Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Level Design tools not quite fast enough, for solo level designers.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But yes, voxels are the future
    For static terrain (and maybe even modifiable terrain) I would buy that. But for characters, and props, and architecture, and details, not so much.

The C4 engine built a pretty good voxel-based terrain system a few years back, and it's still going strong. Voxels are great for plains/tunnels/caves/hills/whatever. But the processing and memory required when you need to sculpt specific details "off axis" make them not well suited to details, or things that animate. Triangles meshes will be cheaper for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by jwatte View Post
      For static terrain (and maybe even modifiable terrain) I would buy that. But for characters, and props, and architecture, and details, not so much.

The C4 engine built a pretty good voxel-based terrain system a few years back, and it's still going strong. Voxels are great for plains/tunnels/caves/hills/whatever. But the processing and memory required when you need to sculpt specific details "off axis" make them not well suited to details, or things that animate. Triangles meshes will be cheaper for a long time.
      Have you seen Everquest Next/Landmark?
      I was quite impressed by level of detail and angles this engine can handle
      SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
      Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Originally posted by CT007 View Post
        Minecraft is a game, with a live voxel editor, I believe... But yes, voxels are the future, and static meshes will be going out the door as well as BSP eventually.
        No.

Voxels weren't the future in the 90s, they weren't the future ten years ago, and they still aren't not. They are a niche technique with high overhead and limited practical applications.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
          No.

Voxels weren't the future in the 90s, they weren't the future ten years ago, and they still aren't not. They are a niche technique with high overhead and limited practical applications.
          Modern game development is only like 10 years old... We're in the baby stages for sure. 3D apps are mostly immature yet, as well. I'd give another 10 years just for the tools to improve to where they all should be, let alone the game tech.

Originally posted by Jason Forrester View Post
          I'm just curious...
          Does anyone think that Voxels will become the new big thing in the future replacing Static Meshes and BSP brushes?

I'm all for change in game development, but I have to say that's a pretty big jump considering most voxel-based games are pixelated at the moment.

~ Jason
          I don't have a problem with static meshes, I just want more flexibility/options for those of us who don't want to go that far down the pipeline to make quality levels. If voxels don't come first, we will have editors that have modeling, sculpting, painting, mapping, etc tools all in the same program...or some easy way to immediately connect assets to the editor(there have been games made directly in Maya, IIRC). Better tools, better integration, and better tech!
          Last edited by CT007; 07-15-2014, 01:27 AM.

Comment

No.

You're too prejudiced.
            Check out Everquest Landmark gameplay videos
            SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
            Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Bsp have a 3000 years of antiquity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	temple.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1052607

Move along!!

Comment

Some more examples of relatively simple detail not possible(or extremely tedious) with traditional Unreal BSP tools:

Last edited by CT007; 07-15-2014, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Well, looks like I found the solution: Geometry tools 2.0! Vote for it here!

(Discussed in this thread)

Comment

Well, looks like I found the solution: Geometry tools 2.0! Vote for it here!

(Discussed in this thread)
                    Voted.

If UE4 could have level making this fast and intuitive, I would be even more amazed.

Comment

@Smozius I Think that you spend more or less the same time do it this with unreal Bsp, and saved a lot of triangles.

Comment

voxels are the future, and static meshes will be going out the door
                        Static Meshes are going to be around a very, VERY long time.

Cube 2 looks very good, and in theory you could do that with BSP, you'd just bake it down to a less complex mesh and have to 'build' everytime you run the editor, or face high performance problems. The problem is, that's a hell of a lot of work for what is really a redundant tool.

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
                          You're too prejudiced.
                          Check out Everquest Landmark gameplay videos
                          I don't need to watch the videos, I've played it - it's an example of a niche application :P

It's basically a high-resolution minecraft, with system specifications to match:
                          Recommended System Requirements:

OS – Windows 7 64 bit
                          Processor – Intel i5 Quad Core or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
                          Memory – 8GB RAM
                          Hard Drive – 20GB Free
                          Video Memory – 1,024 MB RAM
                          Video Card – nVidia GeForce GTX 560 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher

All that to run a game that's pretty damned ugly (and a lot of the detailing is still handled with polygonal geometry anyway). Working with the tools isn't really all that quick either. Honestly, I'd rather stick with brushes.

Comment

I don't need to watch the videos, I've played it - it's an example of a niche application :P

It's basically a high-resolution minecraft, with system specifications to match:

All that to run a game that's pretty damned ugly (and a lot of the detailing is still handled with polygonal geometry anyway). Working with the tools isn't really all that quick either. Honestly, I'd rather stick with brushes.
                            I have to agree with it.
                            I also play Landmark from time to time, and while voxels are awesome for certain applications, like creating geological features, terrains, caves, mountains, etc, they are IMO totally useless for creating more detailed objects.
                            Landmark IMO pushed it far to far for it's own good. I'd rather make house in in modo or max, than to grind slowly with voxel brushes, and in the end don't have level of detailing I wanted.
                            https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                              There are 2 theories about this (possibly more), but I really don't see it happening anytime soon, if ever. There are many technologies in the past that were supposed to be the future, only to find it either a pipe dream or a tech that could have been the best if a new tech had not come out while it is in development and become the new thing.

I have heard the voxel wars many times over the years, but have yet to see any other major company come out and repeat Carmacks claims (let alone use it to make a game). So really it depends what happens, but even if it turns out great, there will always be other ways of doing it as well.
                              Makes sense.
                              I mean since Static Meshes still allow for more freedom in placement and editing it makes sense to not take away from that.

I really do wonder how long SM will last though.
                              BSPs became the best and then the worst fairly easily.
                              You have to wonder what someone out there is planning.

~ Jason
                              Jason's Simple Systems

Enemy AI and Patrol: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...troling-damage

Basic Quest System: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ystem-part-1-1

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                                I have to agree with it.
                                I also play Landmark from time to time, and while voxels are awesome for certain applications, like creating geological features, terrains, caves, mountains, etc, they are IMO totally useless for creating more detailed objects.
                                Landmark IMO pushed it far to far for it's own good. I'd rather make house in in modo or max, than to grind slowly with voxel brushes, and in the end don't have level of detailing I wanted.
                                I completely agree with you.
                                Voxels are great for generating.

But nothing can beat the detail you can put into a SM or even a BSP for that matter.

~ Jason
                                Jason's Simple Systems

Enemy AI and Patrol: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...troling-damage

Basic Quest System: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ystem-part-1-1

Comment

Working...
                                X