Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by jonimake View Post
    Virtual Texturing branch was just merged into dev-rendering, there's some stuff about rendering landscape splines into a landscape virtual texture there: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...c68e2281eb9423

It seems that this issue might be resolved sooner rather than later.
    I see code about virtual texturing used with landscape spline but nothing about decals. Virtual texturing is texture array and a VRAM saving feature which is cool but it's not about texture projection on a surface.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Whow why is this been ignored by epic, i didnt even know you can vote for stuff like this. Why would the vote be removed anyone know, it would be nice to know ? We are working on open world map with nice towns and locations, it would make so big difference if we have this option and not go the trouble to hide seems. Maybe we should make a new request ? I know that this can escalate quite fast if others know about it, and there so much more devs working on open world games these days.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jonimake View Post
    Virtual Texturing branch was just merged into dev-rendering, there's some stuff about rendering landscape splines into a landscape virtual texture there: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...c68e2281eb9423

I hope this is the case

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I do not understand why this feature still does not exist in UE4. Please.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is there any way to make a spline decal on the ground ?

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Chosker View Post
    I supposed Mordhau could've used some spline decal technology

This looks so bad. It guess its a static mesh on a spline

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I supposed Mordhau could've used some spline decal technology

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So in 2019 we still can't make roads like this in unreal engine?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why was the issue deleted? I want spline decals.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I was reading this thread 2 years ago when I wanted to use spline decals for roads, back then I ended doing everything by hand. Now I want to build some new environments with lots more roads and I came back here thinking that something would surly have been done about spline decals by now... boy was I wrong.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Vertex Soup View Post
    Shameless bump after rereading whole thread again (maybe like 5th time). I'm working on large scale city scene and roads are major issue. I went though all posts in forums that touch on road topic and none of solutions works good enough to be usable on larger scale without crazy amount of manual labor that totally kills any creative soul and makes them hate their job. I'm expecting Epic to implement better decal handling with upcoming megatexture feature as that would make use of decals on larger scale nearly free. I would welcome tech similar to FarCry decal pipeline as it is just logical way of doing things.
    I hope that one day in not that distant feature we can have this ISSUE solved and Unreal Engine will again become tool that brings you smile and joy not frustration and insanity doing trivial daily game dev tasks.

And cheers to everyone on staff who even bother to read my comment, that's a good start!
    not shameless at all ! (y)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Shameless bump after rereading whole thread again (maybe like 5th time). I'm working on large scale city scene and roads are major issue. I went though all posts in forums that touch on road topic and none of solutions works good enough to be usable on larger scale without crazy amount of manual labor that totally kills any creative soul and makes them hate their job. I'm expecting Epic to implement better decal handling with upcoming megatexture feature as that would make use of decals on larger scale nearly free. I would welcome tech similar to FarCry decal pipeline as it is just logical way of doing things.
    I hope that one day in not that distant feature we can have this ISSUE solved and Unreal Engine will again become tool that brings you smile and joy not frustration and insanity doing trivial daily game dev tasks.

And cheers to everyone on staff who even bother to read my comment, that's a good start!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I didnt see this method mentioned, so maybe ill chime in. you could potentially use mesh spline and use materials to project down onto the below surface similar to a decal. Ryan Bruck's even made a node from this, as mentioned in his bullet train demo talk.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Spline decals would be super helpful for so many developers. I've been working on two separate games and I've needed this but I haven't had the time or talent to do it myself. I don't even know where to start on something like that. It would be a big boost to everyone else that is the same situation. It's one of those features that not that many people would think about and ask for, but if presented would become wildly popular and used all over the place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X