. Then using a mask to remove the outer messed up parts. Though it's honestly really hacky and 90 degree angles wouldn't probably work.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Pavelioso View Post
    Hi, I was searching for this as well. I know that this thread is quite old, but I got done what I needed like this (attached).
    not bad for your purposes, but adding a rectangular decal every n meters won't work for a continuous spline-mesh, i.e. a road
    also drawcalls.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I was searching for this as well. I know that this thread is quite old, but I got done what I needed like this (attached).

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    +1

Been checking up on spline decal functionality even prior to the request & I'm surprised to see nothing's come of it still. Similarly for the support/merging of texture arrays... features that can be essential, yet seem eternally brushed off to the side

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi there,
    +1 for this awesome feature! I just read the 10 pages and it's sadly to see after all these months there is still no serious comments from Epic on this....
    I may be wrong but among all the benefits describes previously in this thread I think there is also a performance gain using projected textures against more geometries...
    Hope one day it will come, any ETA on it ?

ps: thanks to Maximum dev to support this request

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am about die,... what would save my life right now is a spline decal

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Daedalus51 View Post
    Oh my god, I just stumbled over this thread and I admit this is ****ing horrible!

EPIC, get your **** together! I can't believe that paying customers get treated like that! And yes, royalties is payment for you too EPIC!

Tim Hobson do you even read what people say before replying?? Sorry but your answers are borderline ignoring everything people are saying and it makes you sound like a bad politician trying to dodge peoples heat! Just be ****ing honest with us and say something that actually is respectful to our complaints and makes sense!

Also, let me tell you something: there is a difference between fancy shmency **** and general Editor functionality. I think as a user of your engine you can expect things like: the landscape system, particle rendering, PHYSICAL LIGHT VALUES, projecting splines to landscape etc. to just be there and work. Thats basic functionality!

Dinstance field lighting? Fancy stuff of very limited use for very specific games (yeah right, Epic only implements features that can be used across all games)

FFT bloom instead of a lens Flare Editor? Who decides these priorities? This is honestly speaking nuts and as you can read, I am very angry (but thats also because of the physical lights dilemma)

Get out there! Talk to people! Don't hide their request and make them hard to track! Be open and honest with the community that also pays part of YOUR salary!

Jeeez...why do I even have to write this ****?!?!

PS: How would the Environment Artists working on Fortnite like such a feature? Just a thought :P

PPS: Sorry for writing in such an agitated way, full of words the forum doesn't like to display^^ I really needed to vent a bit and honestly, I still think such behavior is a no go and makes me quite frustrated!
    Please send this up the chain to Tim Hobson please and thank you Kalvothe

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SomeDude12 View Post

I have disabled rotation cause i got some bad results but it's doable. You just need to connect the proper nodes and do some math. You can rotate the Deacal per splinePoint. I simply didn't need the rotation, that's why i didn't bother.
    My bad you said Direction.... Still i guess you could affect rotation based on tangents of each point? Dunno for sure....
    Doable or not, that is a terrible shamanism, as applicable to the purpose discussed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh my god, I just stumbled over this thread and I admit this is ****ing horrible!

EPIC, get your **** together! I can't believe that paying customers get treated like that! And yes, royalties is payment for you too EPIC!

Tim Hobson do you even read what people say before replying?? Sorry but your answers are borderline ignoring everything people are saying and it makes you sound like a bad politician trying to dodge peoples heat! Just be ****ing honest with us and say something that actually is respectful to our complaints and makes sense!

Also, let me tell you something: there is a difference between fancy shmency **** and general Editor functionality. I think as a user of your engine you can expect things like: the landscape system, particle rendering, PHYSICAL LIGHT VALUES, projecting splines to landscape etc. to just be there and work. Thats basic functionality!

Dinstance field lighting? Fancy stuff of very limited use for very specific games (yeah right, Epic only implements features that can be used across all games)

FFT bloom instead of a lens Flare Editor? Who decides these priorities? This is honestly speaking nuts and as you can read, I am very angry (but thats also because of the physical lights dilemma)

Get out there! Talk to people! Don't hide their request and make them hard to track! Be open and honest with the community that also pays part of YOUR salary!

Jeeez...why do I even have to write this ****?!?!

PS: How would the Environment Artists working on Fortnite like such a feature? Just a thought :P

PPS: Sorry for writing in such an agitated way, full of words the forum doesn't like to display^^ I really needed to vent a bit and honestly, I still think such behavior is a no go and makes me quite frustrated!
    Last edited by Daedalus51; 06-18-2018, 08:47 AM. Reason: apology for angry language

Leave a comment:

• replied

I have disabled rotation cause i got some bad results but it's doable. You just need to connect the proper nodes and do some math. You can rotate the Deacal per splinePoint. I simply didn't need the rotation, that's why i didn't bother.
    My bad you said Direction.... Still i guess you could affect rotation based on tangents of each point? Dunno for sure....
    My point is it has to be continuous, because road textures do tile but dropping decals along a path wouldn't do that. Still, I'm kinda noob at BP in general so I'm looking to hear others opinions on this.
    Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post

Texture doesn't seem to be following the spline direction. Seems like it's rather spawning individual decals along the path which is something that wouldn't work with road textures that have continuous details (i.e tire tracks).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't know if i understood the question correctly but If this is something that you want to achieve then here is the actor i created and the source that jump started me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJyWSzfwEk8 the video i saw when i was looking into splines. I needed to be able to create a path but not with mesh. Hope this helps.
    P.S Rotate the spline actor -90 at Y and assign your decal. The actor is a bit of a patch work but it works.
    Texture doesn't seem to be following the spline direction. Seems like it's rather spawning individual decals along the path which is something that wouldn't work with road textures that have continuous details (i.e tire tracks).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't know if i understood the question correctly but If this is something that you want to achieve then here is the actor i created and the source that jump started me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJyWSzfwEk8 the video i saw when i was looking into splines. I needed to be able to create a path but not with mesh. Hope this helps.
    P.S Rotate the spline actor -90 at Y and assign your decal. The actor is a bit of a patch work but it works.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SomeDude12; 06-17-2018, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X