Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spline Decals?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post

    Texture doesn't seem to be following the spline direction. Seems like it's rather spawning individual decals along the path which is something that wouldn't work with road textures that have continuous details (i.e tire tracks).
    I have disabled rotation cause i got some bad results but it's doable. You just need to connect the proper nodes and do some math. You can rotate the Deacal per splinePoint. I simply didn't need the rotation, that's why i didn't bother.
    My bad you said Direction.... Still i guess you could affect rotation based on tangents of each point? Dunno for sure....

    Comment


      Originally posted by SomeDude12 View Post

      I have disabled rotation cause i got some bad results but it's doable. You just need to connect the proper nodes and do some math. You can rotate the Deacal per splinePoint. I simply didn't need the rotation, that's why i didn't bother.
      My bad you said Direction.... Still i guess you could affect rotation based on tangents of each point? Dunno for sure....
      My point is it has to be continuous, because road textures do tile but dropping decals along a path wouldn't do that. Still, I'm kinda noob at BP in general so I'm looking to hear others opinions on this.
      Thanks for sharing.

      Comment


        Oh my god, I just stumbled over this thread and I admit this is ****ing horrible!

        EPIC, get your **** together! I can't believe that paying customers get treated like that! And yes, royalties is payment for you too EPIC!

        Tim Hobson do you even read what people say before replying?? Sorry but your answers are borderline ignoring everything people are saying and it makes you sound like a bad politician trying to dodge peoples heat! Just be ****ing honest with us and say something that actually is respectful to our complaints and makes sense!

        Also, let me tell you something: there is a difference between fancy shmency **** and general Editor functionality. I think as a user of your engine you can expect things like: the landscape system, particle rendering, PHYSICAL LIGHT VALUES, projecting splines to landscape etc. to just be there and work. Thats basic functionality!

        Dinstance field lighting? Fancy stuff of very limited use for very specific games (yeah right, Epic only implements features that can be used across all games)

        FFT bloom instead of a lens Flare Editor? Who decides these priorities? This is honestly speaking nuts and as you can read, I am very angry (but thats also because of the physical lights dilemma)

        Get out there! Talk to people! Don't hide their request and make them hard to track! Be open and honest with the community that also pays part of YOUR salary!

        Jeeez...why do I even have to write this ****?!?!



        PS: How would the Environment Artists working on Fortnite like such a feature? Just a thought :P

        PPS: Sorry for writing in such an agitated way, full of words the forum doesn't like to display^^ I really needed to vent a bit and honestly, I still think such behavior is a no go and makes me quite frustrated!
        Last edited by Daedalus51; 06-18-2018, 08:47 AM. Reason: apology for angry language
        Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
        https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

        Comment


          Originally posted by SomeDude12 View Post

          I have disabled rotation cause i got some bad results but it's doable. You just need to connect the proper nodes and do some math. You can rotate the Deacal per splinePoint. I simply didn't need the rotation, that's why i didn't bother.
          My bad you said Direction.... Still i guess you could affect rotation based on tangents of each point? Dunno for sure....
          Doable or not, that is a terrible shamanism, as applicable to the purpose discussed.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Daedalus51 View Post
            Oh my god, I just stumbled over this thread and I admit this is ****ing horrible!

            EPIC, get your **** together! I can't believe that paying customers get treated like that! And yes, royalties is payment for you too EPIC!

            Tim Hobson do you even read what people say before replying?? Sorry but your answers are borderline ignoring everything people are saying and it makes you sound like a bad politician trying to dodge peoples heat! Just be ****ing honest with us and say something that actually is respectful to our complaints and makes sense!

            Also, let me tell you something: there is a difference between fancy shmency **** and general Editor functionality. I think as a user of your engine you can expect things like: the landscape system, particle rendering, PHYSICAL LIGHT VALUES, projecting splines to landscape etc. to just be there and work. Thats basic functionality!

            Dinstance field lighting? Fancy stuff of very limited use for very specific games (yeah right, Epic only implements features that can be used across all games)

            FFT bloom instead of a lens Flare Editor? Who decides these priorities? This is honestly speaking nuts and as you can read, I am very angry (but thats also because of the physical lights dilemma)

            Get out there! Talk to people! Don't hide their request and make them hard to track! Be open and honest with the community that also pays part of YOUR salary!

            Jeeez...why do I even have to write this ****?!?!



            PS: How would the Environment Artists working on Fortnite like such a feature? Just a thought :P

            PPS: Sorry for writing in such an agitated way, full of words the forum doesn't like to display^^ I really needed to vent a bit and honestly, I still think such behavior is a no go and makes me quite frustrated!
            Please send this up the chain to Tim Hobson please and thank you Kalvothe

            Comment


              I am about die,... what would save my life right now is a spline decal

              Unreal Marketplace Seller Page

              Comment


                Hi there,
                +1 for this awesome feature! I just read the 10 pages and it's sadly to see after all these months there is still no serious comments from Epic on this....
                I may be wrong but among all the benefits describes previously in this thread I think there is also a performance gain using projected textures against more geometries...
                Hope one day it will come, any ETA on it ?

                ps: thanks to Maximum dev to support this request

                Comment


                  +1

                  Been checking up on spline decal functionality even prior to the request & I'm surprised to see nothing's come of it still. Similarly for the support/merging of texture arrays... features that can be essential, yet seem eternally brushed off to the side

                  Comment


                    Hi, I was searching for this as well. I know that this thread is quite old, but I got done what I needed like this (attached).

                    Attached Files
                    Working on a game, guys. For some time now.
                    http://lostexpeditionsgame.com/

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Pavelioso View Post
                      Hi, I was searching for this as well. I know that this thread is quite old, but I got done what I needed like this (attached).
                      not bad for your purposes, but adding a rectangular decal every n meters won't work for a continuous spline-mesh, i.e. a road
                      also drawcalls.
                      Follow me on Twitter!
                      Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                      Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

                      Comment


                        Ah yeah right, how come I didn't think of that. I was experimenting a bit, with flow maps, and modifying the texture through UV just as test. It might be possible by generating gradients in material, and then through some magic distorting them to correct angle of the road in-engine. Then using a mask to remove the outer messed up parts. Though it's honestly really hacky and 90 degree angles wouldn't probably work.
                        Attached Files
                        Working on a game, guys. For some time now.
                        http://lostexpeditionsgame.com/

                        Comment


                          Bumping for Epic.

                          Comment


                            Hi all,

                            I'm currently working on a city wide project, and I can't help but bump this topic once again. I've always wondered how people went about creating roads where different traffic signs are happening at once, like in a junction, and it seems like a spline decal would work like a charm. After reading all of the comments in this thread, and seeing as other engines are already implementing it, it's a shame that Unreal isn't doing something similar. Can we get any official response as to when we can expect this to happen, if at all?

                            Comment


                              Bumping this thread again. I just read through the entire 11 page discussion and there's no solution that works for my use case: Dirt-path through some sandy dunes.

                              Comment


                                This is the latest version of the tool i created. If it helps any1. You can use it with multiple St Meshes and/or decals. You may have to move the spline points to get the result you need. Try it. I helps you good. It doesn't
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X