X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Charles.D2 View Post
    Hi,

Sorry for a long delay and lack of responses in this thread.

During the past weeks, we tried to address a few concerns raised in this thread regarding self-shadowing/shadow-acne. We added two simple mechanisms for that: slope bias (during shadow map rendering), and receiver bias (during the shadow-map fetching). The slope bias is directly controllable per light, and is proportional to the constant bias. With these two parameters in hand (constant bias + slope bias), you should be able to reduce some of the artifacts mentioned in this thread. Receiver bias is setup globally per light types. All types of bias (constant, slope, and receiver) are controllable through global variable per type of lights. These shadow improvements are in final stage of development and will be released with UE4.23

The well-criticized sphere should now appear smoother:

Click image for larger version Name:	1.png Views:	2 Size:	184.0 KB ID:	1616438

Click image for larger version Name:	2.png Views:	1 Size:	383.8 KB ID:	1616436

This should also allow to bring a bit more contact without introducing acne (with manual tweaking).

Click image for larger version Name:	3.png Views:	3 Size:	284.5 KB ID:	1616440

Please bare in mind, these improvements will help but won't solve all your shadowing issues. Shadow maps are hard unfortunately.
    I must be dreaming. Epic actually fixed self-shadowing/shadow-acne for dynamic shadows?!?
    I've been hoping for more work being done on that since the Beta. So that finally actually happening in UE4.23 seems almost surreal.
    Ofc. it won't be perfect, but finally having dynamic shadows that at least look "good enough" would be a very big deal.
    For high end PCs we might switch to RTX eventually, but the regular dynamic shadows will be the fallback for low end machines for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Charles.D2: Will the new parameters help to improve landscape slopes as well?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Charles.D2 View Post
    Hi,

During the past weeks, we tried to address a few concerns raised in this thread regarding self-shadowing/shadow-acne. We added two simple mechanisms for that: slope bias (during shadow map rendering), and receiver bias (during the shadow-map fetching). The slope bias is directly controllable per light, and is proportional to the constant bias. With these two parameters in hand (constant bias + slope bias), you should be able to reduce some of the artifacts mentioned in this thread. Receiver bias is setup globally per light types. All types of bias (constant, slope, and receiver) are controllable through global variable per type of lights. These shadow improvements are in final stage of development and will be released with UE4.23

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t1.png Views:\t2 Size:\t184.0 KB ID:\t1616438","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1616438","data-size":"full"}

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t2.png Views:\t1 Size:\t383.8 KB ID:\t1616436","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1616436","data-size":"full"}

This should also allow to bring a bit more contact without introducing acne (with manual tweaking).

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3.png Views:\t3 Size:\t284.5 KB ID:\t1616440","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1616440","data-size":"medium"}

Please bare in mind, these improvements will help but won't solve all your shadowing issues. Shadow maps are hard unfortunately.
    Thank god this will be in 2.23 T_T Thank you very much, this problem was killing the usability of realtime shadows. Cant wait to test it on 2.23, hope it work as good as other engines

PD: the difference in first image(ground specially) says it all

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	2 Size:	184.0 KB ID:	1616438

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.png Views:	1 Size:	383.8 KB ID:	1616436

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.png Views:	3 Size:	284.5 KB ID:	1616440

Last edited by Charles.D2; 05-07-2019, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Fiasco Games View Post

slope bias option?? where??? in the 4.22????????????

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...8e79a5cc281d83

Those are the changes necessary to integrate the slope bias. Ill give it a try as soon as I have some free time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Zeblote View Post
    Anyone tested the slope bias yet?
    slope bias option?? where??? in the 4.22????????????

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Anyone tested the slope bias yet?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Chosker View Post
    well PCSS would mean replacing broken with expensive. when you're developing for something like the Switch or any other current-gen console, "broken vs expensive" isn't really a choice
    Pretty much this. Even not developing for switch, is it that bad wanting to achieve the best performance possible?
    Originally posted by IOchair View Post
    Ok, I was wrong.
    I just saw the shadow slope bias in dev-rendering
    slope depth bias its the ideal way to solve the problem. Can this behaviour be implemented in the main branch? Can it be moved to a plugin? Are those files the only ones needed to implement the slope bias?

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

I think they will use denoise code on top, but won't use ray tracing at all.
    Denoise usually means way more expensive than the traditional solution.

Originally posted by Skylonxe View Post
    I belive it may be because of "Lightmass 2.0".

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ngines-unigine
    Wow, the voxel solution in the video is beautiful. That thread was a year ago, and no news on this topic (T_T)

And by the way, shadow proxyes or shadows with lower LODs will be helpful on improving performance for sure.
    Last edited by II_ADN_II; 05-02-2019, 07:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kalle_H View Post

Can you share link for this change?
    https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...8e79a5cc281d83

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, I was wrong.
    Can you share link for this change?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, I was wrong.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well PCSS would mean replacing broken with expensive. when you're developing for something like the Switch or any other current-gen console, "broken vs expensive" isn't really a choice

Leave a comment:

• replied
    PCSS is mentioned at Roadmap as future releases, no ETA. https://trello.com/b/TTAVI7Ny/ue4-roadmap

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry, there is no source. I heard from a company employee who can seek business technical support from Unreal.
    Okay so basically a hoax. Got it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry, there is no source. I heard from a company employee who can seek business technical support from Unreal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X