Dynamic shadows artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    It´s a shadow bias problem with 4.14.(3). I know that low poly objects in some cases may look a little bit faceted.Usually the bias is there to fix this in exchange of accuracy. But this is not the problem here. It´s the way shadow Bias works in 4.14. SSAO makes no difference btw. To reproduce the problem. Create a new project in 4.14.3, place a sphere over the floor object and switch the directional light to moveable. You will notice the facetes in the object. When you now increase the shadow bias to the slider max value of 1 it will get a bit better. If you now set the value even higher by hand to a value of 2 it will get a lot better. When you set it to 5 the problem is gone and the shadows are still there wich is not how it should be with such high bias values. A wild guess, the shadow bias value is getting multiplied in a wrong way in 4.14. or something like that. In 4.13 much smaller values that are still in range of the default slider max value will produce the same result as a value of 5 in 4.14, while a value of 5 in 4.13 will produce no shadows at all with an object of that size.
    Last edited by netfrag-sam; 01-13-2017, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have the exact same problem:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ing-not-smooth

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Try turning off SSAO and see if the problem disappears.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've been getting this for a while now, not just 4.14
    curious for a solution

Leave a comment:

• started a topic [RENDERING] Dynamic shadows artifacts

Dynamic shadows artifacts

I just realized that a default sphere renders different in 4.14 compared to 4.13. It does not seem to happen with imported objects, so far. But as I´m about to start a bigger project I want to make sure I don´t run into trouble because of this, later. See attached screenshot. The 4.14 sphere looks faceted. I tried different lighting and shadow options but I can´t seem to fix it. Maybe it´s just the sphere that is broken ?
    Attached Files
Working...
X