This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

* * * [QUESTION + POLL] - UE4 Fast BSP Editing? * * *

(If this is in the wrong thread, please move it )

Will UE4 have a 'Fast Edit Mode' for BSP? I just want to *CLICK* with left/right mouse buttons to quickly add/remove BSP blocks, like I can in some other engines(like Cube 2...or Minecraft), without having to do the *ADD/SUBTRACT BSP* hotkeys every time(and constantly change brush parameters)... Additionally, BSP should automatically optimize itself, like when working with clay(or Sculptris) instead of hundreds of LEGO pieces.

You can't add lots of layout detail, or do lots of edits, quickly at all with the previous/"traditional" Unreal BSP tools, and that is something to be improved upon in my book. I'm sick of the old BSP tools; how about you..?

Example A
    Example B
    Example C
    Yes, traditional Unreal add/subtract BSP tools are tedious and sucky!
    0%
    No, the BSP tools are fast enough...I love carpal-tunnel!
    100.00%
    I want something other than 'Fast Edit BSP' or traditional Unreal BSP tools.
    0%
    Last edited by CT007; 07-13-2014, 04:08 PM.

No.

What people do not realize (or they forget) that UE4 is not a Mod Tool. All examples of the Cube2 engine or Minecraft are not even in the same category as the power and intended use of BSPs. If you want this kind of functionality, you can always make it yourself via Blueprints or code.

UE4 BSPs are a huge advancement from UE3 and are incredibly streamlined. I would suggest anyone who thinks of it as slow may want to re-evaluate what they are trying to do with it. Geometry Edit > Extend / Extrude ... Much faster than any block placement system, and it's in UE4 already.

BSP's are designed just to test volume, perspective and rough layout... it's not designed to be a creator for real level geometry.
    Last edited by CT Deception; 07-13-2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zortalas View Post
      If you want this kind of functionality, you can always make it yourself via Blueprints or code.
      I'm not a coder, so I'd love to see someone make this happen(if possible?). Didn't know you could make new tools like that, hm.

Originally posted by Zortalas View Post
      UE4 BSPs are a huge advancement from UE3 and are incredibly streamlined. I would suggest anyone who thinks of it as slow may want to re-evaluate what they are trying to do with it. Geometry Edit > Extend / Extrude ... Much faster than any block placement system, and it's in UE4 already.

BSP's are designed just to test volume, perspective and rough layout... it's not designed to be a creator for real level geometry.
      Most levels are made of BSP though, correct? If that's the main structure of a level, why not design the BSP tools to be as fast as possible(or have an alternate 'Fast BSP Mode')? I have no idea what "not even in the same category as the power and intended use of BSP" means... You use it to make level structure, right? So the faster the better, right? BSP walls don't have structural strength, like an AutoCAD design?

I'm not sure what the new UE4 BSP tools are like yet, but UE3 was not enough. Is there a link to how the new tools operate? Thanks.
      Last edited by CT007; 07-13-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Cube 2 isn't an engine, it's another game entirely. Minecraft is based on a voxel engine, which UE4 is not.

I haven't had any issues with speed in terms of BSP editing, and many of the maps I have been working on begin as BSP only. I convert them to static meshes, bring them into a 3D editing program such as mudbox, and make adjustments where necessary. For geometrically complex levels, meshes are better.

If you're interested in building things with minecraft, you can export to an OBJ file for further editing, or simply just bring those assets into UE4. Before doing that, though, I'd try and give the existing BSP tools another chance - I just don't see how building in Minecraft is any quicker than blocking out a level in BSP.

Comment

Originally posted by CT007 View Post
          Most levels are made of BSP though, correct?
          That is incorrect. A lot of levels start off as BSP's, and then most assets are replaced with artists meshes - the BSP's are representational, often times not final - placeholders, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc View Post
            Cube 2 isn't an engine, it's another game entirely. Minecraft is based on a voxel engine, which UE4 is not.

I haven't had any issues with speed in terms of BSP editing, and many of the maps I have been working on begin as BSP only. I convert them to static meshes, bring them into a 3D editing program such as mudbox, and make adjustments where necessary. For geometrically complex levels, meshes are better.

If you're interested in building things with minecraft, you can export to an OBJ file for further editing, or simply just bring those assets into UE4. Before doing that, though, I'd try and give the existing BSP tools another chance - I just don't see how building in Minecraft is any quicker than blocking out a level in BSP.
            Cube is an engine, that has live editing, similar to Unreal's "play in editor". Yes, voxels... Voxels are the future, right? That's what Carmack was working on as the next step beyond proceduralized textures, so we aren't limited by static meshes anymore. I have actually done tests with voxel editors and exporting chunks from Minecraft levels, but workarounds are just that.

Minecraft-style "quick block editing" is faster, in ways, because you can add/edit detail quickly(that I'm not aware is possible in Unreal yet). You are editing with a "block brush", instead of using tools and parameters. It's like sculpting detail in Mudbox, VS hand-modeling the same details. A live brush, VS a bunch of separate BSP shapes. Unless UE4 had some amazing BSP updates, it can't edit details this fast. Another example is simply to try making a Minecraft style map in Unreal. It's not about blocks necessarily, but about fast details. This philosophy holds true for 2D & 3D apps as well, in my book.

Originally posted by Havoc View Post
            That is incorrect. A lot of levels start off as BSP's, and then most assets are replaced with artists meshes - the BSP's are representational, often times not final - placeholders, if you will.
            For professional work, sure...but that isn't the majority of us. The average custom map has significant BSP, I think. I don't have time for 100% custom map content, so I just want fast BSP tools, like other engines have. I prefer the look of BSP over meshes, graphically and gameplay(collision)-wise, as many others do in the UT forum(and other competitive FPS games).
            Last edited by CT007; 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

If you want to talk about this, go to one of the other threads here:
              https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...evel-designers
              https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ow-and-tedious

Comment

Originally posted by CT007 View Post
                The average custom map has significant BSP, I think.
                The average custom map consists nearly 95% out of meshes. BSP are normally just here to block the player with simple geometry (so just a wall) or to build the ground structure of the map (but they will be replaced with meshes in the later dev. process).

In my opinion BSP brushes are alreay pretty fast to edit and modify, but it could be that I'm just too used to it (1,5 years of UDK and nearly 1 year of UE4 experience)

Comment

Working...
                X