No announcement yet.

Dynamic shadows artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deathrey: Have you this PR integrated when you do testing? https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/4507

Comment

Originally posted by Kalle_H View Post
      Deathrey: Have you this PR integrated when you do testing? https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/4507
      Yep, I have.

Comment

Bumping this to increase the chance for Epic to enter this thread.

Comment

I can confirm that this problem still exists in version 4.19, nothing has changed yet.

Comment

4.20 seems to be different. 4.20.0 has a different type dynamic shadows artifact

Comment

Originally posted by IOchair View Post
              4.20 seems to be different. 4.20.0 has a different type dynamic shadows artifact
              Can you take a screenshot of this? I still have the same artifact in 4.20 that I had in all the previous versions. Nothing has been fixed it seems.

Comment

Hi, I have a dynamic low poly landscape with a directional light, and any time I turn on shadows, I get horrible shadow acne at certain angles. The bias is already at 0.3, and increasing it doesn't do much (until it's like 1, and then the shadows look detached). In Unity, I'm used to some shadow acne when the light source is almost perpendicular to the face of the shadowed triangle, but this seems pretty extreme. Most of the triangles affected have fairly different face directions. Is there anything that can be done? I saw there were some pull requests months ago, but I'm not sure if they help with this problem. (I'm using 4.20)

I've attached an example (TAA turned off to show it more accurately).
                Attached Files
                Last edited by aviator801; 08-08-2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

So...not even an official statement about this?

Comment

Yeah this is really bad, even with full shadow biasing there's still errors, in addition to the shadows accuracy going down the drain.
                    Anime Shading Model - Twitter

Comment

Hm seems like Epic is still trying to ignore it's indie gamedev users and their problems..

It totally messes up my procedually generated voxel landscape, it's just super immersion breaking.
                      Last edited by spacegojira; 09-05-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

If this bug is not fixed now, it will never need to be fixed. Because it is a generation of ray tracing soon, and I don't need to consider performance as a CGer

Comment

Originally posted by spacegojira View Post
                          Hm seems like Epic is still trying to ignore it's indie gamedev users and their problems..

It totally messes up my procedually generated voxel landscape, it's just super immersion breaking.
                          Epic is now a mega wealthy company thanks to Fortnite : ) they should be able to hire a whole dedicated department to fix this stuff easily....
                          Originally posted by IOchair View Post
                          If this bug is not fixed now, it will never need to be fixed. Because it is a generation of ray tracing soon, and I don't need to consider performance as a CGer
                          LOL that seems like it...

Comment

I made PR for my improvements for Closer percentage soft shadows.
                            https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/5099

Comment

Originally posted by Kalle_H View Post
                              I made PR for my improvements for Closer percentage soft shadows.
                              https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/5099
                              that looks ace, but your screenshots don't seem too show how it impacts the "hard edged shadows" discussed in this thread. does it improve that in any way?
                              now lets just wait 6 months for the PR to be looked at :P
                              Follow me on Twitter!
                              Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                              Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

It helps but it's not enough by it self.

Comment

Working...
                                X