Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamic shadows artifacts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    all this is so incredible that i think this is a Epic strategy to make sure that only a "certain èlite" of pro developers can make a game with UE, and "little indies gamedev" not.

    Comment


      Originally posted by littl3_4ngel View Post
      all this is so incredible that i think this is a Epic strategy to make sure that only a "certain èlite" of pro developers can make a game with UE, and "little indies gamedev" not.
      Well not really, but it's true though that Epic doesn't care about the small indie devs. They use them to market their engines, but that's about the level of "support" you will ever get.

      Comment


        Originally posted by spacegojira View Post

        Well not really, but it's true though that Epic doesn't care about the small indie devs. They use them to market their engines, but that's about the level of "support" you will ever get.
        Well, it's not exactly feasible to offer individual support for every single indie dev using the engine for free. That's just too many people and too many questions to answer. Yeah, the answer hub isn't the best, but is there really a better option?

        I just think it's silly to assume EPIC doesn't care for you just because you can't get premium support for something you're getting free access to.

        Comment


          Originally posted by ConverseFox View Post

          Well, it's not exactly feasible to offer individual support for every single indie dev using the engine for free. That's just too many people and too many questions to answer. Yeah, the answer hub isn't the best, but is there really a better option?

          I just think it's silly to assume EPIC doesn't care for you just because you can't get premium support for something you're getting free access to.
          Why do people always come out and be like "oh don't be so entitled".

          No one who complained about a lack of support from Epic ever said that they aren't getting premium support for free, and I doubt you can give me a single example of someone asking for that. And I also doubt that there is a lot of people who actually write an email to epic to get individual project support, people write on the forum (or answerhub) for that.

          It's about the lack of responses to support emails regarding account problems, the decreasing responses on the forum by epic staff even about gamebreaking problems (this discussion is the best example), the often ignored support requests regarding the marketplace (by both customers and creators), how long it took them to implement a proper account security, the many problems regarding the marketplace and launcher UI that have been adressed so many times already by people on the forums, ...

          Also, the Engine isn't really free and you know that.
          Last edited by spacegojira; 02-24-2019, 12:21 PM.

          Comment


            Originally posted by spacegojira View Post

            Why do people always come out and be like "oh don't be so entitled".

            No one who complained about a lack of support from Epic ever said that they aren't getting premium support for free, and I doubt you can give me a single example of someone asking for that. And I also doubt that there is a lot of people who actually write an email to epic to get individual project support, people write on the forum (or answerhub) for that.

            It's about the lack of responses to support emails regarding account problems, the decreasing responses on the forum by epic staff even about gamebreaking problems (this discussion is the best example), the often ignored support requests regarding the marketplace (by both customers and creators), how long it took them to implement a proper account security, the many problems regarding the marketplace and launcher UI that have been adressed so many times already by people on the forums, ...

            Also, the Engine isn't really free and you know that.
            You're taking this out of context. I'm not talking about marketplace/launcher support/UI nor account problems/security. I completely agree those things need more attention from EPIC.

            I'm strictly talking about anybody who downloaded the engine completely free expecting a responses/acknowledgment from EPIC regarding the engine/project support. Be it from these forums, answerhub, or through email. There are a lot of people using the engine without having spent a single cent on it. Expecting responses/acknowledgment is what I mean by premium support, and EPIC just can't guarantee that to all those people. There is a reason UDN exists. You can't just assume there's not enough people emailing them to warrant the equivalent of premium support.

            EDIT: This is a good example of how EPIC views UDN and Answerhub (the forum should probably be grouped in with the Answerhub since it's also available to everyone). Link with a timestamp at 40 minutes 51 seconds: https://youtu.be/2edoacF53F0?t=2451
            Last edited by ConverseFox; 02-24-2019, 09:26 PM.

            Comment


              Originally posted by ConverseFox View Post

              You're taking this out of context. I'm not talking about marketplace/launcher support/UI nor account problems/security. I completely agree those things need more attention from EPIC.

              I'm strictly talking about anybody who downloaded the engine completely free expecting a responses/acknowledgment from EPIC regarding the engine/project support. Be it from these forums, answerhub, or through email. There are a lot of people using the engine without having spent a single cent on it. Expecting responses/acknowledgment is what I mean by premium support, and EPIC just can't guarantee that to all those people. There is a reason UDN exists. You can't just assume there's not enough people emailing them to warrant the equivalent of premium support.

              EDIT: This is a good example of how EPIC views UDN and Answerhub (the forum should probably be grouped in with the Answerhub since it's also available to everyone). Link with a timestamp at 40 minutes 51 seconds: https://youtu.be/2edoacF53F0?t=2451

              The problem its not the money. The problem is the extreme lack of basic documentation of UE4 compared to other engines. And by the way, I should say that unreal its a overcomplicated engine. Very rigid internally, but trying to be flexible on the exterior.

              BTW, how to access UDN?
              Last edited by II_ADN_II; 02-27-2019, 01:57 PM.
              Check 3d tips! POLY DNA

              Comment


                Bump, because it's still not fixed and no progress seems to be made whatsoever.

                Comment


                  Having the same issue =/

                  Comment


                    I mean . If shadow filter work back in 4.13 , what happened to it in 4.14 ? Maybe we can figure it out by comparing the shadow filter side by side ?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by IOchair View Post
                      I mean . If shadow filter work back in 4.13 , what happened to it in 4.14 ? Maybe we can figure it out by comparing the shadow filter side by side ?
                      It didnt work in 4.13. The 4.13 settings make less noticeable artifacts in engine default scenes. But the problem was equally evident when you put something more than a sphere in an empty scene with a directional light.

                      As some users said, the solution is a shadow slope based bias integration in the shadow calculation.
                      Check 3d tips! POLY DNA

                      Comment


                        Same problem for me, makes the landscapes look faceted.

                        Comment


                          So, since epic doesn't seem to care about this, has anyone tried implementing this slope bias thing? It can't be the most complex thing in the world right?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Zeblote View Post
                            So, since epic doesn't seem to care about this, has anyone tried implementing this slope bias thing? It can't be the most complex thing in the world right?
                            I did get reply to my workaround PR.
                            Thank you for your contribution to the Engine. One of our engineers updated the internal tracking ticket for this pull request and noted that we are currently working on a more advanced solution for this same issue. -Tim

                            Comment


                              Please don't tell me the "more advanced" solution is ray tracing..

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Zeblote View Post
                                Please don't tell me the "more advanced" solution is ray tracing..
                                I think they will use denoise code on top, but won't use ray tracing at all.
                                Nilson Lima
                                Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                                Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

                                UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                                supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X