No announcement yet.

Dynamic shadows artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that the team I'm on has started creating our map, we've run into this issue as well. Honestly, how is it okay for this issue to still persist? Basically, dynamically lit terrains are just gonna look awful unless you enable PCSS in 4.17 or increase shadow bias (which causes issues). Like, I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around slope bias not being a thing here. I have not made one post on these forums that was overly negative towards Epic since I've been a member here, but this is ridiculous. Epic boasts about extreme visual fidelity but then you have stuff like what Maximum-Dev and Deathrey are posting and it's just not consistent with such claims. Of course there are workarounds that have been posted, but they aren't really viable solutions. I know I'm coming across as sounding entitled, and that's not what I'm aiming to do, but this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.
    Last edited by JamesEmory; 07-26-2017, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Happening in Paragon as well
      SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
      Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

That looks really bad. I mean, not "OH GOD BURN IT" but it's clearly below the quality level of everything else and reduces immersion. It's eye catching in plenty of cases, though. Not sure why this hasn't been fixed. It would be a huge improvement.

Comment

This deserves a bump...
          Follow me on Twitter!
          Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
          Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

I was not aware of this issue as most of my models dont have it, however after adding my tree's in I get this issue. I am on 4.17.1 and it is still very much a real concern here.

Comment

It would be great to use normal offset shadows to remove/reduce acne while not introducing peter panning. Although I'm guessing the reason this hasn't been done is that it requires actual vertex normals stored and sent to the shader (i.e. g-buffer room), as deriving surface normals with partial derivatives using ddx/ddy result in the problem of edge handling not being possible.

Comment

Is Epic working on this or are they still ignoring it? I have the exact same problems in my project and it's so immersion breaking it's horrible..

I can't even publish screenshots of the environment because of this..
                Last edited by spacegojira; 11-04-2017, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Bump, having this issue also.
                  www.artstation.com/kurtmitchell

Comment

I haven't noticed any work on github regarding the shadows in ages.

Comment

Artstation
                      Join the support channel
                      Gumroad Store

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
                        -___-
                        Yes that's how we all feel..

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
                          I think it's about time someone from Epic look into this problem.
                          The blocky shading is too problematic.
                          Goodluck

Comment

Maybe this mess will sort itself out if we ignore it long enough?

Comment

oh, i was wondering what was causing this.

+1 for please fix

Comment

I got to put my hands in several games not developed with UE and checked if this happens or not... Im still playing them... not doing my job as supposed to... but, up to now didn't find the issues in any of them... lol Im losing money here... -_-
                                Last edited by NilsonLima; 12-16-2017, 04:38 PM. Reason: numb by playing too much
                                Nilson Lima
                                Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                                Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                                supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X