Spline Decals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haoris View Post
    Ok so after some tests, it looks like the quality of the virtual texture is relative to the size of the RuntimeVirtualTextureVolume which make this unusable on landscape for almost every project, even while setting the size of the virtual texture in the RVT asset to 8 (max value), unless you work on a landscape smaller than a RuntimeVirtualTextureVolume with scale of 10000*10000 max.
    While using it on a 8kmĀ² lanscape it goes from this : Click image for larger version Name:	HighresScreenshot00000.jpg Views:	1 Size:	548.8 KB ID:	1661769
    To this :
    Click image for larger version Name:	HighresScreenshot00002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	278.9 KB ID:	1661770
    In fact, to get the same quality than in the first screenshot, I have to set the scale of the RuntimeVirtualTextureVolume to 5000*5000 which is not really usable
    Got the exact same issue. Any workaround ?

Comment

I think with a bit of elbow grease you might be able to make what you all are looking for. I haven't tested this its a bit of theory, but I'm fairly certain it would work as I think you all might be expecting. If you made a mesh that was complete alpha, with material layering and tiling, then made construction Blueprint for creating splines on the mesh that has the layered shader applied. Or maybe you could literally use decals in blueprint connected to a spline construction script. Only reason I thought to use alpha on geo is so that when you bend the spline the decal texture might bend aswell for like curved lines If your decal texture was linear. Sorry if this isnt helpful, but maybe I might spark some ideas for you all. Also if you getting z fighting from the landscape spline tool maybe theres a cull landscape volume you could use in conjunction with your roads. GL

Comment

It's been nearly 3 years since the original post and still nothing from Epic, just unbelievable. I don't understand why a rep can't post some kind of reply saying this is indeed on their agenda or just put us out of our misery and say it's not possible. Hard to believe this tool request is continually ignored given all the clear benefits listed throughout the 15 pages of this thread. Spline projected road decals have been available in other engines such as Torqued3D and Cryengine for many, many years. Again, I don't understand Epic's reluctance to add such an efficient tool into their pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Uvhausen View Post
          It's been nearly 3 years since the original post and still nothing from Epic, just unbelievable. I don't understand why a rep can't post some kind of reply saying this is indeed on their agenda or just put us out of our misery and say it's not possible. Hard to believe this tool request is continually ignored given all the clear benefits listed throughout the 15 pages of this thread. Spline projected road decals have been available in other engines such as Torqued3D and Cryengine for many, many years. Again, I don't understand Epic's reluctance to add such an efficient tool into their pipeline.
          Did you fail to read the latest posts about it? With runtime VT tech you can render splines into a texture and use that. Though currently it's a bit resolution limited but that is apparently being worked on.

Comment

Thank you for the reference. TBH I had put a long time project on hold due to the lack of this tool so the VT tech is great to see. Hope they continue to improve it.

Comment

No news about this? Feels bad by using 3D meshes for a road in a super lowpoly landscape that looks real bad as don't blend or mix with it in 2020.
              Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
              Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Originally posted by Hevedy View Post
                No news about this? Feels bad by using 3D meshes for a road in a super lowpoly landscape that looks real bad as don't blend or mix with it in 2020.
                Tis already in since 4.23.

Comment

Any news or info this feature ? Please come 4.25

Comment

So i've tried RVT for my landscape and roads and it works great, it it requires some setup though.
                    However there's a catch. RVT is camera independent and that means that it's not possible to use distance based blending. Unfortunately it's a deal breaker for me, also when RVT is mainly considered for landscapes. So i consider this topic still valid and would love to see dedicated spline decals.

EDIT:
                    I think I made it work with my original landscape material with all distance based functions.

I don't write my landscape material to virtual texture but instead I configured it to just sample from virtual texture. Only the roads (landscape splines with plane mesh) write to this virtual texture
                    Then I used Blend Material Attributes node to blend between landscape materual and virtual texture.
                    I used roughness with contrast as an alpha.

EDIT2: The alpha setup for blend node is not working as expected, need to find a better way to mask the roads

Click image for larger version  Name:	roads.PNG Views:	0 Size:	178.3 KB ID:	1729362
                    Last edited by Z0DI4C.2.0; 03-05-2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Is there a tutorial on how to implement the RVT as a spline decal? I'm having trouble finding some documentation that explains how to use it in place of a decals projected onto landscape, and as a spline at that.

Comment

Originally posted by NullSignature View Post
                        Is there a tutorial on how to implement the RVT as a spline decal? I'm having trouble finding some documentation that explains how to use it in place of a decals projected onto landscape, and as a spline at that.
                        There is no need for tutorial or any kind of such specific documentation, for doing it is as simple as not rendering splinemeshes into main pass, but rendering them in RVT pass.

Comment

Working...
                        X