Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
    if we keep the thread up maybe they'll end up acknowledging it

btw I'm sure I saw this very issue in FortniteBR, I just don't have the evidence
    Yuo can see it clearly in Xmas season battle bus.

Comment

yep got some evidence now

btw is it me or does Fortnite completely ignore Landscape for the terrain to rely on static meshes? :O
      Follow me on Twitter!
      Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
      Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Originally posted by Zeblote View Post

This is caused by shadows. Shadows don't actually work at all for orthographic cameras, so the problem will not appear.
        Simply false. You can rotate the light in an ortho mode in a mesh-viewer without issue. Shadows look clean. Switch to perspective and the shadows become blocky. Like I said, the fix is to simply factor the perspective matrix into the shadowing. I'd do it myself but the rendering pipeline is closed source.

Ortho camera is broken in-world it appears. It's unrelated, but the issue probably involves the lack of the perspective matrix.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohriginal View Post

Simply false. You can rotate the light in an ortho mode in a mesh-viewer without issue. Shadows look clean. Switch to perspective and the shadows become blocky. Like I said, the fix is to simply factor the perspective matrix into the shadowing. I'd do it myself but the rendering pipeline is closed source.

Ortho camera is broken in-world it appears. It's unrelated, but the issue probably involves the lack of the perspective matrix.
          There is no shadow in orthographic mode. You're mistaking the direct light fading out on backfaces for shadows.

Also, all code is available on github. Unreal has no closed source parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohriginal View Post

What do you mean rendering pipeline is closed source? Everything is on Github: for example shadow rendering is here https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...wRendering.cpp

If you want to check the shaders they're under Engine/Shaders.

Comment

@Ohriginal: An easy way to verify for yourself what Zeblote is saying:
              Create a new scene with a directional light and a sphere, and toggle "Cast Shadows" on the light on and off.

Comment

to elaborate a little on the mesh viewer itself...

Click image for larger version

Name:	meshviewershadows.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1402652
                Follow me on Twitter!
                Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

I have the feeling Epic is trying to ignore this and keep it under the rug for as long as they can, until some major company calls them out for it publicly. Then there will be a fix right in the next engine version.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                    yep got some evidence now

btw is it me or does Fortnite completely ignore Landscape for the terrain to rely on static meshes? :O
                    Yeah Epic don't use their landscape system, and tbh the landscape performance and quaility is another topic to talk about...

Fortnite used meshes per zones the world of fornite are random generated so place meshes per zones of 20x20m +- to build a puzzle level for say it in some way.

Seems like this still no fixed.

Happy New Year
                    Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
                    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Personally even if Epic doesn't want to address this problem at this time, I would like to know what is causing it and if there is a solution for it, since i've seen it come up in other realtime software, can someone explain why is it such a universal problem? is it a hardware limitation thing or software or...?

Comment

Originally posted by William K View Post
                        Personally even if Epic doesn't want to address this problem at this time, I would like to know what is causing it and if there is a solution for it, since i've seen it come up in other realtime software, can someone explain why is it such a universal problem? is it a hardware limitation thing or software or...?
                        This is more or less universal problem for shadow mapping algorithms.
                        A bit more details under the spoiler.

Spoiler
                        Last edited by Deathrey; 01-01-2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks Deathrey . It greatly enlightned the issue for me now. I shall meditate on this for a while.
                          Nilson Lima
                          Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                          Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                          supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrey View Post
                            Receiver plane depth bias is implemented for PCSS shadows, but not for ordinary percentage closer shadow filtering, which is default.
                            Would it be a simple change to copy this over to normal shadows?

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrey View Post
                              This is more or less universal problem for shadow mapping algorithms.
                              A bit more details under the spoiler.

]
                              Hey thanks man for taking the time to explain this, any guesses on the pros and cons as to why Epic may not have chosen the latter two options that would result with relatively better shadowing?

Comment

Originally posted by William K View Post

Hey thanks man for taking the time to explain this, any guesses on the pros and cons as to why Epic may not have chosen the latter two options that would result with relatively better shadowing?
                                I think before used to have this look better, aswell someone posted screenshots from realtime shadows of Crysis 2 that is a 7 years old now game that looks better than this...

If someone want to make raytracing in realtime there sure is a hardware performance problem, but there is always other ways so...
                                Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
                                Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Working...
                                X