No announcement yet.

Dynamic shadows artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, as of 4.21, the issue still exists. Hello Epic, didn't you say you're now working on it?

Comment

BUMP!!
      Want to know from EPIC.
      In addition to slope bias It could be very helpfull to be capable of adjust the shadowdepth inside the material, to allow better shadows on noisy objects such as trees and vegetation. Another posibility will be to adjust alpha bias in masked materials for the shadows (completely masked objects to cast shadows, or adjust shadows in complicated masks).
      Last edited by II_ADN_II; 11-21-2018, 01:14 PM.
      Check 3d tips! POLY DNA

Comment

Originally posted by II_ADN_II View Post
        BUMP!!
        Want to know from EPIC.
        In addition to slope bias It could be very helpfull to be capable of adjust the shadowdepth inside the material, to allow better shadows on noisy objects such as trees and vegetation. Another posibility will be to adjust alpha bias in masked materials for the shadows (completely masked objects to cast shadows, or adjust shadows in complicated masks).
        if your alpha texture has a gradient you can very easily control the alpha bias in the shadow pass within the material, you just need a lerp with one opacity multiplier value for the base pass and another value for the shadow pass.
        more info here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...02#post1471402
        Follow me on Twitter!
        Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
        Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post

if your alpha texture has a gradient you can very easily control the alpha bias in the shadow pass within the material, you just need a lerp with one opacity multiplier value for the base pass and another value for the shadow pass.
          more info here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...02#post1471402
          Awesome, thank you!! This allows to cast shadow without render to the main pass or viceversa. It is possible to change the position of the shadow also, but Is there a way to change the shadow depth per pixel?

PD: Is it possible to acces other passes with instructions via custom node?
          PD2: Can I acces the cubemap in the shader without modify the engine?

EDIT: This can be used to achive a primitive slope bias, that actually correct the problems mentioned in the thread with the out of the box UE4. Im having a little trouble to get the it working on point lights tho.
          Last edited by II_ADN_II; 11-22-2018, 07:37 AM.
          Check 3d tips! POLY DNA

Comment

Awesome, thank you!! This allows to cast shadow without render to the main pass or viceversa. It is possible to change the position of the shadow also, but Is there a way to change the shadow depth per pixel?
            yes you can you use it many ways, just keep in mind that you're adding to the shader cost.
            setting the main mesh to be invisible but the shadows visible would be possible yes (but AFAIK you can do that by making it hidden but cast hidden shadows)
            changing the position of the shadow is possible as well if you use this in the WorldPositionOffset output
            I don't get what you mean with "change the shadow depth per pixel" though

PD: Is it possible to acces other passes with instructions via custom node?
            I know for sure that customdepth isn't accessible without engine modifications. other passes I don't know if it's possible to access them. what other passes would you have in mind?

PD2: Can I acces the cubemap in the shader without modify the engine?
            you can access the scene's postprocess ambientcubemap but I don't have the info atm (but I'm not sure anyone uses the ambient cubemap anymore). I'm not sure if you can access the skylight's cubemap. you can definitely not access the local reflection cubemaps.

EDIT: This can be used to achive a primitive slope bias, that actually correct the problems mentioned in the thread with the out of the box UE4. Im having a little trouble to get the it working on point lights tho.
            to a certain extent it can help, yes.
            In my UE3-based game I reduced the shadow bias a lot to have much more "contacting" shadows, and using this method in the level geometry materials alleviated the shadow acne significantly. That was UE3 though which was already abandoned by that time, and I only introduced the issue by setting the shadow bias to values that are usually outside of reason.
            Having it UE4 which is actively worked on, and having the issue out of the box should put the problem on a different perspective
            Follow me on Twitter!
            Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
            Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

So in the end, is someone fixing the default shadow filter?

Comment

Hope epic show up and clarify if this issue its been solved.
                Check 3d tips! POLY DNA

Comment

It's not been solved.
                  Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

Comment

Hope epic show up and clarify if this issue its been solved.
                    This issue has not been solved at all. KalleH and a few others are working in their free time to build a solution, so far it seems Epic hasn't done anything to fix it.

You can easily replicate this issue by creating a new level with a landscape (sculpt some hills) and set the lights to movable. Then have a look at the shadows on the landscape.
                    Last edited by spacegojira; 11-30-2018, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spacegojira View Post

This issue has not been solved at all. KalleH and a few others are working in their free time to build a solution, so far it seems Epic hasn't done anything to fix it.

You can easily replicate this issue by creating a new level with a landscape (sculpt some hills) and set the lights to movable. Then have a look at the shadows on the landscape.
                      Sorry, I mean that I hope Epic show up and say something about this issue. Its a very important one that has been solved more than a decade ago in the videogame industry. Its an important handicap to all full dynamic lighting games.
                      Check 3d tips! POLY DNA

Comment

Sorry, I mean that I hope Epic show up and say something about this issue. Its a very important one that has been solved more than a decade ago in the videogame industry. Its an important handicap to all full dynamic lighting games.
                        Oh my post was not an attack against you, sorry if it sounded harsh. And yes I agree with you, 100%. It seems to me that Epic tries to just ignore this issue until someone from the community fixes it for them (for free) or a big industry customer comes around and demands a fix.

Comment

Bumb, as of 4.21 last patch, the issue still exists. It's impossible to use the landscape feature (or any kind of soft landscape) because of this shading issue.

Comment

Still a problem.

Comment

Yea we've run into this issue at our studio as well. Pretty frustrating and sometimes hard to hide.

Comment

It's been 2 years since this issue appeared... It still tends to destroy dynamically lit scenes, especially a smooth stylized ones.
                                It would be really nice if dynamic lighting could get more love from Epic.

Comment

Working...
                                X