Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by presto423 View Post
    Shadow Resolution Scale, in the directional light, is capable of smoothing jagged shadow edges. But it can make other aspects of shadows difficult to adapt / modify properly...
    This is sadly not a fix, as we have tried already over two years ago.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Shadow Resolution Scale, in the directional light, is capable of smoothing jagged shadow edges. But it can make other aspects of shadows difficult to adapt / modify properly...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I know its from a different engine, but this solutions I think are worht a try:

https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tuto...ional-shadows/

Would anyone that messed up with the render before give me some guidelines or tips about how to do it?
    Last edited by II_ADN_II; 07-11-2020, 10:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PieBaron View Post
    Hello, I see this thread was started in 2015, is there still no good solution to cascade shadow artefacts? I am getting this in my scene, shadow bias moves the shadow far from the point of surface contact, and any subtle angles get filled with lines and jagged shadows https://www.dropbox.com/s/sitk16mkx7...51-24.mp4?dl=0
    I would play with the slope bias, bias and the cascade amount of the directional.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PieBaron View Post
    Hello, I see this thread was started in 2015, is there still no good solution to cascade shadow artefacts? I am getting this in my scene, shadow bias moves the shadow far from the point of surface contact, and any subtle angles get filled with lines and jagged shadows
    The problem still exists. The shadow slope bias made it a littlebit less obvious at certain areas, but it's still very noticable.

Also:
    Originally posted by II_ADN_II View Post
    Right now, after all this years with UE4, Epic still treat dynamic lighting without the importance it should have. And this is clear by the lack of optimization and the basic problems of shadowmaps such as the one in this thread, wich is 3 years old, and only very recently a small and quick made fix was proposed.
    It's sad that I have to agree with this. Building a game that uses dynamic lighting only has been a struggle ever since, and at every step it feels like Epic sees dynamic lighting as not important.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello, I see this thread was started in 2015, is there still no good solution to cascade shadow artefacts? I am getting this in my scene, shadow bias moves the shadow far from the point of surface contact, and any subtle angles get filled with lines and jagged shadows https://www.dropbox.com/s/sitk16mkx7...51-24.mp4?dl=0

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jonimake View Post
    I'm gonna bump this because I still think that the shadowing tech is rather poor. The additional biasing controls are very helpful and needed but filtering is poor imo. There is the other filter method available using r.shadow.filtermethod 1 (or something like that) but it seems to be pretty broken at the moment. Are there any plans on improving shadow map filtering? I've been replaying a lot of witcher 3 currently and the shadowing tech in that game is way ahead of what UE 4 has currently, the sun rotates smoothly and there's pretty much no visible shimmering or anything going on.
    Just hope modifying the engine was much easier and fast. Right now its about 1h of waiting for compile even the smaller change. Anyone that worked with plugins knows if somehow its possible to use shader files with material types/ lighting or shadow filtering? Basically using plugin ush usf files to perform better filters in shadows or different BRDFs for lighting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm gonna bump this because I still think that the shadowing tech is rather poor. The additional biasing controls are very helpful and needed but filtering is poor imo. There is the other filter method available using r.shadow.filtermethod 1 (or something like that) but it seems to be pretty broken at the moment. Are there any plans on improving shadow map filtering? I've been replaying a lot of witcher 3 currently and the shadowing tech in that game is way ahead of what UE 4 has currently, the sun rotates smoothly and there's pretty much no visible shimmering or anything going on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've tried CryEngine, and though it is definitely more accessible as far as the docs and functionality goes, it has a major issue on my computer where the auto-generated ocean displays with red contour lines on its surface. I checked a ton of things, and went in the appropriate docs to see if there's a setting that accounts for it, but to no avail. It's really interesting that these glaring issues occur at the start of using an engine, rather than well into it. Are the engine developers only testing on the computers they made the engine in? I would think such bugs / errors / issues would be removed before deploying each new version.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by II_ADN_II View Post

Thats not correct. The shadow acne is a very known issue of shadowmaps, and most of engines provide very well known solutions (like slope bias) already integrated. Its not neccesary to "hide them with props" as they are already solved for the most part. Popular engines such as unity or cryengine doesnt have issues with shadow acne except very exteme cases. Its a shame that a very popular engine as unreal to have this critical ancient problems.Even despite dynamic lighting having more and more importance every year.

Its not a secret that UE was never good with dynamic lighting, as it was made with baked lighting in mind (thing that does extremely well). In the late years of UE3 we got very basic dynamic lighting that work very well at the time with the baked one. Right now, after all this years with UE4, Epic still treat dynamic lighting without the importance it should have. And this is clear by the lack of optimization and the basic problems of shadowmaps such as the one in this thread, wich is 3 years old, and only very recently a small and quick made fix was proposed.

Thanks for the extra information. When I mentioned about hiding acne with props, I was mentioning games based on UE2.5 and UE3 which I was aware of and that uses large scale terrains, since most of them are MMOs. I saw acne present in game titles using CryEngine, but then I can't say if that was just lack of polishing or an issue which couldn't be workarounded.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

It is not a problem unique in Unreal Engine, it is present on different game engines. You won't see them showing up at large in game titles because their art direction took measures to hide these artifacts, being with foliage, rocks, other meshes. Not every game can rely on tricks like these.
    Thats not correct. The shadow acne is a very known issue of shadowmaps, and most of engines provide very well known solutions (like slope bias) already integrated. Its not neccesary to "hide them with props" as they are already solved for the most part. Popular engines such as unity or cryengine doesnt have issues with shadow acne except very exteme cases. Its a shame that a very popular engine as unreal to have this critical ancient problems.Even despite dynamic lighting having more and more importance every year.

Its not a secret that UE was never good with dynamic lighting, as it was made with baked lighting in mind (thing that does extremely well). In the late years of UE3 we got very basic dynamic lighting that work very well at the time with the baked one. Right now, after all this years with UE4, Epic still treat dynamic lighting without the importance it should have. And this is clear by the lack of optimization and the basic problems of shadowmaps such as the one in this thread, wich is 3 years old, and only very recently a small and quick made fix was proposed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by preston42382 View Post
    I have shadow lines in surfaces of the platforms in the 3rd person shooter template level. I've tried a ton of potential workarounds, and adjusting settings, turning off and on various things, moving the directional light / tweaking its properties...and more. Not anything works! How is it games were made in Unreal Engine, whether this version or previous ones, with dynamic lighting and didn't have the shadow artefacts problems that are so frequently written about in the forums and AnswerHub?
    It is not a problem unique in Unreal Engine, it is present on different game engines. You won't see them showing up at large in game titles because their art direction took measures to hide these artifacts, being with foliage, rocks, other meshes. Not every game can rely on tricks like these.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have shadow lines in surfaces of the platforms in the 3rd person shooter template level. I've tried a ton of potential workarounds, and adjusting settings, turning off and on various things, moving the directional light / tweaking its properties...and more. Not anything works! How is it games were made in Unreal Engine, whether this version or previous ones, with dynamic lighting and didn't have the shadow artefacts problems that are so frequently written about in the forums and AnswerHub?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Shouldnt the bias distribution be a constant? I mean, it should be dependent on bias and slope bias, but only related to those two. I feel like the value should be a specific value depending on those two values for the best image quality, not user dependent by default.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post

pss.. Black Desert wasn't built on Unreal Engine.
    It's custom lib of tools, not a "engine" at all.
    Whoops... you're right. Someone fed me some bad information in the past, it seems.

I'll leave the post up perhaps to show that the problem is indeed pervasive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X